Rear struts 2005 impala.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep. Me again.
Can i change out or have a friend change out the rear struts easily ?
Do i need a spring compression tool ?
Looks like just unbolt them but...looks like it.
They are weak.
Thanks folks !
Base impala. Fantastic motor.

Yeah I think those are coil on strut. So you'd need to either buy quick struts, or transfer the coil spring from your old strut to the new strut.

Easy job with the right tools.

You don't need a fancy strut compressor that a pro shop has. Avoid friends and shops that wanna do quick struts as they often simply wanna make their life easier.
I've been telling people on here quick struts don't use the same spring rate your car came with. If you look at how many different springs Honda uses for a the same model year Honda Fit, it'd blow your mind.
Example, an automatic gets a different spring than the stick, a higher trim level Fit weighs 50 pounds more and gets yet a different spring that is .02MM thicker in diameter.

Excellent video:

Since GM and Saab were connected in 2005 I wonder if your 2005 Impala was similar to our 2005 Saab 9-5.

The rear strut design in the Saab was real easy to remove. Changing over the strut was easy to do.

The "Quick-Strut-Jury" keeps returning thumbs down verdicts.

If your '05's springs haven't broken yet, there's a chance they were well made.

You don't want to learn about cheap suspension parts the hard way.

Get the KYB quick struts
smile.gif

Quick struts are awesome

While the above is true, the guy isn't driving a Lexus. Quick struts will still be better than whatever is there now even though they're not ideal. People do get killed by losing control of the spring. Best combo is to do both the strut and the spring and use OEM parts. But if you add up the price of that combo plus the need to compress the spring, it's a lot more than just throwing in a set of quick struts and the quick struts will be safer. Just depends how much he wants to spend.

A while back I had a 1999 Toyota Solara and in 2009 I put quick struts in it...think it was Monroe. The ride at first was a little stiff but it seemed to drive a lot better than 10 year old worn out springs/struts. I didnt think it was a bad investment. Over time the shocks/springs wore in and it did become a softer ride. Eventually the car developed rod knock, but the suspension was great. I was happy I put those quick struts...not happy that it developed rod knock.

The video is correct, but keep in mind both the 99 Solara and the 05 Impala are not exactly expensive cars. The quick struts will do well at solving their suspension problems without incurring a lot of cost. For 05 Impala its a no brainer for the quick struts, but the other question remains...how long will the rest of the car last? Is it worth it to put in the struts if lets say 20000 miles later something major happens which totals the car.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back