Recently Purchased a 2018 VW GTI

And the Cayenne V8 wasn't known for bore score until fairly recently. I'm just saying sometimes it takes a decade and 100k miles for stuff to rear its head.

High mileage VRs come to mind. Even the timing belt 4.2 have cam chain issues as they age.
I don't really worry about 100K/10 years, at that point, all bets for any car (okay....Camry) are off and "who cares".

Oh man that car can be so **** fun on E30 ;).

I would assume it would need tuned for it right? As far as I can tell looking they aren't flex fuel capable to start with. VW's numbers says the 220hp is on 91 and loses around 10hp on 87.

5K on a 502 xw40 or 504 xw30 will serve it well. Drive it hard and those deposits won't be an issue. I've seen (including my own) so many valve cleaning pics of the MK7s and deposits don't seem to be an issue on these thar ate routinely driven hard. Tune that thing!

I do have a couple of jugs of M1 0w40 sitting around. Wasn't sure if I was best to use that on it or get the Castrol 5w40. I know the M1 seems to be more prone to shear which may not be great in a turbo engine, but considering how cold our winters get here a 0w40 probably wouldn't be a bad choice. I have used M1 0w40 in many vehicles over the years, typically cars that called for 5w30 in hotter climates(LS1 GTO and 4.2 Jaguar). I was even running it in my F150 that called for 5w20. The Edge gets it too. I should have asked the dealer what they changed it with, but prior to me every service the car has seen has been at the VW dealer.

I would assume it would need tuned for it right? As far as I can tell looking they aren't flex fuel capable to start with. VW's numbers says the 220hp is on 91 and loses around 10hp on 87.
Yes, to take full advantage of the EtOH, it must be tuned (eliminating fuel rail pressure drop is key). Mine was FBO (full bolt on) with OE IS20 turbo on Stg 2 EQT OTS E30 tune. The ethanol would spool that turbo so fast and never had issues with it. Just add about 3 gallons E85 and make sure the Fuel-it! was reading E30. Motor on, Reliable 350+HP.

And if you have some M1 0W-40, run it! Again, no more than 5K or 1 year should be fine. And drive the wheels off of it :).

I just picked up a low miles 2018 GTI Autobahn. I previously had a 2017 F150 I bought new and between gas prices and wanting a more fun car(I'm a car guy that didn't have a car guy car, fixed that). I've only had the GTI for a week now, but wondered if there's any concern with running the recommended 1 year 10k mile OCI? I doubt it would be a concern for me because a year of driving is usually closer to 7-8k anyway. I figure either 0w30 or 0w40 are my best choice with climate here (Wisconsin) with respect to winter and fitting VW 502. Leaning toward 0w40 since the GTI is a turbo car and likely to see more heat and occasional heavy foot of course.

Am I missing anything here?
My MK7 GTI ran on 30% ethanol at 32 psi with a larger turbo so I did 3k intervals on 0w-40 Mobil most of the time. A bone stock Mk7 I'd run 5-7k intervals but a 6 month change min.

My MK7 GTI ran on 30% ethanol at 32 psi with a larger turbo so I did 3k intervals on 0w-40 Mobil most of the time. A bone stock Mk7 I'd run 5-7k intervals but a 6 month change min.
5-7k has been my comfort zone mileage wise on all my cars for awhile so it's no real change for me at least then. I do plan to do some mods but I don't think I'll go too deep. So far the only thing I've done is remove that stupid Soundaktor. I can't understand why VW put that stupid fake engine sound generator on these cars. It's loud enough to mask most of the sound of the turbo and creates a simulated drone even on the highway.

Not a VW guy but 5000miles is good for T-GDI engine.
I wouldn't cringe if you were "late" and hit 6000 or 6500.. but no way would I go near 10k or even over 7k if possible.

5-7k has been my comfort zone mileage wise on all my cars for awhile so it's no real change for me at least then. I do plan to do some mods but I don't think I'll go too deep. So far the only thing I've done is remove that stupid Soundaktor. I can't understand why VW put that stupid fake engine sound generator on these cars. It's loud enough to mask most of the sound of the turbo and creates a simulated drone even on the highway.
Haha! yep. I just unplugged and zip tied the plug so it would not rattle.

I dislike the white noise generator err active acoustic canceling.. on my jeep.

sounds like bad static am radio I'd rather hear the turbo 4 banger squeal.
only the 2.0T has it..

Haha! yep. I just unplugged and zip tied the plug so it would not rattle.
That thing is suprisingly heavy for what it is. I figured since I completely removed the cowl that I might as well just unbolt it and take it out.

Do not go more than 5K miles or 1 year in an EA888.3 engine. Just don't.

Run anything VW 502, it doesn't matter. You can get as creative as you want but most people are just buying the jug of Castrol Edge at walmart. Proven low wear and keeps the engine spotless. With 5K changes it doesn't make sense to dump more money into a drain pan.

Run a PEA based fuel injector cleaner at least once every 15k miles. These injectors are known to kill the EA888.3 if they are neglected.
Redline SP1 is amazing stuff

5k (miles) seems to be the consensus. Makes you wonder why VW recommends 10k?
B/c test after test will show that in "normal" conditions, an approved oil will go to 10K with adequate TBN at the end but will likely be in the 30W range (for 40s). I ran my '00 Jetta on 10K changes for years and that car was still bee-boppin' along at 300K with the person I sold it to.

Consensus amongst whom? Based on what? A handful of internet forum users based on gut feel and what grandpappy did?
No; based on fuel dilution backed by many many UOAs.

I ended up changing it at 6800 due to laziness, but in my defense 90% of that due to work was all highway driving anywhere between 2-4 hours at a time. I think that might have been bad. That was the worst smelling black oil I've ever drained from a car. I figured with the heater valve and heater core issue I had was causing problems with maintaining proper engine temps and made it worse. I'll definitely stick to 5k going forward.

Back