Black Stone Lab results on 2009 Sonata with 98,712 miles.

Typical blackstone reporting low. The phosphorus isn't even within the API requirements. I'd add 20% to those numbers for a more realistic result.

Even at that though, it's not a bad report except for the KV100. As mentioned earlier, I'd limit it to 6.5-7k miles based on the TBN. Blackstone's comments are laughable.

Guess the OP engine was the pre GDI world engine right? That would be much easier on the oil. Had one in an 07 Optima. Seemed much easier on oil than later engines. Oh for the good old days when they talked about the engine outlasting the car.

Good to know cause oil filter and rotate for ten bucks is tough to pass on when you live in a condo and can't change your own. BTW Valvoline split from Ashland kind of like Phillips 66 split from Conoco Phillips.

Yeah exactly, I would never buy them at full price (because it just makes no sense to pay such a premium for a house brand or any oil really) but when they go on sale I tend to stock up on both. I have a UOA for a Forester XT posted up from a while back that was Napa Syn for 6k miles of severe duty and it did great!
I don't need oil right now but NAPA does have a sale going on right now where a 5qt jug of Napa syn oil is $15.49. Hard to beat that since it is only about $2 more than napa dino. Nice to be retired and since we are no longer in the rat race I don't put on more than maybe 2-3K miles a year so have to change oil but maybe every 2 years now and tires age out long before they wear out. Retired lets one save on tires oil and fuel and insurance for that matter.

Typical blackstone reporting low. The phosphorus isn't even within the API requirements. I'd add 20% to those numbers for a more realistic result.

Even at that though, it's not a bad report except for the KV100. As mentioned earlier, I'd limit it to 6.5-7k miles based on the TBN. Blackstone's comments are laughable

Guess the OP engine was the pre GDI world engine right? That would be much easier on the oil. Had one in an 07 Optima. Seemed much easier on oil than later engines. Oh for the good old days when they talked about the engine outlasting the car.

Back