Recommendation for Golf VII 1.8T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just picked up a 17 Golf with the 1.8t ea888 gen3 motor. Looks clean in the fill cap. Anyway, what would you guys run in it? I'm used to 502 oil but I was going to revisit the topic of going to a 504 oil.

The other weird thing is that the dealer said they changed it, didn't reset the service intervals so I did that, it reads about 4700mi til next service or 180 days. That seems like a severe schedule, is there a setting?

I believe they are 10,000 mile based oil changes. At least, my '17 GTI was. They most likely did not reset the service interval, or perhaps they fibbed about the oil change. Was it a VW dealer?

Use either 502 or 504 oil with confidence. It's really hard to beat the price of the 5 quart jugs of Mobil 1 0W-40 or Castrol (0W-40 or 5W-40) at Walmart, which are all VW 502 approved.

In the GTI, I used all of the above depending one which was least expensive.

I would use Castrol 0w40 in your VW over the Mobil 1 ,your ears will be happier . And change oil at 5k not 10k and your engine will be happier .

Last edited:
Originally Posted by typ901
Our 2015 Golf ran well on Valvoline 5w-40 mst. You can also source it from Walmart

Why would you go out of your way to chase down a relatively expensive oil like that when there are ones on the Walmart shelf for nearly half the price? One has a rebate making it even less expensive.

Does that product even have any VW approvals?

Originally Posted by kschachn
Our 2015 Golf ran well on Valvoline 5w-40 mst. You can also source it from Walmart

Why would you go out of your way to chase down a relatively expensive oil like that when there are ones on the Walmart shelf for nearly half the price? One has a rebate making it even less expensive.

Does that product even have any VW approvals?
Maybe he got them for 10 bucks a jug a few weeks ago like many on here did . I forget how many I got maybe 10 ? Valvoline makes it unclear but the HTHS is correct anyway .

Valvoline 5W-40 MST does have VW 502 Approval. Cost is the same as "normal" FS Valvoline, if you shop at the right retailer.

Originally Posted by gt2211
Valvoline 5W-40 MST does have VW 502 Approval. Cost is the same as "normal" FS Valvoline, if you shop at the right retailer.

Interesting, I was looking on the latest Audi list and it wasn't there but I agree Valvoline says it is approved on their PI sheet. Thanks.

Again though why would you have to shop at the right retailer when a similar 502 00 approved oil can be found everywhere at an easy retailer? Is it the same cost as Castrol or Mobil 1 0W-40 at Walmart?

7.5k OCI for my 1.8 (tuned) using 5W40 Liquimoly Leichtlauf High Tech.

Interesting, I was looking on the latest Audi list and it wasn't there but I agree Valvoline says it is approved on their PI sheet. Thanks.

Again though why would you have to shop at the right retailer when a similar 502 00 approved oil can be found everywhere at an easy retailer? Is it the same cost as Castrol or Mobil 1 0W-40 at Walmart?

Just pointing out it is not as expensive as you made it out to be, just now always available at Walmart but easy enough to find at most major auto parts stores like NAPA and even at Meijer, priced very similar to, and when on sale, less than Castrol or Mobil.

Just pointing out it is not as expensive as you made it out to be, just now always available at Walmart but easy enough to find at most major auto parts stores like NAPA and even at Meijer, priced very similar to, and when on sale, less than Castrol or Mobil.

I was wanting to say NOT always available at Walmart.

It's available at Walmart online. I started using it years ago always purchased at W-M. It's C3 approved; which is for mid-saps oil, which is good for a DI engine.

https://www.acea.be/uploads/news_documents/ACEA_European_oil_sequences_2016_update_REV_2.pdf

ACEA does not have approval process. Oil manufacturers self-test oils against ACEA guidelines.
Valvoline 5W40 MST in old packaging had clearly stated wording that oil was approved against: MB 229.51, BMW LL04, VW 502.00/505.01, etc. New packaging does not have that language. On new packaging there is only language that oil is recommended for pretty much all important specifications, gas and diesel. But does not say it is approved.
I used old packaging in my BMW X5 35d as I got on sale at NAPA some 60 quarts for $2 per quart. However, really do not know what happened with approvals for that oil.

