Redline MTL vs. Stock ATF+4 in Dodge SRT-4 FWD Transaxle

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been curious about the ability of thin ATF fluids protecting high hp fwd transmissions containing differentials all in one housing. I think I've gotten my answer by these two reports, particulary considering the mileage differences. All opinions welcomed. First sample is Redline MTL used 25,000 kms , including some road racing and 1/4 racing, hard driving conditions. Second sample is stock Chrysler ATF+4 with 4 oz of Mopar friction modifier, it was used about half the distance at 10,000 kms, no road racing, but a few 1/4 mile runs. here are the numbers:

Iron - 24 , 81
Aluminum - 5 , 16
Chrome - 0 , 1
Copper - 33 , 22
Lead - 15 , 25
Silicon- 20, 28
Zinc - 2184, 50
Visc cst.- 9.6 , 5.9

I was hoping the copper numbers on the Redline MTL would have been better, but I guess for over double the miles it is still better than the stock atf+4 fluid. Look how little zinc is in the stock fluid compared to Redline MTL, and viscosity is quite low too - very thin.

I've been swapping fluids trying to improve the shifting of this tranny as it hasn't been great. Still lots of copper coming off the snychros I think , with either fluid ?. I'm using Amsoil MTF right now and hope to have a comparison later down the road. I never liked the idea of using a thin ATF fluid in a manual tranny, I think this report confirms my suspicions. thin viscosity, low anti-wear additives, doesn't bode well in high hp applications.

I have particle count info for the atf+4 but I never got any on the Redline MTL sample so not able to compare that info. I can post it if anyone wants to see it though.
love to hear some opinions.

Joey

Joey, I wonder why the Aluminum 3x higher with the ATF+4? Could the ATF be reacting with the Aluminum housing or something?

I'm not sure what the aluminum would be from in the tranny, perhaps bearing material, which would make sense on a thinner fluid such as ATF+4, and almost no anti-wear protection (very low zinc). Our engines use almuminum bearings, perhaps the tranny has some as well as lead bearings. I guess it could also be material from the production process, ATF has some powerful cleaning abilities if nothing else.

Some of the aluminum is from the tranny case. There will always be casting/MFG/machining junk in a new transmission. Some of the drop in PPM's is simply from the "washing" of the tranny when the fluid is changed, and is why I recommend a very early change on ALL OEM fluids.

So, how much of the lower wear with the Redline is due to its higher viscosity and how much is due to its better chemistry? Have you ever had Redline's C+ in it? That would be a very nice, direct comparison if you have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back