Recommend oil for new car (2007 Honda Civic Si)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

I picked a 2007 Honda Civic Si Sedan about a month ago. I'm just shy of 2000 miles, and still using the oil that came with the car. I live in Chicago, so we have all 4 seasons. This car will be daily driven throughout all 4 seasons.

Definitely, definitely go the 15% route and I might add that you should try to get to 5000 miles on the FF if it all possible meaning if you are at 15% and not at 5000 miles likes I was (4700-ish), drive the necessary miles, whatever it may be to get to 5k. Leave that FF in there as much as possible and try to follow THAT up with changing it to an oil as close as FF as possible. I did just that for 15,500 miles *after* FF was removed and now my car is getting 3, 4 even 5 mpg ABOVE what the EPA stickered it for back in 2006 (mid to late 2005!)
banana.gif

Last edited:
Quote:

If you choose Amsoil, buy from a site sponsor. The XLF is a good value if you become a preferred customer. Currently it is $4.55 a quart. It gets cheaper if you buy a gallon. So how many quarts do you need? The reason I recommend Amsoil XLF is because you are going to be using the factory OLM. If you run the Amsoil XL you will be able to run it down to 15% with confidence.

Great choice.
thumbsup.gif

Si sedan owner since April '07. Very fun to drive... powertrain much more tractable than the performance specs would indicate. Here's my plan:
I dumped the factory fill & filter at 4800 miles/20% olm; the last 1800 of those miles was a trip to Kentucky and back. Decision made on the basis of some internet tales of trash in the factory fill oil and my best educated guess. Sidenote- A surprising 36 mpg (West Virginia Sunoco) on one segment of the return trip - 65-75mph with the air on, 3 passengers and luggage. Daily commute 26-28 mpg.
Current fill is Pennzoil Platinum 5-30, Pure One filter. No noticeable oil consumption. Will run to 10k; Amsoil ASL & Eao filter will go in then.
I very strongly recommend going to to Amsoil MTL now - my transmission started to get the 3rd gear notchiness, even with the "improved" Honda fluid, at 5-6k miles. MTL stopped that, and in time for the coming cold weather.

Quote:

I very strongly recommend going to to Amsoil MTL now - my transmission started to get the 3rd gear notchiness, even with the "improved" Honda fluid, at 5-6k miles. MTL stopped that, and in time for the coming cold weather.

A second vote for the Amsoil MTF. I dumped the factory fill on my 2003 Civic at 25k, right before winter 2005. The Amsoil fluid drastically improved shift ability in those cold 0* PA winter mornings.

Combine the above with the advertised stronger additives, and I feel it is a no brainer.

First: When should I change the oil? I thought I read somewhere the proper first oil change was 3,750. Now all I can find is "when the Maintenance Minder reads 15%".

Welcome to the Si club! I've had a 2006 and just bought a 2007 here is what I did. Let the factory fill work, change the oil only if or when it reads add. If it's between the 2 dots don't change it no worries. This should be between 3,500 and 5,000 miles. If the stick reads add before 5,000 mark I used Chevron Supreme 5w-30 until 5,000 miles. Dump it and use synthetic. I would use AMSOIL ASL 5W-30 or Motul 5w-30 Eco-nergy for the type of driving you will be doing. I'm going to try the Motul 5w-30 300V OCI at my next 5,000 miles. But I have the AMSOIL ASL handy. My son loves the ASL in his 03 Acura RSX Type S. We have some AMSOIL dealers at this site who could fix ya up. I'll be posting some UOA's in the near future.

Quote:

First: When should I change the oil? I thought I read somewhere the proper first oil change was 3,750. Now all I can find is "when the Maintenance Minder reads 15%".

Welcome to the Si club! I've had a 2006 and just bought a 2007 here is what I did. Let the factory fill work, change the oil only if or when it reads add. If it's between the 2 dots don't change it no worries. This should be between 3,500 and 5,000 miles. If the stick reads add before 5,000 mark I used Chevron Supreme 5w-30 until 5,000 miles. Dump it and use synthetic. I would use AMSOIL ASL 5W-30 or Motul 5w-30 Eco-nergy for the type of driving you will be doing. I'm going to try the Motul 5w-30 300V OCI at my next 5,000 miles. But I have the AMSOIL ASL handy. My son loves the ASL in his 03 Acura RSX Type S. We have some AMSOIL dealers at this site who could fix ya up. I'll be posting some UOA's in the near future.

I want a 'J' Vin 08 Accord coupe 6MT Red on Black at end of year or possible 3rd to 5th batches after they start selling them at 500 over invoice.

2006 & 2007 Si Civic owners,

Your mpg mixed city results are really no worse than some what Honda Fit owners are getting. Honda fit only cranks out 107 hp or so. So for another 100hp your mpg numbers are really solid. Enjoy your sweet compromise.
grin.gif

My resistance is in the jump in insurance rates. $650 to $780 every 6 months depending on deductions & I have a spotless record and I'm 43.
crazy.gif

I have a K20a2 motor in my 95 Civic. I've done the research on filters and for what type of driving you are doing, I'd just get the factory OEM filters. The standard they use for the Beta Ratio is really good.

The Hamp ones if you want that bling effect of saying you run them.

Use Honda s2000 OEM, Wix, PureOne, M1 Extended Performance or K&N oil filters if you are looking for a lower PSI drop accross the filter for AutoX or Roadcourse Driving. The K&N will flow the best. I've chosen the Wix filter for it's quality construction, availability and price at local stores(Oriely's/Arnolds). If you like buying in bulk, I'd probably just get the OEM ones.. .

M1 from Walmart but I'm thinking about running 5W-40 Amsoil for track days next year.

Honda A01 filters are really good too, but I'm not sure if they fit your application. They're made by a subsidiary of the people who make the S2000 and HAMP filters (Toyo Roki -> Filtech)

Last edited:
thread back from the dead.
I acutally bought a 2008 Si, new. Currently on 14,500 miles. I've been using M1 0W-30 for the last couple changes. Used Dino for the first 3k and 2nd 3k and then 1/2 syn 1/2 dino for the 3rd 3.5k and then 0-30 for 4500 miles and currently on 0-30 for the 5th change.

Going to send in my blackstone laboratories sample here soon.
With the last oil change I poped in a new K&N drop in filter for a little more performance. Stock car otherwise.

Since new, I've been getting anywhere b/t 27-32mpg combined driving. I live in Arizona so its hot and currently get on the lower end b/c of heat and AC use.

If I remember, I'll post with results of my sample.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back