Last edited:
U
Originally Posted by edyvw
It's available at Walmart online. I started using it years ago always purchased at W-M. It's C3 approved; which is for mid-saps oil, which is good for a DI engine.

https://www.acea.be/uploads/news_documents/ACEA_European_oil_sequences_2016_update_REV_2.pdf

ACEA does not have approval process. Oil manufacturers self-test oils against ACEA guidelines.
Valvoline 5W40 MST in old packaging had clearly stated wording that oil was approved against: MB 229.51, BMW LL04, VW 502.00/505.01, etc. New packaging does not have that language. On new packaging there is only language that oil is recommended for pretty much all important specifications, gas and diesel. But does not say it is approved.
I used old packaging in my BMW X5 35d as I got on sale at NAPA some 60 quarts for $2 per quart. However, really do not know what happened with approvals for that oil.

It's still listed as approved on bevo website as 229.51. As far as your statement concerning ACEA, not sure what value that adds since that's applicable to all oils not just my recommendation. So disregard all ACEA ratings as they are mfg tested? And Valvoline lists the oil on their website as approved and licensed for several specs you are stating the label does not include the word approved.

U

It's still listed as approved on bevo website as 229.51. As far as your statement concerning ACEA, not sure what value that adds since that's applicable to all oils not just my recommendation. So disregard all ACEA ratings as they are mfg tested? And Valvoline lists the oil on their website as approved and licensed for several specs you are stating the label does not include the word approved.

I ma not stating that ACEA C3 does not matter. I am saying that contrary to your statement, there is NO approval process.
Valvoline is "double dipping." It changed label saying that oil is recommended for BOTH BMW LL01 and LL04, and MB 229.5 and MB 229.51. Now, I think that Valvoline is trying to say customers that have BMW and MB gas engines: yes you can use this oil. So, per Valvoline it is approved for MB 229.51 and BMW LL04. However, it cannot be approved than for MB 229.5 and BMW LL01 as it is not High-SAPS oil. Valvoline might be approved (be aware that any change in chemical composition of oil requires re-approval) for CERTAIN specifications, but what they doing is market oil as applicable for engines requireing High-SAPS since the US moved to ULSG. That is not hones marketing (and Valvoline was always good in being transparent). They bet that people do not care for approvals.

U

I ma not stating that ACEA C3 does not matter. I am saying that contrary to your statement, there is NO approval process.
Valvoline is "double dipping." It changed label saying that oil is recommended for BOTH BMW LL01 and LL04, and MB 229.5 and MB 229.51. Now, I think that Valvoline is trying to say customers that have BMW and MB gas engines: yes you can use this oil. So, per Valvoline it is approved for MB 229.51 and BMW LL04. However, it cannot be approved than for MB 229.5 and BMW LL01 as it is not High-SAPS oil. Valvoline might be approved (be aware that any change in chemical composition of oil requires re-approval) for CERTAIN specifications, but what they doing is market oil as applicable for engines requireing High-SAPS since the US moved to ULSG. That is not hones marketing (and Valvoline was always good in being transparent). They bet that people do not care for approvals.

I'm reading as stated from the Valvoline website not the bottle. More to the point, OP asked what can be used for his EA888 Gen3. This oil is approved for 502. He's not asking for a BMW or MB. It's approved for his application. That's why I made the recommendation. Your labeling argument is valid but is not germane to the OP's question. If you have an issue with the labeling contact Valvoline and ask them to clarify.

My point is that Valvoline is doing some monkey business. Also, labeling does not state anymore that is approved for VW 502.00. Usually companies state (Mobil1, Castrol) that oil is approved against certain specifications and recommended for others.

It's so easy/cheap to use a proper 502-approved oil why would you mess with this Valvoline? I don't get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back