Recommend Me A Bike

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking to get some recommendations on what bike would best suit me. Please let me know your reasoning behind your suggestion.

Background:

I'm 23 and have been riding dirt bikes and ATV's since I was 6 years old. The quickest bikes I have ridden were 250 2 strokes and 450 4 strokes. Both were plenty fast for me. I am confident in my riding abilities and my main concern is other drivers. I have a good sense of awareness and am a "smart" rider.

What I'm looking for:

I'm looking for a street bike. Something I can cruise around on country roads in rural areas. I will not be taking the bike to the track and plan to avoid stop and go city riding as much as possible. Although I'm young, I have no interest in pretending I'm racing in the AMA Superbike Championship while on the road. I will not be weaving in and out of traffic, passing people on the shoulder, and dragging my knees around turns.

That being said, I would like something quick and fun. I do not care if the bike can top out 200+ MPH because I will never, ever come close to reaching that top speed. I do not need the fastest, most powerful bike on the street. I would like something that is smooth and comfortable to ride, quick/snappy performance without being too feisty to handle, decent fuel economy, relatively cheap to insure, doesn't require constant maintenance, and is well built and feels solid.

I will be only looking at used bikes with a budget of around $4,000. Under budget is better since I will need to purchase insurance and a quality helmet/riding gear.

I have been looking at super-sport bikes, to sport bikes, to cruisers, to bobbers. I'm all over the map and open to any suggestions as long as they fit my criteria.

Thanks for the input
smile.gif

How tall are you?

If you want a comfortable upright riding position, I would also look at adventure style bikes... Kawi Versys 650, Triumph Tiger 800, BMW F800GS. The only thing is most of them have a fairly high seat, so you can't bee too short. They're basically upright street bikes, but with longer suspension travel and with the right set of tires can handle some gravel/offroad stuff as well.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
How tall are you?

6'8

OP,

I'd go with a nice Honda 1200 cruiser. I think it's called a VTX and is pretty sharp. My neighbor bought a new one and it was his first bike. That way your not trading up every few years. Go big or stay home buddy. He got it from this place:

http://www.state8.com/

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
How tall are you?

If you want a comfortable upright riding position, I would also look at adventure style bikes... Kawi Versys 650, Triumph Tiger 800, BMW F800GS. The only thing is most of them have a fairly high seat, so you can't bee too short. They're basically upright street bikes, but with longer suspension travel and with the right set of tires can handle some gravel/offroad stuff as well.

I'm 5'9"

I'm more looking at a 100% on road bike at this time. I still have a few off road toys to hold me over for a while there haha.

Definitely a sport touring type bike, as any super sport style bike will have many downsides for what you want. I am really fond of the Yamaha FZ6R. They handle very nice and feel light, an upright riding position, very smooth and fluid power band compared to the R6 the engine is based off.

Used sport bike?

Honda CBR600 F3+ (F4, F4i)
Suzuki GSX-R 750+

Just my opinion of sweet looking bikes. Only ridden/owned a Honda, and it was a blast and a half.

Even though the 250 and/or 450 bikes are fast offroad they are not on pavement. A 250 is the smallest displacement I would even consider on an interstate. So keep that in mind.

The Ninja 500 or EX 500 is a common beginner bike that will be easy to find used and cheap. A little more power than the GS500 (IIRC something like 54 to 40 or so). Easy to sell too. I bought mine, put 8000 miles on it and sold it for 300 bucks less five years later, FWIW.

Edit, keep in mind most 600 4-cyls put out 90-125hp, a lot more than the smaller bikes I'd recommend.

Last edited:
Kawi: Z750, Z1000, Ninja 650, Versys 650
Suzuki: Bandit 650, GSX-F650 (same bike with full fairing), V-Strom 650, SV650 (naked version)
Yamaha: FZ6, YZF600, first Gen FZ1
Honda: CBR600F4i

Any of the above have real-world riding positions that will keep you comfortable for many hours in the saddle. Armed with soft bags and a tank bag, any of these can take you on multi-day rides without having to book time with a chiropractor. If you go much sportier or "choppier", the practical aspect will suffer. Up to you to decide what use you will really make of your new steed, then pick accordingly.....

Honda Rebel 250
Change the sprockets for more speed, less power...

Originals are 14 tooth front / 33 tooth rear.

Larger front, and / or smaller rear, lower RPM's

15 tooth front,
31 / 30 / 27 rear

I love the 450 version of this bike, but it was only made two years, around 1988, and parts can be a pain...

I would personally avoid a 250cc engine if you want to do hwy riding. Sure, it'll reach and maintain hwy speed no problem, but when you twist the gas grip at 70 mph to get out of someone's way, very little will happen. However, as far as 250 engines go, Yamaha (Star) Virago is pretty peppy, alas, it's a small bike, if that matters.

If he's ridden 250 two-strokes and 450 four-strokes, chances are he's ridden competition-class bikes (both being MX1 displacements) so I would venture to guess he would quickly get bored with anything under 500cc (even 650), or something with a lazy power delivery (I would anyhow).......

Originally Posted By: Mik
If he's ridden 250 two-strokes and 450 four-strokes, chances are he's ridden competition-class bikes (both being MX1 displacements) so I would venture to guess he would quickly get bored with anything under 500cc (even 650), or something with a lazy power delivery (I would anyhow).......

That's what I was thinking/told by a few other riders. I've thought about getting a 500/650 to start off on for a year, get used to it, then step up to an inline 4 bike.

But at this point, I'm still evaluating my options.

Last edited:
You can get a Harley 1200 or 883 Sporster if you like Harley.

The Vulcan 500 and V Star 650 are good cruisers in your price range as well.

If you can afford a little more, A triumph Bonneville, America, or Speedmaster would be a great bike. I love how smooth mine is, and its different, and a joy to ride.

If you want something more sporty, a Suzuki Bandit 1200 would be a great one to look at.

Last edited:
The best bang for your buck is to find a Yamaha SECA II.
It has an air-cooled 600 and is not a sub 11 second 1/4 mile super-sport 600 that will get you in trouble. You sit more upright on this Yamaha. I live in Ohio and have seen good used ones for $2K. Geico sells motorcycle only liability only very cheap, even if you don't insure a car with them. Full coverage at your age may be too expensive. I remember State Farm wanting $600 a year for full coverage when I was your age for a KLR650 vs $ 125 for liability.

2s0xqh4.jpg

My son had a Suzuki SV650 a few years ago and that thing was just FUN to ride. A very reliable liquid-cooled v-twin, with lots of low end torque, so it accelerated well. It didn't cost much, was good on gas and was cheap to insure. It was also very nice looking. I'd recommend that for someone your age--you'll have a good time on it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back