New Motul 0w20 double ester

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

We don't list the percentages of components in our products, but our primary bas stock is a polyol ester.

This is a reply I got from Redline, this by itself confirms that Redline is anything BUT 100% polyolester. Don't get me wrong, I have very high regards about their company policy to build oil based on the best available chemistry, but be realistic, it is not 100% ester (base stock). If it is, Dave won't be dancing around with words like 'primary'.

I don't know why Redline is the 'red headed stepchild' on the forum.

Redline is a great company and they make some of the best products I know of.

I also use GC 0W-30, Mobil 1 0W-20, Delo 400, and Delvac 1. But if Redline made a 0W-20,0W-30,0W-40 I'd use it. And I haven't tried Redline's 15W-40 since I've had good luck with Delo 400 and Delvac 1.

Were people trying to convince themselves they didn't need better oil at $7.00 /qt?

Now that Mobil 1 is $5.68 / qt at Wally World... Redline does not seem expensive.

But even when Mobil 1 was less than $4.00 /qt on sale...the Redline products have always been worth the money.

I've used Redline for 10 years, and the engines, gearboxes, differentials, injectors in all are cars that run Redline are in fantastic shape...despite frequently driving the cars as hard as possible, or close to it, for much of their life.

I use Redline 5W-30, 5W-40, 10W-40, MTL, MT-90, 75W-90, 75WS-90NS, SI-1,Diesel Fuel Catalyst, and I used to use Water Wetter.

I plan to use Redline 5W-20 in our Honda VTEC, and I may try the D4 ATF in our BMW automatic.

Plenty of enthusiasts and specialty shops use Redline for modified cars, or cars that see some track use, and I can see why:

No synchro problems, no engine wear, great UOA's at 10K intervals.

Redline is a great product, and Polyol Ester is a great basestock, IMHO.

I have little first hand experience with Motul, other than their high temp brake fluid.

But I would expect great things from Motul oils and premium ester basestocks.

I also expect great results from Specialty Formulations products. I hope to try their gear lubes soon.

I did see the sludge in the reservoir from Water Wetter when mixed with Dex-Cool/ distilled water. I stopped using Dex Cool and switched to G-05/distilled water, and I haven't tried Water Wetter again. If Water Wetter is a surfactant it may be as simple as cleaning junk off the surfaces.

Dex Cool on the other hand is junk, IMHO. I regret using Dex Cool. It is just too sensitive, and appears to react to contact with air.

Now I stick with the factory coolant, or Zerex G-05.

I'd agree with TWBG about the excellence of Redline, particularly for high performance applications. It would be my choice for the turbocharged Audi if I wasn't using Amsoils best offerings. One thing in particular about RL is that is provides extreme engine cleanliness, which doesn't really show up in UOAs. I believe this is more important than small variations in wear rates, in terms of maintaining "like new" engine performance.

As I've mentioned before, folks want to use the best products on the market, as long as they don't cost more than $5.00/qt @ Walmart.
smile.gif
That's simply not realistic, given the current cost of basestock and additive chemistries.

TS

Thanks TS! As always, you stand out as one of the highest integrity and most knowledgeable forum members.

I should mention that my partner runs Amsoil European Formula 5W-40 in our highly modified 200 hp VW TDI. [We make the high output nozzles for the diesel injectors, and sell the upgraded turbos and intercoolers.]

When you bump the engine from 90hp to over 200hp oil gets a real workout, and the 5W-40 European hasn't let us down. [ Although I might have looked at Delvac 1 5W-40, Amsoil Series 3000 5W-30, or Castrol European Formula 5W-40 ]

I also have Amsoil gearlube in one of our 2005 Outbacks and it shifts great. I would have normally chosen Redline 75W-90NS but my daughter's car is in Jackson Hole, WY and I wanted to put synthetic in it while I was visiting.

tell me if iam wrong..dave said it was a pure group 5 oil ,if there was pao in it which he said had a tad,wouldn't it be a group4/5?....we have a place here in denver that races in the scca circuit and this company uses only redline oils they don't break down..was told to them that it is a pure ester base but redline's formulations propritary additive to counteract the ester...anyways i love all the redline stuff along with motul chrono 300v double esters and that company says it is a 100% ester no pao in it at all!!i take them for their word. i let them vol. the info.

quote:

Originally posted by Thatwouldbegreat:
Just spoke to Redline ....100% Polyol Ester!

I reproduced what Dave typed to me in his reply word for word including typo. Now either you heard wrong or he typed wrong.

i to have spoke to dave many many times and couple times to a blender engineer....100% poe base...i think we should drop all this and just realize this oil and their other product are 100% base esters...

quote:

Originally posted by boxcartommie22:
i to have spoke to dave many many times and couple times to a blender engineer....100% poe base...i think we should drop all this and just realize this oil and their other product are 100% base esters...

lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

I spoke with Dave and he did say it contained some PAO but the POE was the primary basestock. Harrydog was told the same thing. It does contain some PAO, get over it.

quote:

blender engineer

lol.gif

Redline's distinction is that it contains majority POE basestocks vs majority PAO like the others. Therefore they claim it is an ester based oil bc on a % basis, it is. However, this doesn't mean that it doesn't contain any PAO.

The fact that Red Line contains some PAO does not address the question of base stock make-up. PAO can be there for a variety of reasons and not necessarily as a base stock. Also, all polyol esters are esters, but not all esters are polyol esters. It's quite simple to realize how Red Line at once is a pure Grp V base fluid, vast-majority polyol ester base fluid, and contains some quantity of PAO. Why in the world do so many people confuse themselves in the semantics they don't seem to quite comprehend?

quote:

Originally posted by Thatwouldbegreat:
Just spoke to Redline ....100% Polyol Ester!

Spoke to Redline again, this time to Dave. I stand corrected.... not 100% POE but POE and PAO.

No percentages but the majority of the basestock is POE. Thats is all I could get from them.

you know this is getting strange dave is seeming to go from one to another comments!!! i bet he is doing this to protect their formulations....first he says for years its 100% poe then says has some pao then a tad then no pao...oh well

I hate putting Redline on the spot.

They do seem uncomfortable when I ask about the formulation, like they want to tell me but don't really know what they can and cannot say, and also a bit like the formulation is not disclosed to them so they really don't know either.

Mobil 1 / Castrol techs seem to have more of a script to read from.

yes, i remember awhile back the scca automotive company that makes race cars for all circuits were told that redline was 100% poe and it was a secret to how redline counteracts the neg. of esters.....this company uses only redline oils for all their races...their teams have won back to back national championships....

quote:

Spoke to Redline again, this time to Dave. I stand corrected.... not 100% POE but POE and PAO

Dave has told me this all along. He has always said it does contain some PAO. harrydog spoke with Roy Howell and he told him the same thing. boxcart, it might be that the racing oils contain no PAO but I bet they do too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back