Recommend me a new Mower and Brush Cutter

I've been looking at a Honda Mower and Brush Cutter but I have come across mixed reviews on the new Honda Mowers (HRU216).

Not sure if the HRU196 models are still around. But have been trying to find a good one second-hand.

I'd rather not a self propelled but I'm OK with a 'blade brake' mower.

In relation to the brush cutter, I've read mixed reviews about the 25cc UMK425 with some calling it 'gutless' and others loving it.

Any recommendations?

Rent one if at all possible and decide for yourself. I have a backyard project that is going to require something like this, so I will rent whatever Home Depot has available.

I don't know what your needs are. However, I recently purchased a Toro "conventional" Electric mower. It uses a thick Steel deck and regular mower blade, just like any gas mower. Note: Many of the E-mowers use razor thin blades to ease the load on the battery.

In any case, the mower is fantastic. Toro also makes a Commercial version with aluminum deck.

I'm not making the claim it's better than a top-shelf Honda mower. It's not. But it is epic powerful, very light, quiet and a real pleasure to use.

Here is the Commercial mower

22282-60v-wpm-hd-34r-co20_4666s-11390-1600x1369.ashx

I've been looking at a Honda Mower and Brush Cutter but I have come across mixed reviews on the new Honda Mowers (HRU216).

Not sure if the HRU196 models are still around. But have been trying to find a good one second-hand.

I'd rather not a self propelled but I'm OK with a 'blade brake' mower.

In relation to the brush cutter, I've read mixed reviews about the 25cc UMK425 with some calling it 'gutless' and others loving it.

Any recommendations?
Honda for the mower. My 216 is 30 years old. You're gonna get tired of pushing your mower for the next 30 years so get a a self propelled mower.

On the mower side, a vote for the Snapper design ... old but tried and true. Running one from 2004 and it has been very reliable. I would recommend a Honda engine as the Briggs on mine is a weak point.

As far as the brushcutter, I've run a 21.2 CC two stroke Echo for years and have found that when brushcutting, demands on engine power are actually much less than when weedeating, as long as you aren't using it for brush over 1 to 1.5 inches. I would think that the Honda you mentioned should do just fine. I'm assuming it is a 4 stroke? If so, the power per CC may be similar to the 21.2 two stroke that I'm familiar with.

Last edited:
HRX217 with the composite deck. I was weary of a non-steel deck but it has a lifetime warranty (just register) and has held up well. I drive over branches, roots, and the occasional rocks and there are no cracks, just scratches. Also didn't change the (original) oil in it for 4 years and it runs like a champ. Blackstone even said the oil was fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: FZ1
I have Honda for my self-propelled mower and for my snowblower and I've got Echo for my chainsaw, tiller, leaf blower, and string trimmer. All of which have been very reliable. I did replace the clutch in the chainsaw last year (6th year) but I've put that saw through some hell. None of the other equipment has required a single repair. My vote goes for whatever model meets your needs from either Honda or Echo.

I used to collect mowers for some reason 🥴

I’ve owned hundreds of them. Basically , every brand that’s been on the market and available in North America in the last 30 years.

I’m 1000% convinced that the Toro Super Recycler is the finest consumer lawn mower available. Period. It has the best cut. And amazing parts availability from Toro. And a super durable aluminum deck. Just a beast of a mower that can realistically last 30 years.

The old Honda 214 was the absolute best mower of its time with amazing over engineering. A true masterpiece. Problem is? It’s way overbuilt. It would be just great if Honda could sell the 214 today, but they couldn’t sell any. Why? Because with todays money, it would cost over $1500 in todays money. There is no way possible that they could get the price point down to a point that people would buy it.

Which brings us to todays Honda mowers. $450-$750. Decent enough mowers. And some will last a long time. But Honda had to make concessions and cheapen them up. Remember, price sells mowers. People don’t care if they can still use it for 30 years.

I like to feel im pretty educated on this topic and I’ll scream from the roof tops how good the Toro Super Recycler is. It should be considered over the Honda.

