Ford 3.0L diesel; Oil

first of all, been a fan of this forum for many years and have learned tons so thank you all for that. I have a 2020 f150 with the 3.0l diesel, on the Facebook pages people commonly run 5w-40 t6, however I found on here people seem to report the Mobil 1 turbo diesel truck is a better shelf oil. I will continue to run a 5w-40 oil, I live in central Texas, motorcraft filter and 5k interval. Thoughts on mobile 1 TBT oil? Oil price, to me, is irrelevant as I’d rather waste a couple bucks on better oil and short intervals than have engine issues in the future so any recommendations on oils is greatly appreciated.

The old Mobil 1 5W-40 Turbo Diesel Truck was among the best oils mankind has ever produced. It would properly protect engines that had known issues, such as VW PD diesels with improperly hardened camshafts. VW diesel users noted the best UOA results with the M1, when compared to other oils, and produced a chart showing "wear metals" lowest on TDT. NOTE: UOA results really don't show engine wear rates, but the VW TDT forum folks did try to show wear metals in a PPM per mile format, based on oil choice, and I did find it fascinating.

Over the years, the oil has changed slightly. With lower calcium and the resulting slightly lower, but still superb TBN (down from 12ish to 10ish) the same excellent HTHS at 3.8 and ZDDP of about 1100-1200. M1's excellent competition, Rotella T6 has an HTHS of 3.5 (if I remember correctly). So the edge in high temperature performance goes to M1.

In any case, TDT is a well proven oil and a superb product.

Last edited:
The old Mobil 1 5W-40 Turbo Diesel Truck was among the best oils mankind has ever produced. It would properly protect engines that had known issues, such as VW PD diesels with improperly hardened camshafts. VW diesel users noted the best UOA results with the M1, when compared to other oils, and produced a chart showing "wear metals" lowest on TDT. NOTE: UOA results really don't show engine wear rates, but the VW TDT forum folks did try to show wear metals in a PPM per mile format, based on oil choice, and I did find it fascinating.

Over the years, the oil has changed slightly. With lower calcium and the resulting slightly lower, but still superb TBN (down from 12ish to 10ish) the same excellent HTHS at 3.8 and ZDDP of about 1100-1200. M1's excellent competition, Rotella T6 has an HTHS of 3.5 (if I remember correctly). So the edge in high temperature performance goes to M1.

The original TDT was supposedly relabeled Delvac 1, which was considered back when to be the best oil out there. No idea if/how the formulations have changed since.

Thank you for your response. Definitely looks like I’ll be running this oil. Sounds like cheap insurance to me!

first of all, been a fan of this forum for many years and have learned tons so thank you all for that. I have a 2020 f150 with the 3.0l diesel, on the Facebook pages people commonly run 5w-40 t6, however I found on here people seem to report the Mobil 1 turbo diesel truck is a better shelf oil. I will continue to run a 5w-40 oil, I live in central Texas, motorcraft filter and 5k interval. Thoughts on mobile 1 TBT oil? Oil price, to me, is irrelevant as I’d rather waste a couple bucks on better oil and short intervals than have engine issues in the future so any recommendations on oils is greatly appreciated.
I suspect that is the same 3.0 V6 diesel Lion engine as fitted to Jags, Land Rovers and Range Rovers.

5w40 is what I ran my Jaguar XJL on with that engine, can’t remember the exact oil, I think it was a C5 oil

5w30 is too thin IMHO.

Change it at 6/7 k miles maximum and the engine will last

Mine car is still going strong, checked the MOT history last year and it was well on its way to 250k miles

I suspect that is the same 3.0 V6 diesel Lion engine as fitted to Jags, Land Rovers and Range Rovers.

5w40 is what I ran my Jaguar XJL on with that engine, can’t remember the exact oil, I think it was a C5 oil

5w30 is too thin IMHO.

Mine car is still going strong, checked the MOT history last year and it was well on its way to 250k miles
Would have been a C3. C5 is xW-20 only.

The 3.0L loves 5W-40, ideally a CK-4 as recommended in the F-150 manual. 5W-30 is half the reason they spin bearings.

5w30 is too thin IMHO.

Jag and Range Rover were specifying 5w30's meeting ACEA C1. So thin 'economy' 30 weights with mid SAPS.

But I generally agree and would run a quality C3 oil in *w30 or *w40 flavour.

Jag and Range Rover were specifying 5w30's meeting ACEA C1. So thin 'economy' 30 weights with mid SAPS.

But I generally agree and would run a quality C3 oil in *w30 or *w40 flavour.
Citroen specced 5w40 for the engine which is why I made the decision to use 5w40

There is a YT channel called LR Time, and and he now uses 5w40

He calls 5w30, “5w dumbass”
😂😂

Would have been a C3. C5 is xW-20 only.

The 3.0L loves 5W-40, ideally a CK-4 as recommended in the F-150 manual. 5W-30 is half the reason they spin bearings.
You are almost certainly correct, at the time I chose the oil which closely matched C1 for SAPS if I remember correctly.

I documented my oil choice on here at the time.

Citroen specced 5w40 for the engine which is why I made the decision to use 5w40

There is a YT channel called LR Time, and and he now uses 5w40

He calls 5w30, “5w dumbass”
😂😂

Sounds like he doesn't really know what he's talking about considering a 5w30 and 5w40 C3 oil would be almost indistinguishable in the real world if you were to exclude the viscosity @ 100°c figure. HTHS is king after all.

Sounds like he doesn't really know what he's talking about considering a 5w30 and 5w40 C3 oil would be almost indistinguishable in the real world if you were to exclude the viscosity @ 100°c figure. HTHS is king after all.
Did I say he was using C3?

Are you saying 5w30 C1 is identical to 5w40 C3?

Why don't they just sell both oils in the same container?

Or swap them round.

If as you say, they are "almost indistinguishable"

The LR Time guy is talking 5W-30 A5/B5 vs. 5W-40 C3. So yes there is a big difference actually

Can’t go wrong with D1 5W-40; very stout oil.
A member from years ago (GA) used to refer to it as ‘the 800lb gorilla of oils’…lol.

Back