Red Line 15w40 Diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought an '07 F250 with the 6.0L Powerstroke. As an oil nut will do, I immediately started to get up to speed on what diesel oils were out there. I am an incureable synthetic nut and it seems to me that the turbo on this engine demands the use of a synthetic oil. Anywone ever run the Red Line 15w40 Diesel oil? How well did it work? Can you go 10K miles on it in a vehicle that often tows a heavy trailer? Thanks

I have not used that oil, but reading what a few others have posted, it was notable in the fact that out of all the diesel oils run, that it absolutely would not shear as most oils do, at least somewhat, in the Powerstroke HEUI injection system. I would think that any high quality synthetic like Redline should have no trouble going 10k miles oci in a properly running Powerstroke.

Does that year engine require a CJ-4 oil? I was just wondering and will have to check and see if Redline is now CJ-4 as well.

RL 5w40 and 15w40 hold up very well from the UOA's I've seen on here.

Terribly expensive. You would have to run them on bypass with top quality full flow out to the longest possible intervals for your engine to make it worthwhile.

I just put 15qts of Baton Rouge Industries 15w-40 in my 06 PSD for the first time.
I may get a sample from work and send it in for a VOA.
I've been told to go no less than 7500 miles on it.
Congrats on the 07 PSD! I love my 06. I've got a 4inch straight pipe and an SCT Tuner. Runs great!

Last edited:
Thanks guys, the owner's manual says to put CI-4 in it, but I figure that will get hard to find in the near future so I'm not really considering that aspect of oil. Just looking for something that will stand the rigors of towing in the heat of the deep south summer.

FMR - when I bought mine it had the K&N oem style intake on it. Never been a fan of K&N, but it would cost me $$$ to reverse the intake now. Other than that the engine appears stock. The exhaust is stock and will be my first upgrade. The rest of the truck is bad-a, Skyjacker lift, 4" I'm guessing, with big front and rear bumpers, headache rack and tool box.
Here's a pic:
DSC01585.jpg

I am a HUGE fan of redline products, but with the frequency of breakdowns with my 2004 6.0 (2003 MY engine), I have decided it no longer deserves the benefit of an oil that expensive. FWIW, cold starts are smoother with delvac 1, and surprisingly, even more so with rotella syn. In my case, I believe the HPOP and injector components are getting "tired", hence the improved cold start behavior with 5w40, along with better turbo response. Redline 5w40 wasn't listed as a diesel app until recently, so I haven't tried it, but I'm sure it would be fine. I won't spend the $$$ anymore, as my truck is almost paid off and I intend to look at the new cummins plants if chrysler survives. My 6.0 no longer has a single original injector, all replaced under warranty. I'm looking for a smaller diesel, but the proposed 4.4L f150 is out. I refuse to buy an engine designed with timing belts.

I'm really not wanting to go the 5w40 route. I don't need the cold start help on the bottom end, I live in Louisiana, and I do think the lack of VII of the 15w40 is a benefit in the hot weather, especially when towing. I just filled it with Delo 400 LE only because I didn't know when the oil was changed last and I wanted to gain control of the OCI. I imagine I'll change the oil every 5,000 miles and I'll try Red Line first and of course do an UOA. I hope I have better luck with my last model year of this engine than you did with your first run model.

There is absolutly no reason to run Redline oil is you are changing your oil at 5,000 mile intervals .You don't need a uoa untill the second or third oil change unless you suspect a problem.

Originally Posted By: turbodieselfreak
I'm looking for a smaller diesel, but the proposed 4.4L f150 is out. I refuse to buy an engine designed with timing belts.

I applaud you for your recognition that engine sizes and outputs on US pickup trucks designed for GVWs of ~18,000 lb at most have grown too much.
The 4 cyl version of the 6 cyl motor in my Unimog puts out 515 ft-lb and 177hp out of 4.25L. The same block goes up to 4.8L, 218hp/597 ft-lb. That, IMHO, is the type of motor that should be used in Class 2-5 trucks in this country. Maybe with more smaller cylinders (6 or V8) for decreased vibration. Smaller cyls would allow >rpm (the Mercedes motors are rated at 2200) for >hp with same torque.
Mercedes puts the 4 cyl 904s and 924s in 18K GVW Vario trucks and 28K GVW Atego trucks.

