Please recommend a good cable lug crimper

I'm looking for a crimper that can accept up to 1/0 or maybe even 00 but I feel 1/0 will be the largest I will need.

I've been over too many brands and the reviews all seem to blend together. Mainly poor crimps, not enough crimp pressure, ugly crimps etc.

I don't think I need a hydraulic crimper but if those are the ones to get then I will. I figured a 2-handle crimper with rotating dies would be the ticket but I can't find one that has high consensus.

Budget....I guess $100 and under, unless there's one that gets the glowing Griswold Xmas tree illumination light from the heavens....:) This is pretty much becoming a "buy once, cry once" purchase......within reason.

Thanks.

I've used both the hammer style crimper like this:

and most recently the cable-cutter style crimper like this:

Both have done well for me. the cable cutter style will definitely pinch the lug in a very unaesthetic way if you're using too big of a lug/too small of a wire, but it works well either way.

I've used both the hammer style crimper like this:

I have one like that at work. Takes a couple of hits but seems to work.

I shopped around a lot and finally settled on the IWiss HX-50BI combo set, as I have had good luck with IWiss barrel crimpers.

I crimped a few battery cables for motorcycles and cars with it, and it's doing fine. Sometimes I have to do it twice, but I think the crimper has to be very closely matched with the same brand of terminals, and a quality cable with full width of copper inside to avoid this.

I only crimp a dozen or so cables a year, for this use I think it's fine.

Reactions: D60
I have an Ancor 8 - 1/0 AWG lug crimper with rotating hex dies. I have nothing to compare it with, but I think it makes decent crimps.

Personally, I wouldn't buy a hammer crimper because I have terrible aim with a hammer. I think someone makes these that you can use with a vise.

Good reference material usually comes from marine-centric references.

I grabbed some cheap totally generic hydraulic crimper. Did a great job.

You can see what I did here with terminals on a 440k+ mile Dodge Ram CTD:

And I have some good pics of what the crimps look like.

Thank you for all the replies. Safe bet the ones mentioned would suit my needs but I decided to reach out to Santa and cover almost all my requirements.

I went with a Temco TH0005 and bought it from Temco, this way I know I had the most recent version as they keep up with improvements. I don't like to use Amazon if I don't have to, also, it was cheaper direct from Temco.

Web pics don't do it justice, this is definitely a well-built tool.

20221220_174840.jpg

I grabbed some cheap totally generic hydraulic crimper. Did a great job.

You can see what I did here with terminals on a 440k+ mile Dodge Ram CTD:

And I have some good pics of what the crimps look like.

Good read. I also have the same cheap yellow crimper @Trav shows and I came to the same conclusion: the markings, like resistance to The Borg, are irrelevant. Find one that works and run with it.

Back