Rebuilding GM 6 speed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody have experience with the 6 speed transmissions in the last generation (c. 2011) Chevy Tahoe? No issues currently but its approaching 100k and I know a lot of people end up needing a replacement. As of now my plan is annual fluid changes and hoping for the best. Local shop I spoke with said they average $3500 when they go bad but I've seen a lot higher reports online...

they put that 6l80 in a bazillion vehicles. I would ask what is the actual rebuild cost vs the removal install labor.

Talk to your dealer about what kind of a deal they can give you on a GM reman. That's all I install, anymore. The 3/100k warranty is about the best you'll find for the price. Why? Because you can drop it off at any GM dealer if it fails under warranty, regardless of where you have it installed as long as it was a licensed repair facility.

Keep up on fluid changes and it could go over 200k. My last one did and is still going strong. IMO a good trans tune will help longevity as firmer shifts make less heat and wear the clutches/fluid less.

My buddies 2012 2500 6L90 trans failed at 150K. It was actually the TQ converter that failed and put metal in the system. His truck was purchased after it was a fleet truck and had done alot of towing. That being said it was about 1400$ to rebuild it with a new converter. GM service recommends changing Trans fluid at 100K for the 6 speeds.

2011 build 6L80E/6L90E's are outside the cracked 1-2-3-4/3-5 Reverse clutch housing issues.

Having the TCC PWM function disabled in the tune goes A LONG way to extending Torque Converter life!; You must also disable the AFM if equipped or you will experience a vibration/harmonic in V4 mode.

Quite a few of these units have been rebuilt because of Valve Body & TCM issues that are repairable with the unit in the truck.

Change fluid frequently and don't do anything to shorten it's life in terms of making it work hard and it should last. Don't forget it was used in a lot of places and a lot of people don't take care of their vehicles unless something breaks alerting them to a problem aside from oil changes and that is why they most likely are labeled a problem transmission because no one is going to admit they failed to do regular maintenance on time.

That's not to say though that some transmissions need a little more TLC and some are more forgiving than others, but I think it's all this in combination that can determine the longevity.

Last edited:
We had several 2009 vans at the garage I used to work at come in with the 6L80 (if I remember right) that failed right around 120k each. Checking on identifix showed that year had major transmission failures, but it appeared that other years weren't affected. I haven't seen a failure on a truck or Tahoe for what that's worth and my coworker has a 2010 Sierra with the 6L80 and no issues after 230+ k. The 5.3 started to use oil after a couple months of pulling their skid steer at 15000 lbs (rated for 9000 he says). Original transmission fluid and filter.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back