Recommend Me A Bike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Mackelroy

As far as sustained interstate, I agree 400 cc is about the minimum, if only looking for 75 mph sustained, true a 250 cc can do that but its a whole lot more stressed. On the Interstate to be compettitive, need to be able to sustain 80 mph with blasts post 100mph.

Not all 400s are created equal.

The Honda CB-1, Suzuki GSF400, and Yamaha FZR 400 are very different at freeway speeds than a Honda Hawk 450, Suzuki GS400E, or Yamaha XS400 Seca.

I had no problem passing EX500s and VF500F Interceptors in spite of their small torque advantages. I can't speak for the FZR but the CB-1 and GSF400 got different transmission ratios than the CBR400RR and GSX-R400 they were derived from. They could accelerate from a standing start very well and cruise at freeway speed as well as any 500.

If I recall correctly, the CB-1 actually performed identical to the Hawk GT 647 (which is another awesome bike that many believe is "underpowered".)

I don't know why good 400s never sold well here.
21.gif
Kawasaki sold a boatload of KZ/LTD 440s. Seems like about the time the LTD 454 came out, Americans stopped buying 400 (450) motorcycles. Maybe the price was too close to the 600s?

Dang, I just love to spend other people's money lol. I would get a Sportster. Lots of customizing possibilities and you can buy them all day long for around 4K. Didn't have time to read all the posts, but the ones I read were pretty good. Just have to decide what's right for you.

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
How tall are you?

6'8

OP,

I'd go with a nice Honda 1200 cruiser. I think it's called a VTX and is pretty sharp. My neighbor bought a new one and it was his first bike. That way your not trading up every few years. Go big or stay home buddy. He got it from this place:

http://www.state8.com/

I think you're thinking of the 1300 VTX...it's a very nice bike, but no longer produced. However, a used one would be pretty easy to find, and they're built with the usual Honda quality, so they are very reliable and should last many years. The 1800 VTX is also a nice cruiser, also no longer produced, but also easy to find used...

They still make what is essentially the VTX1300, just renamed it the "1300 Custom" line when they went to fuel injection. Indeed the 1300CC Honda mill is a very good one. Very customizable, reliable, and has a very good sound to it with the right exhaust.

Lancer, what interests YOU? What riding position? Feet back on a sport bike? Feet under you on a standard or adventure touring bike? Gyno exam position on a cruiser?

What is the condition of the roads you'll ride?

The sport bikes are not fast on bad roads. The adventure touring bikes are good on bad roads, and you'll have to lower them--no problem (Suzuki DL650 V-Strom). The standard melding with sport like the SV or Versys are good choices.

I'm not a Harley nor any cruiser guy. I don't see them ridden "quick and fun" or "smooth and comfortable to ride, quick/snappy performance." I've been wrong before (just ask my wife), but ride before you buy.

As mentioned above, engine size is not a good determinant of performance. A 650 cruiser (slow) is nothing like a 650 V-Strom (pretty quick) or SV650 (even quicker), and nothing like a 600 sport bike (really quick).

MSF training is good. More advanced training is better. MSF is not a good way to pick a bike for you, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back