RedLine 5W-40?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's out already but it's not a fleet oil like Delvac 1, it's more formulated for gas engines, so it's not really a Delvac 1 competitor.

But just like their 5w30, 10w30, 10w40 it's listed as gas/diesel so theoretically you could use it in a diesel. Their 15w40 oil is their only oil listed as diesel only.

There's an excellent analysis on RL 5W40 oil used in a turbo engine somewhere in the analysis section of the forum. About as good as anything I've seen. Personally I think 5W40 is the best compromise viscosity 'spread' available that covers nearly any engine/temp/driving type. I don't think D1 ended up at 5W40 by accident. Also all the top of the range syns available here are 5W40 including Motul, Shell, BP, Caltex (Havoline) etc. Better get my protective armour on as I think I'm gonna need it??

Sprintman,
No argument from me on the 5W40 DelvacI. Good all around oil. However in my gas vehicle I prefer 10W30 and in a diesel I still like the 15W40. At $25 a gallon, I can't justify this type oil, and I do analysis on my diesels, not on my gas engines. I just change the oil and filter once a year using 10W30 Schaeffer's Series 7000. On my diesel's I use 15W40 Schaeffer's Series 7000 also. Both semi-syn.

Also, I wouldn't use any 5W40 that isn't dual rated at least CH/SJ, prefer CI/SL. So if Redline isn't dual rated for both I wouldn't put it in any diesel. JMO

The Redline looks to be more of an ACEA "A3/B4" type oil for high performance gas/diesel passenger car engines. I don't believe it's considered a heavy duty diesel oil ...

Should be fine for year round use in the Chevy V-6, particularly for a mild climate.

TS

I'd say an ACEA B4 or VW 505 rated oil is marginal for the TDI. I have seen consistently excellent results with the CH-4 or CI-4 rated synthetics. If you live in a warm climate, I'd use the Redline 15w-40 instead of this light duty diesel oil. Other excellent choices would be Mobil Delvac 1, 5w-40 and the Amsoil 10w-40. Those are both 12 TBN, CI-4 rated formulations that have proven to work extremely well in the TDI.

The VW recommendation to run 5w-30/5w-40 is as much about fuel efficiency as anything else. Anything from a 0w-30 to a 15w-40 will work fine in the TDI, provided it's rated for turbocharged diesel use.

TS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back