Red Line 10W-30, 1992 Acura NSX, 12month/685mile

The car spent most of the last year at the body shop getting repainted, so there's a year on the oil but only 685 miles. Very sad. Car also had timing belt service done just before taking it to the paint shop, so I'm hoping that the copper is from that somehow. Not sure why the bump in magnesium, unless Red Line changed formulas.

I refilled with M1 0W-40. I'm lazy and am just doing that in all my cars now... easiest to stock one good, cheap oil for all.

1624566975947.png

Obligatory photo of car...

1624567138226.png

Red Line adjusted the formula and added Magnesium. I guess they're trying to keep up with the latest trends.

Looking at Mo, Ca, Zn, P, and Mg, it seems that Red Line is adjusting their additive package to be more LSPI friendly. It's got more of everything, but not *that* much more. If they keep this up they might catch up to Valvoline Extended Protection pretty soon :LOL:. Since you went to Mobil 1 FS 0W-40, I take it that you weren't that impressed with it. Any comments?

That's a very nice ride, use it well and enjoy 😁.

I have no issues at all with Red Line. Like I said, I'm just lazy these days. M1 0W-40 is cheap, easy to acquire, and should work just fine in everything I own.

1624568665992.png
1624568700004.png

That's Red Lines and chelation for you. It's been probably leached out of bushings.

I mean, maybe... but it's had Red Line in it for years. I think it's a sealant that was used during the reassembly when the timing belt service was done.

I mean, maybe... but it's had Red Line in it for years. I think it's a sealant that was used during the reassembly when the timing belt service was done.
It's possible, very possible. If it was something wrong or wear-related then the Fe number would have spiked as well, possibly Al as well. It looks okay. A shame you only did 685 miles on this oil.

It's possible, very possible. If it was something wrong or wear-related then the Fe number would have spiked as well, possibly Al as well. It looks okay. A shame you only did 685 miles on this oil.
I debated just running it another year, and looking at the data here, it would have done it easily. But I figured it's cheap and pretty foolish to try and eek out time on oil on this motor.

Nice. Yeah, Redline is good stuff but UOA's of both oils on the exact same engine bring back similar results, but not same, results aka engine is wearing greatly. Some would argue for the extra moly but meh. You are gaining some HTHS by going with M1, 3.6 vs Redlines 3.5, which is a great number for a oil that meets A40 and 229.5 specs. Some may argue that esters in Redline (I think more than M1 0W40) are the main seller of this oil and the reason for its price (better base stocks etc). However I know that M1 0w40 uses GTL and esters (not in great quantity compared to Redline) as well.

One thing is that I do use Redline lubes for the diff and transmission, no issue on that front nor have I carried out any UOAs on them because I change the diff and trans every three years which equates to roughly 12,000 km, which is nothing so why waste my cash?

Enjoy the car and your new choice, it won't let you down.

100% agreed. I used Red Line gear lubes in all my cars, never had a problem, always shift nicely. I've used M1 0W-40 in many cars over the years, too, and it's always been fine. It'll be interesting to see what the next few years/UOA bring, but I'm willing to bet the engine keeps on hitting 8000rpm without a hitch :)

Back