Realtors in Florida

Another YouTube blunder.
YouTuber has a plan for young new home buyers that are finding it hard to get into a house and all of the fees afterwards like insurance etc.

He tells them to just set aside
$20k for home issues that may arise...really..lol

It was sort of two fold.
Some can do without insurance and others can be like him. Save $20k for possible maintenance issues like a new roof so your insurance doesn't go up.
Taking into account how an old roof can up your insurance.

Many young buyers won't have any emergency money these days. He is out of touch with reality.

Well they will have to carry insurance as required by their lender. Everyone should have cash on hand to pay for unexpected expenses, not sinking it all into the down payment.

Well they will have to carry insurance as required by their lender. Everyone should have cash on hand to pay for unexpected expenses, not sinking it all into the down payment.
True but new young buyers most likely barely have enough money to get a house to begin with.
Also I think he is alluding to cash buyers not getting insurance but never qualifies his comments. Cash buyers seem to be the new norm because they are fresh imports to the market... NY and NJ etc

That said it is a huge risk.
Florida isn't for everybody these days. Any good realtor could enlighten new prospects on what to expect as far as insurance and property taxes.

I helped my kids buy their first house, nothing fancy but something in their budget and nice neighborhood.

I put the down payment….

True but new young buyers most likely barely have enough money to get a house to begin with.
Also I think he is alluding to cash buyers not getting insurance but never qualifies his comments. Cash buyers seem to be the new norm because they are fresh imports to the market... NY and NJ etc

That said it is a huge risk.
Florida isn't for everybody these days. Any good realtor could enlighten new prospects on what to expect as far as insurance and property taxes.
Yes, I was assuming that we are talking about young buyers that can't pay cash. I'm sure market entry cost is the majority of the problem, but I also can't help but wonder if young buyers have too high of expectations for their first home. They watch videos on social of young influencers living the luxury life so a 3 bed starter home with a dated kitchen isn't even given a second thought. I could be wrong, but entitlement runs strong in many cases.

Yes, I was assuming that we are talking about young buyers that can't pay cash. I'm sure market entry cost is the majority of the problem, but I also can't help but wonder if young buyers have too high of expectations for their first home. They watch videos on social of young influencers living the luxury life so a 3 bed starter home with a dated kitchen isn't even given a second thought. I could be wrong, but entitlement runs strong in many cases.
Absolutely agree...
Any realtor could vouch for what you said. They are approved for $300k and let's look at homes starting at $900k... 😂

This is a good builder but a spec house- not a model house.
This trick was done on the east coast forever but carpet in those places and against even the bar area-
island........... count me out-lol (Set up for the lowest price I fully understand)

foyer %%%%%%.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: GON
A Florida builder listed a built on your lot house starting at $342k on January 28th this year
They now start at $380K
I suspect they are busy and ripping. That was on a 2,337 sq ft. Mediterranean house

• Wow
Reactions: GON
This is a good builder but a spec house- not a model house.
This trick was done on the east coast forever but carpet in those places and against even the bar area-
island........... count me out-lol (Set up for the lowest price I fully understand)

View attachment 181576
I don't like houses that don't have a front entryway and just dump you straight into the living area like this

I don't like houses that don't have a front entryway and just dump you straight into the living area like this
Agreed- like a bi-level
You walk into a bi-level you see stairs up and down then you walk up and instantly
you see the kitchen, LR, DR. Hallway and within seconds you scope out the whole house.
I turned a bi-level into a shop for that reason.

Summer 2019 I was house shopping, so contacted a realtor. This woman turned out to be as incompetent as anyone can be. Told her I was done with her flakiness, and I contacted a guy, he turned out to only know how to lie.
So I got rid of him as my realtor to.
At this point I was not sure what to do.
Went to an open house I saw advertised, in the area of interest for me.
While that certainly wasn't a house I was interested in, the realtor there was amazing. Asked her to keep her eyes open in the area, and what I wanted. Over the next month she showed me 5 or 6 houses for sale, but sadly they didn't have what I wanted. One Saturday morning she calls me up, and tells me about this brand new listing she saw.
An hour later she picked me up, we went for a look, and I liked it. I spent over an hour just walking the property alone.
Asked her to see it again Sunday, but if possible with the home owners there, so I could talk to them.
While she was driving me back to where I lived, asked her to pull over. We sat on the side of the road talking for maybe 15 minutes, and then asked her to put in an offer for me. Long story short, a month later I was moving grandma and I in. The right realtor, makes all the difference. Those first two were useless, but the third awesome.

Today's tidbits

79% of all insurance lawsuits are filed in Florida.

One homeowners house insurance in Florida went from $4k to $12k in one year

Many have had big property tax increases like $3800 to $8200 in one year.

Oddity...
I saw a lazy Susan cabinet in a bathroom. New to me.

I've only bought 1 house in 2002. Back then, boy did I have a lot to learn. I called the realtor on the sign and said I was interested--you should have seen how eager he was to close the sale. Dual agent city.

Then my buddy said you don't do that, you get your own buyer's agent, who deals with the seller's agent. They each get 3%.

Anyway, at the time, my realtor was my buddy's dad's friend. He was a SVP at a regional bank. I asked him, why are you doing real estate, you're an SVP at a bank? He said because I'm getting old, and I find that at my age (57), the more I ask my reports to do something, the more they push back. I'd rather spend my time doing something I want to do.

Now in retrospect, 57 was old to me back then, so I couldn't relate to doing something part time on the side, that someone was new to. He was from Bucks Co. PA, and he'd drive all the way down here to show me 1-3 houses, 2X per week? That's gotta be 1+ hours each way battling I-95 traffic.

The one concept he could not drive home to me...I said how come assessments are so low relative to the asking prices? He tried to say they only have bearing relative to one another, not to the selling price. As a matter of fact, it was like 2021 where our assessments nearly doubled. Taxes stayed exactly the same as mill rate went down. Assessments are supposed to be revenue blind. For the king to know what's in the kingdom, and to nail people who made improvements without permits.

The funniest is when we finally made the purchase maybe 4 mos. later. I said, "So you get 3%, huh?"

He laughed out loud. He said hardly, I'm not even a broker, I'm an agent. The managing broker gets a cut, the house gets a cut, and I get well, a small piece. But looking back, he liked showing houses and looking at them with me. I believe him to this day when he said he gets gratification out of seeing a first time home buyer find something they wanted. Maybe these guys exist in FL, maybe not :ROFLMAO:

Back