Red shop rags

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wash mine but I'm a cheap [censored]. I have some microfiber detergent I use. Some enzyme based thing. Not sure how it works, but it does work. Wash 'em once with normal detergent, once with the microfiber detergent. Then I run the washer empty with the microfiber detergent to get the oil scum off

I personally do not like the idea of putting greasy rags in my washing machine.

Those HF red rags bleed color so if you do wash 'em make it a dedicated rag wash load.

I respectfully suggest washing shop rags in a bucket by hand (use a stick) with any strong houshold cleaner and regular soap and hot water.

Do it on a dry day so you can hang 'em up...same thing....nothing that vile in my dryer, thank you.

When I worked at a tire shop we did in fact have the rags laundered by the same guys who did uniforms. They went in a metal bin b/c of the risk of spontaneous combustion.

Now I work for the government and we get rags from Goodwill that are just old ugly clothes shredded by hand. We throw those out.

Originally Posted By: Kira
I personally do not like the idea of putting greasy rags in my washing machine.

Those HF red rags bleed color so if you do wash 'em make it a dedicated rag wash load.

I respectfully suggest washing shop rags in a bucket by hand (use a stick) with any strong houshold cleaner and regular soap and hot water.

Do it on a dry day so you can hang 'em up...same thing....nothing that vile in my dryer, thank you.

I do both
laugh.gif

Super sludge rags get thrown out though.
Moderately dirty rags get hand washed with PineSol and dish detergent, wrung out, then tossed in a dedicated rag wash in the machine.

I remember something in auto school about the red rags they used would turn blue when in contact with battery acid. I tend to use paper towels when cleaning batteries off so I can just toss them when I am done.

I tried H.F. 'red' Shop Rags - Didn't like them and gave them away.

I started buying Wash-Cloths at Walmart / 18 for 3.92
There terry-cloth and do a great job of holding grease & dirt.
I just make sure there completely filthy before throwing out.
https://www.walmart.com/search/?query=wash cloths 18 pack&typeahead=wash cloths

I also use paper towels (1/2 sheets), I use them a lot so as to save the wash-cloths.

Last edited:
We used to have these at work by the bag. They had a big red can you had to throw them in when you were done. If they were beyond disgusting I would just throw them out.

I tend to wash the ones that are just dirt/little bit of oil (dedicated rag load). If they are really greasy or soaked with oil, they go in the trash. I got a bag of 100 red ones from my father in law a few years ago and am down to about 10 or so. I have used heavy duty paper shop towels, but the cost adds up over time.
I now use blue surgical towels.
They come in some of the pre-made procedure kits at work. If they don't get used during the procedure, they would just get tossed out.
I take them instead of tossing them (and have to fight 2 other guys at work for them).

I use worn out clothes shirts and tee shirts cotton mostly. I trash when grotty. When I had really dirty work clothes they would get pre-washed in a bucket. "specially when I had been stripping the staging out of sandblasted tanks in ships. I still have dreams about the shipyard.
grin2.gif

The last time I bought the red rags from HF they stank to high [censored]. I guess they were wet before being packed and had mildewed while on the shelf.

Anyway I try to use the [censored] out of rags before I toss them. You can delegate them to grease gun duty as a final breath before you toss them.

Lately I have been using the blue Scott shop towels which work just as well.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
I'd clean them in a bucket, not my washer.

+1 If they're real bad I toss them.

I bought some a year or so ago and ended up throwing them out. They bled like crazy when washed, and the amount of lint they left over everything made them worthless for anything much more than cleaning up oil or antifreeze spills off the floor. I used one to wipe a dipstick and after I held it up to the light you could see red lint all over it.

I keep a few rolls of paper towels on the workbench and occasionally an old worn out t-shirt. I'm done with red rags.

I did get a bunch of clean old ones from my Dad's shop that were 30-40 yrs old.
They are a lot better quality than the thin ones you get today.
Isn't everything?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back