Red Line Euro 5w30

I don't see many UOA's of the RL Euro 5w30. Anyone have experience with it? I'm curious if it shows similar results as their regular high performance line. It appears to be an excellent oil for GDI engines. Of course M1 ESP is readily available and top notch as well so I'm not sure it's worth it. Looks stout though.

1680183476419.png

1680183568418.png

I haven't seen many UOA's but I am thinking they may look a bit different than the higher SA high performance oils.

The benefit would be in the higher oxidation value indication more group V
The oxidization value doesn't translate to more ester content, that's now how this works.

Also, that Group V is POE, which has no impact whatsoever on seal swell. The rest is usually PAO and the additive package. The POE should help keep the PAO in check, unless another ester type is needed for that (seal swell).

@buster thanks for posting this.

The additive package looks to be your run of the mill "vanilla" mid-SAPS Euro package. I don't think this is nearly as good or well tested and blended as Mobil 1 ESP.

For the daily commuter/grocery getter there is absolutely zero benefit in running this oil. The higher POE concentration helps with high temperature performance, something that most people don't have to deal with, unless they're tracking their cars or doing something that takes the engine outside of normal operating parameters or they're running modified/tuned engines.

What do you think the UOAs will show you to help decide to use this?

Recommended for....
Which to give them a break, the VW approval (like all the rest) use a minimum or maximum HT/HS as the requirement. Yes they list allowable grades within the approval but that’s more than a little silly given that HT/HS is the actual performance metric. Some Mercedes-Benz approvals are starting to eliminate the allowed grades which makes some technical sense.

What do you think the UOAs will show you to help decide to use this?
Well I doubt I would run it. What is intriguing about it is it still retains the high quality ester/pao base oils but has a more modern additive system with a much lower SA level than their high performance line. I am curious if it exhibits different UOA results such as Cu/Pb and Tbn retention.

Well I doubt I would run it. What is intriguing about it is it still retains the high quality ester/pao base oils but has a more modern additive system with a much lower SA level than their high performance line. I am curious if it exhibits different UOA results such as Cu/Pb and Tbn retention.
Are you aware that this oil is in their High Performance line? Their Professional Line contains Gr3 or PAO. HP line contains POE or PAO. I would not be surprised if the addpacks between them were not that different.

Are you aware that this oil is in their High Performance line? Their Professional Line contains Gr3 or PAO. HP line contains POE or PAO. I would not be surprised if the addpacks between them were not that different.
I am yeah. It's their high performance Euro oil - their pao/ester blend with a euro based additive system (lower SA). Moly significantly reduced and ZDP as well.

I like the lower moly amount (reduced deposits) and lower SA levels for GDI engines. Should also be more LSPI compliant. What intrigues me about it is it still contains a good amount of esters per Red Line.

The challenge is that you just need so much UOA data to develop trends for your vehicle that a single UOA will tell you v. little. I don't see how this oil wouldn't be "good" to use in basically any normal vehicle that had the typical 5K changes etc.

Here is a UOA for Red Line Euro 5W-30. Poor results compared to M1 0W-40.
2005 Lotus Elise M1 0w-40 ~3k | Bob Is The Oil Guy

API SN/SP 5W-30 synthetics are all pretty similar. Additives amounts are dictated by API, there's little the blenders can do differently. OK for normal driving but inadequate for performance or heavy duty use. I switched to 5W-40/0W-40 oils with robust anti-wear packs. I'd rather avoid having to replace another wiped camshaft due to poor 5W-30 lubrication.

I have a UoA coming of redline euro 5w30 from my Cobb tuned Raptor. It will be mixed with whatever it had from the factory. (I assume motorcraft 5w30) So it will be a bad data point.

I did change it at 6,000 miles ish. So I’ll have another data point in a few months. I’m driving it about ~22000-24000 miles a year at current rate. Will go down when I pick up my new mustang. (It will also run redline Euro 5w30.)

I’m semi skeptical of that UoA. So I’ll dig mine up out of our mass of reports here one of these days. I have a marketer round table next week with one of the majors. So it won’t be next week.

We run a few hundred samples a week. So it takes some digging.

Here is a UOA for Red Line Euro 5W-30. Poor results compared to M1 0W-40.
2005 Lotus Elise M1 0w-40 ~3k | Bob Is The Oil Guy

API SN/SP 5W-30 synthetics are all pretty similar. Additives amounts are dictated by API, there's little the blenders can do differently. OK for normal driving but inadequate for performance or heavy duty use. I switched to 5W-40/0W-40 oils with robust anti-wear packs. I'd rather avoid having to replace another wiped camshaft due to poor 5W-30 lubrication.
Not poor just different. TBN always starts out lower with C3 oils. These oils are to be used with ULSG/ULSD.

Back