Recent gas price increase. On Tuesday it went up 32¢. Has yours

Hermann

Site Donor 2023
Went up 32¢ overnight. 2.37 to 2.69 almost a 12% increase. Luckily Costco still had 87 e10 for 2.39 while on a shopping trip to Independence MO.

The increase is already started cracking at some stations. Some never went up

Getting crazier every day.

$2.37/gal seems artificially low, there may have been some sort of pricing battle going on between station. Cause gasoline (RBOB) is currently trading for $2.14/gal as I'm writing this. So that $2.37, the gas station was probably losing money on it once you account for taxes, transportation, and station costs.

I haven't really paid attention. It's been about 4 days since I filled up and unless the number shocks me for some reason it hasn't stuck out to me. I want to say I paid $3.59 for 91 octane ethanol free the last time. I always have trouble keeping track of the base 87 fuel costs since I've never run regular in this car and now I can't with the tune.

I was much more in tune with it when I still drove a vehicle that I could run regular in, especially since it rarely bested 20mpg.

I paid C$1.389/l a few days ago.

Approximate head math - about $4/US gallon in USD.

It's come way down here over the past several weeks.

(Edit: Using the actual exchange rate and a calculator, it works out to US$3.94/US gallon.)

Reactions: JC1
$2.37/gal seems artificially low, there may have been some sort of pricing battle going on between station. Cause gasoline (RBOB) is currently trading for $2.14/gal as I'm writing this. So that $2.37, the gas station was probably losing money on it once you account for taxes, transportation, and station costs.
Before the increase every station was 2.37 except Sams, Costco and Murphy's. I think there is a glut of gasoline in the Gulf terminal refineries. A lot of it gets dumped in the Kansas City market because of the Phillips 66 dominance in this area. Quick Trip is contracted with Phillip 66. My guess is that they sell 60% of the fuel in my market. When summer blend was liquidated about 6 weeks ago the retail price was lower than Gulf Coast wholesale prices. Lasted about 3 days.

Prices have been dropping here, down to $2.37/gallon (SW Ohio) and I kept wondering what was going on. Then on the way home, the silly Shell station nearby was $2.99 while Speedway across the corner was still $2.40. This Shell station always lags with price-matching too.... Thorntons, Kroger, Murphy, and 2 more Speedways were still $2.40 with a Sunoco in the middle also $2.99. I kept thinking something's fishy 😁 Two more small-town stations on the way were also $2.99. I even texted my wife

What gas prices are you seeing? A few stations are 299 but most are still 240 so I wonder if it’s going to jump up.

She was seeing the same thing. Sure enough, this morning, they'd all jumped up $0.60/gallon ! Well, except Kroger - I filled up there ! Their posted price was $2.42 but we had $0.30 of in fuel points, plus my car uses premium. I think it was $3.12 as premium is typically $1 higher than regular here.

Before the increase every station was 2.37 except Sams, Costco and Murphy's. I think there is a glut of gasoline in the Gulf terminal refineries. A lot of it gets dumped in the Kansas City market because of the Phillips 66 dominance in this area. Quick Trip is contracted with Phillip 66. My guess is that they sell 60% of the fuel in my market. When summer blend was liquidated about 6 weeks ago the retail price was lower than Gulf Coast wholesale prices. Lasted about 3 days.
That very well could be the case. My understanding is that refineries are still basically running full bore cause they want to make as much distillate cause that's where the money is currently. A side effect of that is, gasoline production that high for the current gasoline demand.

Back