Recommend a 7 passenger w/10,000 tow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thinking outside the box, what about an RV or one of those short little 1 ton airport busses? You'd get dual wheels and a very healthy axle ratio out of the deal.

12 or 15 passenger Chevy Express or GMC Savana 3500, a newer one with the 4 wheel disc brakes, 6.0 gas (or Duramax if you can find one), and either 4L80E or newer 6L80/6L90E. Exactly what I'm looking for to replace the GMC in my sig, and a decent non-rusty or -trashed one is harder to find & more expensive than you would think, unless you want to spend $20K+ on one!

Originally Posted by dippschtick
2008 or newer Toyota Sequoia (with 5.7 and 6 speed) has a 7,400 lb towing capacity (2WD) and 7,100 lb (4WD).

Not quite 10,000 but bulletproof drivetrain.

More bulletproof than a 6.0L/6L90E/14 Bolt? I know people love their Toyotas.....But they cannot compete in this particular segment, HeIl GM & Ford pulled out of the 3/4 ton SUV game.

Originally Posted by 379KITTY
I would personally avoid an Excursion with the 6.0 diesel.

It's that perception that can make the 6.0L diesel a good buy, I have stated this several times on this forum......The 6.0L PS is, At it's core a really good engine & can be fixed/modified to go toe to toe with any offering at the time.

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
12 or 15 passenger Chevy Express or GMC Savana 3500

We have a few of these with the Duramax.

I can't speak to the long term reliability, but they are strong and they fit your requirements.

All the hutterites around these parts run 15 passenger Chevy Express or GMC Savana 3500 with the Duramax and they do everything with them and tow large trailers no problem.

Originally Posted by clinebarger
Originally Posted by dippschtick
2008 or newer Toyota Sequoia (with 5.7 and 6 speed) has a 7,400 lb towing capacity (2WD) and 7,100 lb (4WD).

Not quite 10,000 but bulletproof drivetrain.

More bulletproof than a 6.0L/6L90E/14 Bolt? I know people love their Toyotas.....But they cannot compete in this particular segment, HeIl GM & Ford pulled out of the 3/4 ton SUV game.

Originally Posted by 379KITTY
I would personally avoid an Excursion with the 6.0 diesel.

It's that perception that can make the 6.0L diesel a good buy, I have stated this several times on this forum......The 6.0L PS is, At it's core a really good engine & can be fixed/modified to go toe to toe with any offering at the time.

It isn't more bulletproof it is actually comparable to the reliability of the GM V8's and transmission. But it doesn't reach the towing desires of the OP.

Originally Posted by Smokescreen
All the hutterites around these parts run 15 passenger Chevy Express or GMC Savana 3500 with the Duramax and they do everything with them and tow large trailers no problem.

I agree this would be a good fit especially if the vehicle is used for long trips.

Originally Posted by eljefino
Thinking outside the box, what about an RV or one of those short little 1 ton airport busses? You'd get dual wheels and a very healthy axle ratio out of the deal.

Ho Ho Ho

BABFA30A-7961-47C4-B14A-4469CC6057AA.jpeg

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot

Ho Ho Ho

I've never seen one of those with that style of bumper or all terrains, but for some odd reason I'm really liking it!

OP-

He is going to need to consider payload with 7 passengers. I doubt anything but an F350 ( or similar) will keep the numbers below maximum. He will be over payload with a 1500 Suburban-most likely when towing.

But a crew cab won't seat 7.

Look at the full size Vans-but check the payload numbers. The payload number will be on the yellow and white sticker-underneath the tire sizes in the driver's door jam.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Skippy722
Originally Posted by Snagglefoot

Ho Ho Ho

I've never seen one of those with that style of bumper or all terrains, but for some odd reason I'm really liking it!

That is a 4x4 conversion.

Originally Posted by CKN
OP-

He is going to need to consider payload with 7 passengers. I doubt anything but an F350 ( or similar) will keep the numbers below maximum. He will be over payload with a 1500 Suburban-most likely when towing.

Look at the full size Vans-but check the payload numbers. The payload number will be on the yellow and white sticker-underneath the tire sizes in the driver's door jam.

