Redline 5w30 - Turbo diesel usage

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do we think of Redline 5w30 in a Euro passenger turbo diesel application? Germane specs are ACEA B3 and B4, MB 229.5, HTHS of 3.8.

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=2&pcid=21

API Service Class SM/SL/SG/CF
Viscosity Grade SAE 5W30
Vis @ 100°C, cSt 10.6
Vis @ 40°C, cSt 62
Viscosity Index 162
CCS Viscosity, Poise, @*C 60@-30
Pour Point, °C -45
Pour Point, °F -49
Flash Point, °C 252
Flash Point, °F 486
NOACK Evaporation Loss,1hr @ 482°F (250°C) 6%
HTHS Vis, cP @150°C, ASTM D4741 3.8

98668_x800.jpg

It isn't on the Mercedes Benz list that I checked. That would make me think we are dealing with the infamous "meets or exceeds" statement that marketing types love.

"Meets or exceeds" can mean anything from "it's actually a better oil" to "the color and bouquet is much nicer".

If MB doesn't say it's on the list, it ain't on the list....

Originally Posted By: cheetahdriver
It isn't on the Mercedes Benz list that I checked. That would make me think we are dealing with the infamous "meets or exceeds" statement that marketing types love.

"Meets or exceeds" can mean anything from "it's actually a better oil" to "the color and bouquet is much nicer".

If MB doesn't say it's on the list, it ain't on the list....

That's a non-issue. Redine oils (and a few others) are "recommended for" various specs. They are FAR from an untrustworthy company.

My cognations are more about viscosity, HTHS and the ACEA B3/B4/MB 229.5 specs as they apply to a Euro passenger turbo diesel.

To split hairs, MB229.5 is not a spec, it is a certification, like GM4718M. If you want an uncertified oil that is similar to MB229.5, and trust RL, then there you go.

This is why I don't use boutique engine oils, there are way too many requirements for certain cars. If this car is still under warranty, I would NOT give them any reason to void it. If it isn't, then use what you want to....

Originally Posted By: cheetahdriver
To split hairs, MB229.5 is not a spec, it is a certification, like GM4718M. If you want an uncertified oil that is similar to MB229.5, and trust RL, then there you go.

This is why I don't use boutique engine oils, there are way too many requirements for certain cars. If this car is still under warranty, I would NOT give them any reason to void it. If it isn't, then use what you want to....

Lubrizol considers these specifications.
thumbsup2.gif

http://sas-origin.onstreammedia.com/origin/lubrizol/EOACEA2009/RPTOOL2010Dep/rp/pc/index.html

I made this thread not to talk about boutique oils in general, but the specific properties of this oil in a certain application.

Just bought 2 cases of Red Line 5w30 myself. Really an awesome oil. I'd argue it's probably the best bang for your buck of the boutique Group IV/V majority basestock oils as I got mine for about $9 a quart. Tons of moly for moly plating and the added benefit of the properties of a group v oil. No viscosity index improvers used on this 5w30 so no shearing. What was the deal maker for me is the high HTHS of 3.8 with the low kv 40 & 100, which means it will flow early and fast but with tons of protection at the same time.

I wouldn't hesitate to use it if I were you. It even says for diesels.

Originally Posted By: shpankey
Just bought 2 cases of Red Line 5w30 myself. Really an awesome oil. I'd argue it's probably the best bang for your buck of the boutique Group IV/V majority basestock oils as I got mine for about $9 a quart. Tons of moly for moly plating and the added benefit of the properties of a group v oil. No viscosity index improvers used on this 5w30 so no shearing. What was the deal maker for me is the high HTHS of 3.8 with the low kv 40 & 100, which means it will flow early and fast but with tons of protection at the same time.

I wouldn't hesitate to use it if I were you. It even says for diesels.

Hmmm. *ponders* I have 10 quarts of RL 0w40 (4.0 HTHS and 15.1 cSt 100C KV). Which to run...

Do I have to be the one to say it?
The m-word.

Go ahead and mix them.
You know you want to...you're on BITOG.

What turbodiesel??? My 81 and 82 would like a 229.1 or .3 spec oil, but given how it puts soot in the oil, I will only use the latest API specs for a true diesel add pack.

Some of the newest diesel engines I might address differently...

Need to consider the application...

As soon as I am done with my current 40K OCI, I am going to switch to Red Line 5W20 in my VW TDI ALH. I am dropping viscosity to gain fuel mileage if the UOA agrees with me. I would run Red Line 5W30 in practically any car in a heart beat.

Originally Posted By: 62Lincoln
Is this low SAPS? Don't see anything regarding ash content. If you have a DPF, could this be an issue?

It's a mid-SAPS oil. Those with DPFs would probably need an MB 229.51, BMW LL04 or VW 507.00 depending on which engine.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
What turbodiesel??? My 81 and 82 would like a 229.1 or .3 spec oil, but given how it puts soot in the oil, I will only use the latest API specs for a true diesel add pack.

That's true about the soot-monsters. I meant newer ones (20 yeas and less?) that aren't as prone to sooting up the oil.

Do we know what the MB 229.5 spec entails?

Originally Posted By: BobFout

That's true about the soot-monsters. I meant newer ones (20 yeas and less?) that aren't as prone to sooting up the oil.

Do you know what your soot rate is and what the allowed dispersion/dispersancy of the redline is? Id want to know that to figure out an interval.

Originally Posted By: BobFout

Do you know what your soot rate is and what the allowed dispersion/dispersancy of the redline is? Id want to know that to figure out an interval.

My soot after 10K miles is usually low, 0.3 (same as it is at 5K miles). I've stuck with 10K miles even when the oil has been fine for continued use (all previous oils have been).

I'd sample at 5K miles to get a feel for how soot, fuel and TBN are doing.

I just ordered 12 quarts of Redline 5w30 (ACEA B4 and MB 229.5). This should suit my short commute better than Redline 0w40. Being significantly thinner at 100C outta see a bit more MPG and HP, while still being close to the same HTHS.

Bob I hate to tell you this but you can't compare the KV100 spec's of two widely different oil chemistries without making an adjustment.
The two viscosity spec's to consider are HTHS and the VI.
The 0W-40 has a very much higher 197 VI vs only 162 for the 5W-30 and a somewhat higher HTHSV. The net result of his is that
RL 5W-30 will be heavier than RL 0W-40 at all temp's below about 75C. At room temperature it will be about 25% heavier and more than 50% heavier at 0C. That relative difference will increase as the temp's drop below freezing.

If you wanted to improve the starting performance of the RL 0W-40 you would have been better off simply blending in some RL 0W-30 to produce whatever lower HTHSV you want. The blend will reduce the oil's VI but the reduction in the HTHSV more than compensates for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back