Recommend me a good flashlight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I joined the candle power forum and decided to get the Nitecore MT2A . I receive it Saturday and hopefully have good luck with it. Anyone have any nitecore products?

I joined the candle power forum and decided to get the Nitecore MT2A . I receive it Saturday and hopefully have good luck with it. Anyone have any nitecore products?

Nitecore makes quality products, but you pay for it.

One of these days when I get rich, I'll buy myself a Nitecore flashlight.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Nitecore makes quality products, but you pay for it.

One of these days when I get rich, I'll buy myself a Nitecore flashlight.
smile.gif

It was only $40 I mean expensive for a flashlight kind of but if it's good quality it's with it to me.

Yup. For $40 you could have bought a Convoy S2+ and an 18650 battery and a charger, and probably still have money left over, and would get 3x the lumen output of this MT2A.

and most likely would last at least same amount of years. But a Nitocore looks sexier than a Convoy.

but this is true for Toyota Corolla and Lexus IS250; they both get the long term reliable sub-compact transportation job done. You don't tell the Lexus buyer that he should have bought Corolla.

Agreed, but in this case, the Corolla is 3 times "faster."
smile.gif

After all, the OP wanted something "very bright."

Anyway, congrats on the Nitecore. It's a nice light.

i have modded plenty of those.
NONE have had a real cree xm-l family led in them.
some have an xr-e and those are decent.about 200lumen with a hot off the charger 18650(is there any other way to go?)with a tailwind.
NOT 2000 or what other nonsense published wherever you bought it.
most have a hideous purple latticebright clone led.
and that garbage 3aaa holder gets tossed in the trash.its a waste of raw materials and aaa cells are lousy for the load this light presents even stock.
its most likely what died when these get dropped.
i have 2 in use with an xml-2,sanyo 20700b,and the current limiting resistors bridged.
at 3a to the led it can give an honest 1000 lumens minus optics loss.
i add heatsink compound to the mcpcb where it meets the threaded slug and to the threads/id of ring as well as where it slides inside the body.
this allows it to hang on for dear life thermally.
these are good only if bought for $2 shipped and you like to tinker.
Originally Posted By: Dyusik
I payed about 4 bucks a piece for T6 Cree chipped flashlights from China on eBay. The ones with a green band for focus of the beam. Price to power ratio is unbeatable. A cheap poor Chinese battery runs 2+ hours, haven't found a better deal yet.

Last edited:
AAA alkaline batteries have horrible capacity and brightness tails off quickly in most lights. I recommend AA alkaline light; look at Fenix and Jetbeam. Fenix LD20 or the New LD22 are good, you got different brightness levels so you're not blinded by 300 lumens while inspecting something up close. The ld20 is 180 lumens with 220 on turbo I believe. Probably more practical for shop work. You get up there around 300 lumens it can be too bright. Zebra Light is pretty ultimate; they have an awesome switches that doesn't wear out light conventional click switches. Fenix, good for the money. Zebra Light, is in a higher League. Jetbeam is Good.

If Compact size is of importance, look no further than Fenix LD02; a one-cell AA light. $25-30. These lights use AR Coated glass lenses. You definitely don't want a plastic lens if you will carry in pocket.

Originally Posted By: SquirrelMan
If Compact size is of importance, look no further than Fenix LD02; a one-cell AA light. $25-30. These lights use AR Coated glass lenses. You definitely don't want a plastic lens if you will carry in pocket.

Just asking, why not plastic?

My perscription glasses are plastic!

Originally Posted By: ram_man
I joined the candle power forum and decided to get the Nitecore MT2A. I receive it Saturday and hopefully have good luck with it. Anyone have any nitecore products?

That don't look too bad. I'm very surprised you were able to come up with it.

Originally Posted By: SquirrelMan

Jetbeam jet1 mk also has AR glass. It has a useful moonlight mode, and can also run on li-ion 14500 in addition to regular AA, if you need much higher output. It's less than $15.

Also, the LD02 you mentioned is actually an AAA light, not AA.

Oops, I made a mistake with a model number as pointed out above. I would not recommend a AAA flashlight as capacity is not sufficient enough especially if you like to run it for 5 10 and 15 minutes at a time.

The one cell Fenix I meant to recommend is the LD09. My apologies.

As for the question about the plastic lens. I work in a skilled trade of die repair; the company issues us Streamlight task lights. They are metal in do not take a drop very well. Even worse than that the lenses are plastic and they get so scratched up that the brightness is reduced drastically after they are used and abused. I love an AR Glass lens.

Streamlight does make some nice products and the polypro is one of them. You want to talk about drop test. Poly pro is tough. I am a bit of a flashlight freak. I have a polypro still brand new I bought three of them two years ago. I also found a Rayovac indestructible 30 ft Drop Test 300 Lumen two cell AA flashlights at Walmart on clearance for $12 but it was around Christmas time it's still brand new in the package I kind of just collect lights and save them back. I love flashlights I've done a good job at refraining from buying too many lately but boy it's not that hard to tempt me.

I have a TK45 "mini gun" I bought when they first came out it has the R5 XML I believe in minigun style three-headed assembly. That sucker's just like having car headlights in your hand.

I very much appreciate a light that can run off lithium ion 18650's as well as the other sizes. I have a Jetbeam BC25. 600 lumens and rotate the head 1/4 turn in your down to 100 lumens. I can't buy cheap Chinese lithium ion batteries either I have to have the Japanese 3400 milliamp. I'm just particular about quality. Last but definitely not least I have a little zebralight I gave $100 for it's 1000 lumens. Cool white 18650 Batts. But it doesn't like the 3400mah they're too long you got to put Panasonic 3100mah in it and they are perfect.

I've never owned a nitecore flashlight but I have one of their fancy versatile battery chargers and it is sweet. To tell you the truth my jetbeam looks like it's made by the same facility that makes Fenix, except it has nicer o rings. I wouldn't be surprised if one Chinese facility is manufacturing about 6 or 8 different brands.

The fact is there are so many flashlights on the market and I'm sure many of them are satisfactory. and I bet you there's a few enthusiasts out there that have almost all of them. Candlepowerforums is the place to go indeed. You'll learn a lot about batteries on there too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back