Realtors in Florida

Life hack. Don’t use any of the home inspectors your realtor recommends. Realtors know which home inspectors will “go easy” and won’t list bad things that could blow the sale. It’s not like realtors will recommend the home inspectors which will ruin their commission. Hire your own independent one who operates as a lone wolf and isn’t liked by builders/realtors. They may be harder to find but they’re out there. In most industries this would be considered a “conflict of interest” but welcome to real estate… it would be like a contractor who built a building for a customer having his buddy do the final inspection!

I’m a licensed engineer and for some years have been thinking about opening up my own home inspection business. But I refuse to bow to the realtors ethically. If I am hired to inspect a home I’ll give you a laundry list of every defect or concern I have. It’s for you as the buyer to decide if it’s worth purchasing or not. My job is to educate you! How successful a business model this would be I’m not sure. Most people don’t care or know any better. But I can tell you my flyer probably wouldn’t be in front of a realtor office.
I like the course of action of hiring two home inspectors, and let them both know two were hired. Hiring just one home inspector is a massive risk.

I saw a new listing today and the house looked new and was built in 2017 and backs to a lake and natural reserve with a saltwater pool and a paver driveway. Immaculate with upgrades. In a top area and figured out to $189 sq ft..

If I was ready now I'd grab it. I suspect something quality like this will go in a week. This is a gem in a market of turkeys

Noticed another builder I toured back in the day has a new two story build. Palm Coast.
I worked in huge houses daily way back in the day so the size isn't the issue but I wonder what customers they were going after with this build

6700 sq. ft.
3 bedrooms?????
6 1/2 bathrooms
One of the three bedrooms is on the first floor...the master.
2 car garage

You think 5 bedrooms would be a good starting point with at least 2 masters ..

Another listing in a desirable neighborhood the advert said.
Next it said absolutely gorgeous refurb..........
It had a surface spit and polish inside and was clean.
Just like the TV designer shows the roof was shot. Not many closeups of that beauty...

Noticed another builder I toured back in the day has a new two story build. Palm Coast.
I worked in huge houses daily way back in the day so the size isn't the issue but I wonder what customers they were going after with this build

6700 sq. ft.
3 bedrooms?????
6 1/2 bathrooms
One of the three bedrooms is on the first floor...the master.
2 car garage

You think 5 bedrooms would be a good starting point with at least 2 masters ..
Link please!

I think car dealers- salespeople and realtors are the number 1 cause of IBS in America :p
Funny I know what that is today but not in 2004 when my coworker said she was diagnosed with it.

I always wondered why someone in sales would say you know more about it (the product they’re selling) than I do

I, on the other hand, have a great real estate agent as well as a top mortgage broker. My mortgage broker helped me pay off my home, which was the impossible dream for an ex-homeless drunk.
Now I have 3.
I bought my house on a 80/10/10 to avoid PMI, from Sovereign Bank. The 10% home equity was 1% higher.

This nasty mortgage broker said oh do what you want you’ll never be able to pay off the 10% loan. He wanted to sell a 10% down with PMI. So my experience with a broker was the opposite.

Today? A broker has to pass an exam for the NMLS whereas a bank employee does not.

My wife was series 7 66, life, and NMLS, and believe me, she knows very little about investing and mortgages.

I’m not cutting her down the above are exam related. Today, she does what she loves teaching elementary school. The pay is less but again she loves her job and she does provide great health insurance to boot and saves me $700+/mo

always wondered why someone in sales would say you know more about it (the product they’re selling) than I do
Before I start, I'm not saying this is you. I sold to thousands of people over the years, in car sales and my own business. Some people think they're the smartest people in the world, and often make it known by rattling off facts, or some other ways of trying to show they did their homework or knew more than I did. They were one of my favorites. Playing into it, can often get them to drop their guard, give them the feeling they're in control and generate a sale. A good salesman knows exactly how to deal with many of the multitude of personalities out there. The know it all is one of many.

You support what my buddy said. He was an account manager and he stated he didn’t make anything off of say a corp ordering another 100 laptops. He was paid to maintain the account and it’s relationship. And it wasn’t easy as purchasers know they can go anywhere. You’re mentioning buyers dropping their guard is classic imho.

