Redline and clutch slippage ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did many searches last night and read through many posts and couldn't find wheather RL causes clutch slippage. Everyone seems to like it for it's cleaning ability and I thought it would be perfect for a Sport bike and also my dirt bike. I wanted to run the 10w-40 or 15w-40 and couldn't find a virgin UOA on it. All the other grades seem to have very high moly. 650ppm or so as I recall. I may also use3 quarts of the Rotella T 5w-40 and 1 of the RL to aid w/ cleaning. Thanks in advance

I'm pretty sure I've posted here before. I've been using Red Line for almost a year and have not had any clutch slip issues. There's also a VOA on Red Line 10W-40; I have a printout (at home). It has over 600 PPM of moly.

Don't use Red Line for cleaning--an oil can clean, or lubricate, but not both. Use a cleaner like Auto-Rx to clean.

clutch slippage is a funny thing. lets say for some magical reason you find an oil that is DESIGNED to promote clutch slippage, for whatever reason.

if you use this magic oil in youre bike and drive it easy, you wont expierence clutch slippage.

clutch slippage, with ANY oil, only happens in a couple of circumstances. 1 being a worn out clutch or a clutch that is too light duty for the application, 2 being rev the throttle and dump the clutch (this is aggrivated with a worn out clutch). and 3 being a misadjusted clutch.

just cruising along the road, with a good clutch, if you decide to floor it, youre clutch shouldnt slip no matter what oil you are using, fm's or not. if it does then something else is wrong. fm's COUld in theory arrgivate a clutch which is borderline to the point of slipping, but if its at that point then you probably need a new clutch anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back