Red shop rags

Status
Not open for further replies.
We used to have them around the shop and a company would restock clean ones... sometimes you'd get
"virgin" ones and other times "cleaned" ones. Either way, they got expensive and never really soaked up oil. Switched to paper shop towels and haven't looked back.

I blame the issue on mothers and wanting the easy life. When my daughters were born in 1981 and 1982 they wore cloth diapers unless we brought them out somewhere then a Pampers. When they graduated beyond diapers I had a whole pile of nice cloth diapers.

Now its Pampers every day, all day.

BTW - I did my share of changing diapers and washing them. Probably not as much as my wife, but I did help out.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I bought a set of THESE

No red dye to bleed out and Made in USA.

I bought the same ones! Decent quality, especially for the money. I also got 12 microfiber cleaning towels for $10.89.

I use microfiber rags from sam's club

they cost about 45cents each.. and are generally reusable at least a few times.

I usually have a few dedicated ones I will use for tough jobs then toss
(the ones I washed 2-3x already)

I also have some shop towels in a box for some things.

I also have a "virgin rags" pile that I use where you want clean rags.. such as
wiping off the haze after applying aquapel, or dusting/cleaning interior.

I shred old clothes to make large rags and small.

As posted, I wash any grungy rags in a bucket...line dry.

NO WAY does automotive oil and grease go into my machine PERIOD.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Here's the deal we use twice a year or so...

http://www.homedepot.com/p/14-in-x-17-in-Cotton-Terry-Towels-Case-of-288-T-99592/202967719

They are soft and absorbent, and if you launder them properly they can last quite a while...

I did something similar with a big pack (50 pc) of white 100% cotton towels for like $20. So far so good.
I normally just use paper towels (the good kind, not the cheap junk) around the shop.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I bought a set of THESE

No red dye to bleed out and Made in USA.

Why am I not seeing where it specifically says made in USA?

I see that the seller is American owned and operated...

Originally Posted By: Donald
I blame the issue on mothers and wanting the easy life. When my daughters were born in 1981 and 1982 they wore cloth diapers unless we brought them out somewhere then a Pampers. When they graduated beyond diapers I had a whole pile of nice cloth diapers.

Now its Pampers every day, all day.

BTW - I did my share of changing diapers and washing them. Probably not as much as my wife, but I did help out.

Our two children have used cloth diapers almost exclusively...

There's lots of stuff available these days.

Originally Posted By: WhizkidTN
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Here's the deal we use twice a year or so...

http://www.homedepot.com/p/14-in-x-17-in-Cotton-Terry-Towels-Case-of-288-T-99592/202967719

They are soft and absorbent, and if you launder them properly they can last quite a while...

I did something similar with a big pack (50 pc) of white 100% cotton towels for like $20. So far so good.
I normally just use paper towels (the good kind, not the cheap junk) around the shop.

Yep, sounds good to me. We run a cleaning biz so we use 25-50 a day, just bought the biggest washer we could afford and launder them weekly. You lose a few to staining and wear, but they can last a long time. Very cost effective and nice for your face, too, when you're working in the FL heat...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back