Recommendations for 1980 Toyota 22R-E

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will be the proud new owner of a 4x4 1980 Toyota Pickup this weekend, that has a 22R-E/5 Speed manual. This truck is in bad shape to be honest. It has 142k miles on it, and the guy told me the past 10 years its seen about 200-300 miles a year. From the condition of the tires and brakes, and the overall condition of the truck, he has just let it go years back. So I'm thinking the oil hasn't been changed in years. (Didn't ask him
21.gif
)

It does burn a small amount of oil at startup, if the engine is cold. Three seperate people have told me that is more than likely a valve stem seal leak. Other than that, it seems to run fine.

With all this being said, I would like recommendations on what oil I should run in it, and what OCI for the first run. (Feel free to recommend things for the first OCI and the OCI's following that.)

Keep in mind I will not be putting many miles on this truck either, it will primarily be my hunting truck. Creeping around the woods at low speeds, and seeing about 2-300 miles a year.

A very knowledgeable friend told me to run a high mileage oil, but just want to know what everyone thinks.

Great truck! that engine is legendary.

Id vote a nice thick HDEO as well. Maybe a slightly shorter OCI than usual for a run or two.

10W30 is a bit light, I'd run a high mileage 10W40. That's what I run in my 88 22RE, with no problems. I have the Castrol GTX HM in there right now.

Originally Posted By: ALL_OUT_LS1
10W30 is a bit light, I'd run a high mileage 10W40. That's what I run in my 88 22RE, with no problems. I have the Castrol GTX HM in there right now.

How many quarts do you use?... I haven't read the manual yet, but I've read online people putting 4.5-5 qts.

4.5 with a filter. HDEO's work well even 15w-40.
Only concern with this engine is the timing chain issue.

22RE??? Not available in 1980? is it Carbed?

My 1982 SR-5 Toyota is still going with well over 300,000 miles but this is its last year.

When I sold it the box was rusted out badly so the new owner put a flat bed on it. Now the cab and floorboards are shot and will not pass safety inspection. Unless he wants to spend a few $$ getting it safe its a farm truck.

Oil used mostly 10w-30 conventional anything on sale.

Loved that truck! It has been USED and still kept going.

Bill

Originally Posted By: expat

My 1982 has a carb (along with 3 miles of hoses it seemed)

So I'd think his 80 would be carb'd....

Originally Posted By: expat

Could be 22R, and the timing chain was replaced a few years back.

Originally Posted By: _Wes_
I will be the proud new owner of a 4x4 1980 Toyota Pickup this weekend, that has a 22R-E/5 Speed manual. This truck is in bad shape to be honest. It has 142k miles on it, and the guy told me the past 10 years its seen about 200-300 miles a year. From the condition of the tires and brakes, and the overall condition of the truck, he has just let it go years back. So I'm thinking the oil hasn't been changed in years. (Didn't ask him
21.gif
)

It does burn a small amount of oil at startup, if the engine is cold. Three seperate people have told me that is more than likely a valve stem seal leak. Other than that, it seems to run fine.

With all this being said, I would like recommendations on what oil I should run in it, and what OCI for the first run. (Feel free to recommend things for the first OCI and the OCI's following that.)

Keep in mind I will not be putting many miles on this truck either, it will primarily be my hunting truck. Creeping around the woods at low speeds, and seeing about 2-300 miles a year.

A very knowledgeable friend told me to run a high mileage oil, but just want to know what everyone thinks.

You have a well worn jewel there. I can finally give a recommendation based on personal experience!

Castrol 20w-50.

I put 335000 on my '88 Yota pickup without a hickup...never should have sold it. I should not have run such a thick oil in a new engine but it served me well and would probably be a great choice for your new "beater".

Good luck.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Should be a 20R not a 22R if it's the original engine.

I was looking at the engine, and under the hood I glanced the sticker, thought it read 22R. Could be wrong. I'm waiting on him to clean it out, and should be picking it up this weekend. More details to follow.

Originally Posted By: bigdreama

You have a well worn jewel there. I can finally give a recommendation based on personal experience!

Castrol 20w-50.

I put 335000 on my '88 Yota pickup without a hickup...never should have sold it. I should not have run such a thick oil in a new engine but it served me well and would probably be a great choice for your new "beater".

Good luck.

shocked2.gif
That's some thick 'ol oil there, but obviously that worked great for you. Thanks for the info.

Last edited:
Well after reading the various replies, and second guess what I saw under the hood, I've figured the problem out. I mistakenly put 1980, when it should have read 1990.
spankme2.gif

Too bad I can't edit the topic... Please feel free to harass my stupidity.

Wes,

I would have the engine flushed out well and then a good dino of your choice is in order. I too suggest a 10W-30 as it's used by more people overall although now a days it's more likely changine to 5W-30.

If your palnning to clean it up and use it I suggest you at least once per week take it for a drive on the freeway to keep moisture from collecting. Get the oi nice n; hot to circulate throughout the engine.

Durango

That makes more sense. The newer 22RE's liked to break the timing chain runners. If it ever starts having an odd rattling noise from the timing cover area get to it Pronto. If you let it go the chain will rub a hole through the timing cover which then dumps all the coolant into the oil.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
That makes more sense. The newer 22RE's liked to break the timing chain runners. If it ever starts having an odd rattling noise from the timing cover area get to it Pronto. If you let it go the chain will rub a hole through the timing cover which then dumps all the coolant into the oil.

Funny you included this... He did say that it almost rubbed a hole in the cover, before he got it looked at.

Originally Posted By: bigdreama
Originally Posted By: _Wes_
21.gif
)

Castrol 20w-50.

Good luck.
The thick oil really doesn't matter .Did it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back