Red Line Euro 5w30

Here is a UOA for Red Line Euro 5W-30. Poor results compared to M1 0W-40.
2005 Lotus Elise M1 0w-40 ~3k | Bob Is The Oil Guy

API SN/SP 5W-30 synthetics are all pretty similar. Additives amounts are dictated by API, there's little the blenders can do differently. OK for normal driving but inadequate for performance or heavy duty use. I switched to 5W-40/0W-40 oils with robust anti-wear packs. I'd rather avoid having to replace another wiped camshaft due to poor 5W-30 lubrication.
What is poor about it?

Here is a UOA for Red Line Euro 5W-30. Poor results compared to M1 0W-40.
2005 Lotus Elise M1 0w-40 ~3k | Bob Is The Oil Guy

API SN/SP 5W-30 synthetics are all pretty similar. Additives amounts are dictated by API, there's little the blenders can do differently. OK for normal driving but inadequate for performance or heavy duty use. I switched to 5W-40/0W-40 oils with robust anti-wear packs. I'd rather avoid having to replace another wiped camshaft due to poor 5W-30 lubrication.
Except Redline's High Performance line of oils, redline doesn't even bother to attempt to be API licensed, so they can do whatever they want when it comes to their additive package.

High iron and lead.

The PDS states "recommended for API SN" so I assumed (perhaps incorrectly) that it meets API SN req's.
Recommended does not mean it has the API license for SN, SNplus, etc, or Manufacturer certifications.

Compare to the Professional 5w30 TD oil, the wording is different. It says "Approved for...:"

1680332051626.png

And here's the API License search for Red Line.

1680332170044.jpg

As I said, Redline doesn't have the API license for their High Performance oil line, so API specs don't need to be met.

Recommended does not mean it has the API license for SN, SNplus, etc, or Manufacturer certifications.
Well, they fooled me! I just glanced over the description, saw all the API standards and manufacturer certifications and assumed it meets all of them. I'm surprised they get away with this labeling.

Still, the UOA indicates low levels of AW additives similar to most other 5W30 oils and elevated wear metals compared to M1 0W40 UOA in the same engine

Think of all the money blenders and formulators could save if instead of the Sequence tests and approvals all they had to do was send a sample out for a $30 spectrographic analysis.
Which boutique blenders run engine sequence tests?

I'm not even going to ask about transmission fluids or gear oils.

I doubt the recommendations are based on a simple spectrographic analysis.
Per my discussions with Red Line Oil, their recomendations are based on the additive package they are using for a specific lubricant.

Red Line said that their oils don't carry approvals, but the additive packages they use do, so they base their recomendations on these approvals.

That's not factually accurate, as additive packages do not have approvals. The additive supplier will sell a blender a package with certain chatacteristics to blend a motor oil that can be a candidate for approval(s).

When I asked them about apecific testing, they said that they do plenty of in-house testing and also use 3rd party labs, without providing any specific information about any of those test.

Last edited by a moderator:
Per my discussions with Red Line Oil, their recomendations are based on the additive package they are using for a specific lubricant.

Red Line said that their oils don't carry approvals, but the additive packages they use do, so they base their recomendations on these approvals.

That's not factually accurate, as additive packages do not have approvals. The additive supplier will sell a blender a package with certain chatacteristics to blend a motor oil that can be a candidate for approval(s).

When I asked them about apecific testing, they said that they do plenty of in-house testing and also use 3rd party labs, without providing any specific information about any of those test.

Redline certainly utilizes P66 Bartlesville R&D.

Also some additive packages will be licensed based on additive supplier formula. So if you use X additives and Y base oils, it will have a default license. But, it’s sorta all over the board depending on the certification, who the license holder is, what tests, etc.

Redline certainly utilizes P66 Bartlesville R&D.

Also some additive packages will be licensed based on additive supplier formula. So if you use X additives and Y base oils, it will have a default license. But, it’s sorta all over the board depending on the certification, who the license holder is, what tests, etc.
My comments were not a knock on Red Line. I used their products on and off and my only negative experience was with their 5W-30 burning nearly a quart of oil out of six in my 2017 Hyundai 3.3L GDI engine at 6800 miles. I don't know why that happened, and I haven't tried to reproduce that since then. Currently running Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 in it without issues.

Red Line D6 ATF provided firmer shifts for my vehicles than I liked, same as AMSOIL ATL (most likely they both use the same DI package). Other than that, I never had any issues with Red Line Oil. It's good oil, and the fact that Red Line uses POE in just about everything they blend is a plus. I also like that they publish (or provide via email) details such as flash point, pour point, MRV, and NOACK. And by God, the new formulations have brought down NOACK to some unbelievable levels. I am actually considering using them again.

My comments were not a knock on Red Line. I used their products on and off and my only negative experience was with their 5W-30 burning nearly a quart of oil out of six in my 2017 Hyundai 3.3L GDI engine at 6800 miles. I don't know why that happened, and I haven't tried to reproduce that since then. Currently running Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 in it without issues.

Red Line D6 ATF provided firmer shifts for my vehicles than I liked, same as AMSOIL ATL (most likely they both use the same DI package). Other than that, I never had any issues with Red Line Oil. It's good oil, and the fact that Red Line uses POE in just about everything they blend is a plus. I also like that they publish (or provide via email) details such as flash point, pour point, MRV, and NOACK. And by God, the new formulations have brought down NOACK to some unbelievable levels. I am actually considering using them again.
Knowing RL's chemistry a bit more I now understand why we see the results we do, which are often mixed. Red Line is formulated more towards the racing side of things then extended drains due to the inherent acidity of base oil blend. The higher ester content comes with some negatives as well as positives. All oils have to be well balanced, and I'm not saying RL isn't, but they put a heavier emphasis on certain properties that don't always lend itself to longer drain intervals.

Their Euro 5w30 I think is an outstanding oil for modern GDI engines within a reasonable drain interval (not too long).

Knowing RL's chemistry a bit more I now understand why we see the results we do, which are often mixed. Red Line is formulated more towards the racing side of things then extended drains due to the inherent acidity of base oil blend. The higher ester content comes with some negatives as well as positives. All oils have to be well balanced, and I'm not saying RL isn't, but they put a heavier emphasis on certain properties that don't always lend itself to longer drain intervals.

Their Euro 5w30 I think is an outstanding oil for modern GDI engines within a reasonable drain interval (not too long).

1680703502100.jpg

View attachment 148739
Thanks. I've seen that before and there are some instances where Red Line does well in longer drains, and in some engines not so much. The Russian's have seen similar mixed results as we have, and also suggest that RL is inherently acidic and is good for shorter intervals.

However, some could say that about many engines as we've seen some top tier oils get beat-up pretty quickly regardless of brand.

I have a UoA coming of redline euro 5w30 from my Cobb tuned Raptor. It will be mixed with whatever it had from the factory. (I assume motorcraft 5w30) So it will be a bad data point.

I did change it at 6,000 miles ish. So I’ll have another data point in a few months. I’m driving it about ~22000-24000 miles a year at current rate. Will go down when I pick up my new mustang. (It will also run redline Euro 5w30.)

I’m semi skeptical of that UoA. So I’ll dig mine up out of our mass of reports here one of these days. I have a marketer round table next week with one of the majors. So it won’t be next week.

We run a few hundred samples a week. So it takes some digging.
@Foxtrot08 have you been using the Redline Euro 5w30? Any UOA’s you can share?

Back