Redline 20w50 MC oil UOA 2009 Harley 96 cu.in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The OP said "oil cooler and bigger cam". Are these aftermarket parts? If so they might of used Chinese steel in the cam which wears more. Got to keep those prices down.

What do you get with a factory cam for wear numbers?

slomo

Originally Posted By: rossn2
Quote:
Samples taken from an external oil tank like your motorcycle can usually read higher in wear particles and very carefully controlled, repeatable sampling methods must be used

Since when does a Road King have an External oil tank???????

Big twins had a separate oil tank located and mounted away from the motor until they introduced the Twin Cam. At that point the "oil tank" was moved to an oil pan under the motor but bolted to it. Similar to an automotive oil pan. IMHO a big mistake because it doe not get a chance to cool off. My 2011 twin Cam is set up like this. My 1988 FLHS has a separate oil tank with hoses that connect to the motor.

Softails still have a separate oil tank. All other Twin Cams have a pan style tank under the motor. However if you remove the pan you do not look into the motor. It's a separate unit bolted to the motor.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
Where is the transmission fluid in these pictures?

Fluid-Flow-BAKER-1.5-4.jpg

Internals-1.5-Pan.jpg

Hint: I think the transmission drains THROUGH the pan, not from it. I could easily be wrong though, I'm just trying to understand.

Exactly. Although the trans drain plug is in the oil pan, it's only passing thru a single hole to get there. The trans oil is in the trans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back