Motivation appears to be quite different when one can gain 3% off a sale, or an additional sale doesn’t mean additional commission but an overall goal does.

Again I’m not speaking from experience as I’ve never been in sales. Wrong personality. First rejection after 6 mos of work I’m crying in the fetal position 😆

Last edited by a moderator:
Sales is not for everyone. I happened to like it, and excelled at it. I was in competition with myself, enjoyed reading body language, and people in general. I also like challenges. Selling can be a challenge, but once you learn the ropes it can be profitable and fun.

probably find out if a good old fashioned Cat 4/5 hits a major population center or when the wealthy entitled class can't find anyone to mow the lawn or take them to the doctor.
If half of what the news says about our Governors crackdown on employment of illegals is true
I figure the price of Tomatoes, Watermelons and Oranges is going thru the roof.

I wonder if we will have a mass exodus soon or will Florida only be for the upper class. I remember a different Florida...

I’ve been here 37 years, if there’s an exodus it would just send more retirees taking advantage of the exodus. There may be a big correction though, things can’t sustain forever. Either that or everyone moves to central Florida areas besides Orlando. Sebring and Okeechobee are still pretty rural and affordable, not much there besides lakes and a raceway.
Despite our costs of living increases, everyone down here from NY and NJ says it’s still better and still cheaper. Now if you’re comparing other states they are more competitive but the retirees still win based on those enormous NE costs. No lie, most of the people I meet here near Stuart/Port St lucie retired or fled NY/ NJ. Same thing with most of palm beach county. Just look at the multiple daily flights from PBI to JFK and back.
I’m rambling just to say Florida will be fine unless it gets more expensive and colder than NY/NJ.

@Brett776

I think the NY and NJ folks ruined Florida. Everything was cheap to them and they drove up the prices.
Funny thing is I have noticed sq. ft. being equal Palm Coast and the surrounding area builders are less expensive than central Florida. Didn't believe it but I priced them..

Port St Lucie has some nasty property taxes.. just rambling as well.

Ahh yes I don’t love the NY migration but it will keep FL afloat. Palm coast is nice for sure, know a few people there. Most of the transfers from NY here at least don’t share those same NY ideas at least.
Port St. Lucie property taxes are pretty high, you do get amazing parks and a very well maintained clean city. I can’t say much though we get a big break on taxes as my wife is a disabled VET.
I like it down here a lot, I’d of chose elsewhere in Florida and more rural like when I was near Alachua but work took me here. No real complaints, I still love the state. I also love the water, salt, fresh, all nearby.

I hope you find something down here. Whole lot of choices.

I was in the store talking to a guy that drives the Amish around. It's a big thing here.
He told me they are now going to Florida to build without delay after the permits are through

I didn't know that but they go where the $$_ are. And it's a quicker way to get in a house.

I am a bit suspect though of the workmanship

There is a builder in PC. that I like and find interesting.
I have my thoughts as to why, but this is unique.
They have 6 models of homes from 1800 sq. ft. to 2600... single story Mediterranean style.

The weird part is they are all built to a high standard but only $25K apart in total from
the smallest to the largest built on your lot. The standard is high, and the smaller homes are not more luxurious.

They are not a large builder either. Maybe 3 or 4 a year-that's it. No names

zzyzzx lol​

@Brett776

I think the NY and NJ folks ruined Florida. Everything was cheap to them and they drove up the prices.
Funny thing is I have noticed sq. ft. being equal Palm Coast and the surrounding area builders are less expensive than central Florida. Didn't believe it but I priced them..

Port St Lucie has some nasty property taxes.. just rambling as well.

Are you set on the Palm Coast area? The gulf side has a lot more midwestern transplants if NJ/NY isn’t your thing.

No real suggestions. It feels like it gets more expensive the further south you go. I only know people in Tampa and Naples. I guess it depends if you want a house on some land, a house in a neighborhood or a house in a golf/resort community. From your posts I dont get the feeling you need to be right in the mix of everything so a larger lot that you build/custom build on a bit further from the water is probably the way to go.

Back