I use such machines for a living. Anything you have to carry around should be 2 stroke for the power/weight. For homeowner use it probably doesn't matter as much. Few things are worse than swinging an underpowered brush cutter that keeps bogging down though.

I’ve owned hundreds of them. Basically , every brand that’s been on the market and available in North America in the last 30 years.

I’m 1000% convinced that the Toro Super Recycler is the finest consumer lawn mower available. Period. It has the best cut. And amazing parts availability from Toro. And a super durable aluminum deck. Just a beast of a mower that can realistically last 30 years.

The old Honda 214 was the absolute best mower of its time with amazing over engineering. A true masterpiece. Problem is? It’s way overbuilt. It would be just great if Honda could sell the 214 today, but they couldn’t sell any. Why? Because with todays money, it would cost over $1500 in todays money. There is no way possible that they could get the price point down to a point that people would buy it.

Which brings us to todays Honda mowers. $450-$750. Decent enough mowers. And some will last a long time. But Honda had to make concessions and cheapen them up. Remember, price sells mowers. People don’t care if they can still use it for 30 years.

I like to feel im pretty educated on this topic and I’ll scream from the roof tops how good the Toro Super Recycler is. It should be considered over the Honda.
You wouldn't happen to live on a farm and have conduct projects in your garage testing engine oils? JK

What concessions did Honda make to lessen the cost of their mowers?

I didn't even consider a Toro when I was mower shopping years ago just because I was sold on Honda reliability and that many other mower companies are just using lower quality copies of Honda engines. I'll keep the Toro Super Recycler in mind for anyone who asks.

+1

I have a Toro super recycler with Honda GCV160 and it's an excellent mower. I fix mowers as a side business so I've used them all, but this is by far my favorite. Tough, lightweight, Honda reliability, effortless self propel, and great mulching.

As for the brush cutter, I would avoid anything 4-stroke. For hand held equipment, I always recommend electric for light homeowner use or 2-stroke for something where more power is needed. Yes, mixing fuel is a pain but I find the 2-stroke equipment is much lighter (less fatigue), more durable over the long term, and less likely to have problems from being run at different angles. Husqvarna or Echo would be your best bet here.

I take reviews on these kinds of tools with a grain of salt, because often people don't know how to properly operate them. I watched a guy with a pole saw basically press down on it so hard he was bending the pole and was stopping the chain, yet he wondered why it wasn't cutting.

As for a brush cutter, I'd recommend a Stihl FS 56-C with the handle bar option. Add the solid brush cutter blade, and you can handle most any chore. I use it to take care of brush on a steep hill.

1645570293583.jpg

I'm not sure y'all have noticed, but the OP is in Australia. The closest US equivalent to the mower he mentions is the Commercial line.

1645572428873.jpg

That is not an at all common mower to even the top of the line consumer mowers here.

The US ones would be:

OP, I think they do sell Honda trimmers brush-cutters here now, but they aren't common, i don't think ive ever actually seen one in person.

I do agree with Stihl (Kombi Motor Specifically) but would avoid anything with a -C or "Easy2Start" if I had it to do over.

I prefer Echo vs. Stihl for easier starting. For a homeowner, just go to HD and buy some 2 stroke pre mix.

Much as I'm not into Honda anything, I went for the HRX217VKA. Got it summer 2021 and had to wait like 6 weeks. Sorta glad I did as it was $629 at the time. It really does mulch grass that stalled my "6.5 HP" 2001 Craftsman. Is it worth the price, not really, but I'm thinking it will last the rest of my life.

Much as I'm not into Honda anything, I went for the HRX217VKA. Got it summer 2021 and had to wait like 6 weeks. Sorta glad I did as it was $629 at the time. It really does mulch grass that stalled my "6.5 HP" 2001 Craftsman. Is it worth the price, not really, but I'm thinking it will last the rest of my life.

Why did you pull this old thread out of the basement?

Back