RedLine 10W30, 4,100 Miles (6 months), Jeep 4.0 (I-6)

Status
Not open for further replies.
FP & LC were used.
Amsoil bypass filter was used.
Total sump: 7.25 quarts
0 quarts make-up oil

TBN 2.5
SUS 63.7
Flash 405 F
Fuel < .5
coolant & water 0%
Insolubles 0.3

ALUMINUM 6
CHROMIUM 1
IRON 11
COPPER 4
LEAD 0
TIN 0
MOLYBDENUM 440
NICKEL 0
MANGANESE 0
SILVER 0
TITANIUM 0
POTASSIUM 0
BORON 6
SILICON 10
SODIUM 6
CALCIUM 2363
MAGNESIUM 65
PHOSPHORUS 1051
ZINC 1161
BARIUM 1

Aluminum was 3 to 4 times higher than it was when I used Amsoil 0W30-S2K.

The TBN is pretty bad when compared to Amsoil's TBN retention. I used Amsoil S2K and the TBN was 2.8 after 1 year of service and 6.5K miles. This is lower in 4.2K miles and 6 months...

I'm also starting to question if LubeControl has any effect on the TBN and insolubles. Looking back at previous UAOs that did not inlcude LC, I don't see any diff between with and without LC...

wrangler. I ran a few 7-10K OCI's of redline in my echo, Some with 1oz/1K miles others with 3oz/1K miles. TBN was still about 1 at the end of the run, insolubles the same
frown.gif

I agree with Steve. Run it again but don't use any additives. Let the oil run by itself. Let the chemists who design and spend hours developing it change the formula.

With this amount of oil in the sump and the price of RedLine it almost makes no sense. Although, considering the price of fuel maybe its not so bad. I continue to say that best use of RedLine is as a quart to be added to your normal oil instead of other additives.

Redline is excellent for Hi Po applications, but the Series 2000 is going to hold up better for extended drain, passenger car applications. Cold weather performance with the 0w-30 is also going to be significantly better than with an SAE 10w-30 in temps >> freezing.

I like the FP60 and have tested it, but I wouldn't use LC with either of these lubes.

TS

Run Redline once more with nothing added and see what you see. Redline can safely be run down to a TBN of 1 useing BlackStones TBN method. This is according to Terry Dyson not me! I trust Terry's judgement when matters of oil are concerned. Redline will typicaly drop to a TBN of 2-3 and then it tends to stabilize for a long time at those levels.

The TBN is probably more like 4.5 using other labs. ** labs shows lower result.

Originally posted by JohnBrowning:

Redline can safely be run down to a TBN of 1 useing BlackStones TBN method. This is according to Terry Dyson not me! I trust Terry's judgement when matters of oil are concerned.

Actually, he sez that you can run it down to 0. I would guess that this is because his database shows no problems doing so. The indicator would then be the TAN.

Redline will typicaly drop to a TBN of 2-3 and then it tends to stabilize for a long time at those levels.

That has been my experience as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back