This is what people don't seem to understand. A 3/4 ton Suburban or an Excursion will carry 7 people OR pull a heavy trailer, but it won't have the payload capacity to carry a full load of passengers AND pull a heavy trailer. Towing capacities are figured with no passengers or cargo in the tow vehicle. They have the capacity to do one or the other, but not both at the same time.

Originally Posted by KD0AXS
Originally Posted by CKN
OP-

This is what people don't seem to understand. A 3/4 ton Suburban or an Excursion will carry 7 people OR pull a heavy trailer, but it won't have the payload capacity to carry a full load of passengers AND pull a heavy trailer. Towing capacities are figured with no passengers or cargo in the tow vehicle. They have the capacity to do one or the other, but not both at the same time.

Exactly-people who make recommendations that don't tow regularly don't understand the payload factor and how that figures in to the towing equation.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CKN
OP-

2012/2013 Suburban 2500 has 2450 lb payload and 9600 tow cap. 7 passengers at 175lb each and a 7000 lb trailer's tongue weight = 1925 lb. Weight to spare for cargo or obesity. A nice one for sale in chicago:
https://chicagomotors.com/154522/2012-Chevrolet-Suburban-LS-2500-4WD

As long as they don't hit the GCVWR, it should work.

Originally Posted by dareo
Originally Posted by CKN
OP-

2012/2013 Suburban 2500 has 2450 lb payload and 9600 tow cap. 7 passengers at 175lb each and a 7000 lb trailer's tongue weight = 1925 lb. Weight to spare for cargo or obesity. A nice one for sale in chicago:
https://chicagomotors.com/154522/2012-Chevrolet-Suburban-LS-2500-4WD

As long as they don't hit the GCVWR, it should work.

In think it will be over 2,000 pounds (about 2065) IMHO. It's barely enough-and won't win any speed races fully loaded and towing a 7,000 pound trailer. If he stays in Texas or heads towards the mid-west, no issues. If he goes towards the West-he will be crawling up the passes, even with the larger motor.

Last edited:
Yes, it would be slow and drink a lot of fuel, but 7 people and a big trailer is asking a lot. Go slow and fill up a lot in a 2500 suburban is about the only way unless you can find the unicorn duramax passenger van.

This is a job for a Suburban/Tahoe or Expedition. And even so, fully loaded you're gonna be pushing it with a trailer fully loaded up to GVWR. What will the friend be towing - a travel trailer/toy hauler or a boat?

Chevy states a 2WD Suburban with the Max Trailering package (which I assume includes HD suspension, LT-metric tires, trans/oil coolers and different axle ratio) can tow up to 8300lb, Ford claims the Expy can tow up to 9300lb with the HD Towing package.

That's only to move your truck and trailer forward. What's more important is the ability to stop and carry that weight safely. 1/2-ton class trucks/SUVs don't have the same base braking as a 1-ton class truck. Between driving a ex-friend's Tahoe 1500 with vacuum-assist brakes and a U-Haul box van with hydroboost brakes, despite the apples to oranges comparison is a night and day difference. The Tahoe's brakes didn't inspire confidence. Tires are important too - many 1/2-ton class trucks and SUVs come with P-metric tires. I'd spec nothing less than a LT-metric tire. Even a Chinese one like a Milestar or Sailun will be worlds better than a name-brand P-metric when you start adding on weight.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dareo
Yes, it would be slow and drink a lot of fuel, but 7 people and a big trailer is asking a lot. Go slow and fill up a lot in a 2500 suburban is about the only way unless you can find the unicorn duramax passenger van.

Pablum. Any HD van can do this-a V10 E350 would probably be the best, though quite thirsty when not towing.

Sure a gas van could do it but i'd rather have the 4x4 2500 suburban for 4x4. Duramax Van fuel economy would be so good that it would be worth being stuck in a van chassis instead of a nice suburban 4x4. There's also a companies selling Nissan NV 4x4 converted vans if that counts. I guess they can do all Nissan OEM parts to set it up. 50-70k+ for a new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back