Recommend an oil for suzuki jimny

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently bought a 2012 Suzuki Jimny with 1328cc VVT engine and would like some oil recommendations for ultimate engine longevity.
Suzuki recommend 0w20 for best fuel economy but 5w30 and 10w40 are also acceptable.
I am far more interested in maximum protection than fuel economy.
I live in the uk so no climate extremes.

Thanks
Colin

@OP: whatever is readily available in your country.

@randomhero: the poster is in UK, not in US of A, so some of the listed oil may not be available @ a reasonable cost to OP.

Q.

Originally Posted By: randomhero439
http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=109&pcid=13

Motorcycle oil with 2500 PPM Zinc like the Redline Motorcycle oil in this link is a bad idea for a new vehicle, as high Zinc will kill the cat.

Redline does make outstanding oil, and I am sure there are several that they make that would be very good for that Suzuki, but stay away from any with that high of a Zinc load.

Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
Motorcycle oil with 2500 PPM Zinc like the Redline Motorcycle oil in this link is a bad idea for a new vehicle, as high Zinc will kill the cat.

2500 ppm zinc will kill more than the cat. I'd stay far away from such an oil for anything except a race application.

While we here on BITOG can agree that the suggested motorcycle oil is not appropriated for this application, we have not yet given any suggestions answering the OP original question.

So does anyone know what the good choices of oils would be for this application keeping in mind that the oils suggested should be available in the UK?

Is Rotella T6, and T5 available in the UK? Because if it is, that would be a good oil for that Suzuki. Though Rotella does not make a 0W-20 and 0W-20 would most likely be the best choice for getting the best gas millage.

I can get most (all? ) Amsoil oils inc 0w20 0w30 and 5w30 also motul 8100 0w20, Castrol Edge 0w-30 and shell Helix Ultra 0w-30 and loads more besides. I`m guessing all of them would do a fine job but I`m trying to find the very best for my application.
Would a 0w30 or 5w30 give better protection than the 0w20 albeit at the expense of higher fuel consumption?
Some people have advocated using diesel oils in petrol engines for their beefier additive packages - would the amsoil 5w30 3000 series diesel oil be a good choice?

Thanks
Colin

Colin

We have a 2007 Jimny VVT,

Suzuki UK recommend 5W/30.

One of the best and easily available in the UK is Castrol Edge 5W/30. I use the Magnatec version of it when I service our car.

Due to the small number of cars sold most of the oil finder sites including Castrol assume you still have the pre 2000 G16 engine and specify 10W/40.

If you want the best you would have to buy a series of Jimny's run them on different premium oils then do UOA's on them all over say 10 years.

I would just buy a premium brand and toss a coin on 0W or 5W.

eddie

Thenks all,
I think I`ll just choose a good fully synthetic 0w30 or 5w30 and no doubt it will be fine.

colin

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back