Charlie

Unimog U500/Unicat camper
Delvac 1 SHC 5W-40

Originally Posted By: turbodieselfreak
I'm looking for a smaller diesel, but the proposed 4.4L f150 is out. I refuse to buy an engine designed with timing belts.

Where did you hear the 4.4 had timing belts?

Haven't heard anything but speculation regarding this, and I think it's based on the [incorrect] idea that the engine is based on the Lion; which it isn't.

Originally Posted By: m37charlie

I applaud you for your recognition that engine sizes and outputs on US pickup trucks designed for GVWs of ~18,000 lb at most have grown too much.

Unimog U500/Unicat camper
Delvac 1 SHC 5W-40

Charlie, not sure why you say that. With a GVWR of 11,400, and GCWR of 23,500 I would LOVE more motor for towing some insane grades through the mountains. Right now, I'm struggling to maintain 45-50 on some of the bigger hills in the rockies without unsafe EGT.

If Ford pulls their heads out and offers the 8.3 Cummins in a F450, I'd buy one in a heartbeat, and I'm sure many others would as well.

Not much chance of that. it would twist the pickup size+ sized parts in the drivetrain into junk: transmission, transfer case if 4WD, driveshaft, diffs, axles....

Charlie

YOU MORE THAN OK WITH A GOOD DINO OIL SUCH AS ROTELLA, DELVAC, OR DELO. IT IS MUCH CHEAPER TOO SO YOU COULD INVEST THAT $$ IN OTHER AREAS OF YOUR TRUCK. I KNOW....I AM A FORMER SYNTHETIC JUNKIE MYSELF WHO IS AT LEAST $200 RICHER THIS YEAR DUE TO REHAB AND MY TRUCK IS RUNNING AND ANALYZING MORE THAN OK.

Not much chance of that. it would twist the pickup size+ sized parts in the drivetrain into junk: transmission, transfer case if 4WD, driveshaft, diffs, axles....

Charlie

I disagree completely - the Cummins 8.3 puts out 350hp and 1000tq at it's hottest tune - turned up 3/4 ton trucks are putting out these kind of numbers and more all day with relatively minor mods and beefing. No reason a 1 1/4 ton couldn't handle them.

In fact, the F450 is rated for 33K GCWR, 16K bumper, and 24K F/W or Gooseneck. If that frame and axle can withstand 33K but not 1000 foot pounds, I'd be extremely concerned. This is solidly into medium duty territory, and the 8.3 is a medium duty motor. In fact - the Cummins ILS9 is a medium duty motor as well with 380hp and 1300tq. Yeehaw!

I would just like to be able to have a motor putting out this level of power to live as long as a diesel should. The engines are currently the limiting factor in diesel pickups - not the chassis.

Originally Posted By: robertjhoag

Charlie

I disagree completely - the Cummins 8.3 puts out 350hp and 1000tq at it's hottest tune - turned up 3/4 ton trucks are putting out these kind of numbers and more all day with relatively minor mods and beefing. No reason a 1 1/4 ton couldn't handle them.

In fact, the F450 is rated for 33K GCWR, 16K bumper, and 24K F/W or Gooseneck. If that frame and axle can withstand 33K but not 1000 foot pounds, I'd be extremely concerned. This is solidly into medium duty territory, and the 8.3 is a medium duty motor. In fact - the Cummins ILS9 is a medium duty motor as well with 380hp and 1300tq. Yeehaw!

I would just like to be able to have a motor putting out this level of power to live as long as a diesel should. The engines are currently the limiting factor in diesel pickups - not the chassis.

I respectfully beg to differ. Look at the drivetrain parts behind motors with these outputs. That's all I'm going to say.

Charlie

I use Red Line products bumper to bumper in everything I own with an engine, especially my Dodge Ram w/ Cummins and race cars. The 15W-40 and now the 5W-40 are the best diesel oils IMO, and the VOAs have proven it over and over again. As for cost, it's chump change compared to my investment, and is a no brainer. Think about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back