Redline 20w50 MC oil UOA 2009 Harley 96 cu.in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is external from the crankcase which is what I think the poster means?

So it is different that grabbing a sample from the drain stream is, I believe, the point. I appreciate this point being brought up as it is something I hadn't considered.

The Road King has an Oil Pan under the engine, the crankcase. Within the oil pan is a separator so engine oil is on one side and transmission oil on the other side. Of course the separation makes no sense because Harley says to run SYN 3 engine oil in both.

It does not have an External Oil Tank like a Softail or older Harley's where the tank is mounted to the frame under the seat/right leg area of rider.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rossn2
The Road King has an Oil Pan under the engine, the crankcase. Within the oil pan is a separator so engine oil is on one side and transmission oil on the other side. Of course the separation makes no sense because Harley says to run SYN 3 engine oil in both.

It does not have an External Oil Tank like a Softail or older Harley's where the tank is mounted to the frame under the seat/right leg area of rider.

Well I will be darned - I stand corrected.

This appears to be the relevant parts fiche.

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com/...-HOUSING-W/-PAN

Not on the 96 cu. in. it's a pressurized dry sump system, no oil plan under the motor. The engine oil container and transmission fluid is totality separate.

I apologize for taking this OT.

So there are separate drain plugs for transmission and engine (and primary) so how does the plastic separator keep the engine and tranny from mixing?

Some of the pictures on the web look like it is just a windage tray sort of deal and some look like a tank within the pan. Also looking at the gasket on: Baker +1.5 pan for touring it appears that the transmission drain plug gallery may simply pass through the pan and be sealed by the gasket?

See: Drain Plugs in Attachment at HDForums

I'm sort of confused now about this setup works now, but to the original point of sampling the oil, how might this have an impact on sampling and UOA readings?

There is no plastic separator in the pan. The trans, engine oil, primary are all totaly separate. In three distict separate containers with three separate drain plugs.

Last edited:
Then what is part number 62489-99 in the microfiche link? It's an oil pan!

Here's a link to a 2008 Road Glide which is same engine setup as Road King..and a 2009 is same way...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTSiFH9eGYA

I owned a 2008 Road King Classic and there is NO external oil tank like on a Softail...

I dont know about the Softail I owned one awhile ago and cant remember how the oil system however the design characteristic on the Road King is just like an external oil tank. The pan just seperates from the housing if you take the pan off and look up you will not see a crank. The oil tank/pan is behind the transmission. And the path way for the oil runs back to the motor through the trans and engine case. This pan is designed this way because it cools better than the standard oil tank. The only difference is the design is composit to where the oil tank/pan is part of the engine/transmission assembly. So to clarify the 96 cu in does not have a oil pan under the motor.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder

Well I will be darned - I stand corrected.

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com/...-HOUSING-W/-PAN

Rossn2 is wrong you are correct.

Last edited:
UGH, Apparently, we have people on this forum who don't wrench on their own bikes..

The part 62489-99AA is an Oil Pan Assenbly that holds the oil for the transmission and the engine and has a built in separator. That's why you see two bolts (6 & 17) with black rubber seals on them. One drains engine oil and the other the transmission fluid.

The primary has it's own oil drain plug and the oil is held within the primary case.

Last edited:
UGH, Apparently, we have people on this forum who don't wrench on their own bikes..

The part 62489-99AA is an Oil Pan Assenbly that holds the oil for the transmission and the engine and has a built in separator. That's why you see two bolts (6 & 17) with black rubber seals on them. One drains engine oil and the other the transmission fluid.

The primary has it's own oil drain plug and the oil is held within the primary case.

You are correct.

I do all my own work. You have never taken this particular engine apart to see for yourself. I have not only my own but also friends of mine. That is not the way this unit works. You are looking at pictures and dont know what your looking at go get the service manual and read it.

I own a 2008 Road King Classic with 96 engine, look at my sig..and have a Service/repair manual, and do my own work. One bolt drains engine oil and the other drains transmission oil, from the same oil pan assembly.

Matter of fact the 11 Limited, 13 CVO Ultra, and 13 Triglide with 103 and 110 engines all use the same type pan setup...

Enough said...

Where is the transmission fluid in these pictures?

Fluid-Flow-BAKER-1.5-4.jpg

Internals-1.5-Pan.jpg

Hint: I think the transmission drains THROUGH the pan, not from it. I could easily be wrong though, I'm just trying to understand.

Last edited:
The trans and oil pans are not shared your misinformed the transmission drain port goes through the oil pan case the two never meet, these two are not shared. Just because you've changed the oils dont mean you know how this system is designed, take this apart and you'll see I promise you, as I have done this. The transmission oil is held inside the the transmission itself. The case is a composite on peice style. There is no crankcase oil pan style like you find in a chevy v8 this system is a separate wet sump system.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
Where is the transmission fluid in these pictures?

Fluid-Flow-BAKER-1.5-4.jpg

Internals-1.5-Pan.jpg

Hint: I think the transmission drains THROUGH the pan, not from it. I could easily be wrong though, I'm just trying to understand.

Your absolutely right it drains trought the outter edge of the case. I was surprised to see this when I had it apart.

The engine oil pan has a passage from the transmission that allows for draining the transmission. The transmission holds it's own oil. I never looked when I had them apart on my 04 Ultra. I thought one pan held both.

Well, It's obvious that nobody takes their Harleys apart.

Back to the original post.

If you're changing your oil every 4,000 miles then there is a large selection of oils that will give satisfactory service.

Personally, I like the Valvoline VR-1, which actually has a higher flash point than their "synthetic" VR-1.

The Genuine Harley Davidson HD360 is also decent oil, but it's $9/quart. Our local dealer had a large display of the nostalgic oil containers at $11.95 - but they weren't selling. I scored a case of those at BOGO - which turns out to be $6/quart.

If you like "synthetic" then my preference is the Mobil 1 V-Twin 20W-50 or Amsoil MCV 20W-50.

Next opinion, please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back