Really stupid question - may be the dumbest ever

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK. Long post for a stupid question. I feel like a kid in a candy store. I think I have found a new home. I love looking at motor oils. No idea why. But spend a lot of time thinking/web searching about it. Even if I just end up buying at walmart or Autozone. And other forums I go to if you ask an oil question you get flamed.

Was at Summit Racing and they have all the weird oils in stock. Royal Purple, DT 40, Red Line, Lucas, etc. Took my kids back just to show them and I had to buy something. No cars needed changed at the time, but all the lawn equipment did, so at my kids suggestion I bought some SAE30 Royal Purple. Went home and changed the oil on the leaf blower, pressure washer, edger, etc.

And to my kids delight the Royal Purple oil was purple!

So may question is - is Red Line oil Red? If so I may have to get some (and it comes in a cool bottle)

No.

But GC (German Castrol) used to be green at one point.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
No.

smile.gif

And of course Royal Purple really is purple (when it comes out of the bottle, the dye goes away almost immediately at engine temp). Isn't Brad Penn green or something unusual also?

There are many other ways you can chill out your mind with...
smile.gif

And can be for free...like walk with kids in nature
wink.gif

LOL, they will remember that. As to your question, I don't think so (I've never used it). The purple in RP will not last. It turns normal oil color after a few runs. BTW RP is not the first dyed oil, back is the early 70's Union76 20w-50 racing oil was dyed purple as well.

No.

smile.gif

Its funny you mention that. First oil change I did in the Audi 100K or so miles ago - before I knew about Porsche A40, VW 502, BMW LL01, etc, I just bought what ever oil (Didn't have any german cars up to that point - so just bought whatever the oil cap said. The audi didn't say but quick search said 5W40. The only 5W40 I could find was a Castrol Edge Synthetic. When filling the car back with oil I noticed some quarts had brown oil and some had green. Never thought about it again until now.

Originally Posted By: Kamele0N
smile.gif

wink.gif

Yeah, but all kids can walk in nature. How many 14 year old girls can change the oil in a BMW while the dad wanders around the garage sipping a cold one?

smile.gif

wink.gif

Anything you do with your kids is a good thing.

Originally Posted By: dgjks6
The only 5W40 I could find was a Castrol Edge Synthetic. When filling the car back with oil I noticed some quarts had brown oil and some had green.

Castrol 5w-40 was never green in the US, AFAIK, so I'm not sure what you had there, unless you grabbed some 0w-30 by mistake, which would have been VW 502.00 approved anyway.

Originally Posted By: dgjks6
The only 5W40 I could find was a Castrol Edge Synthetic. When filling the car back with oil I noticed some quarts had brown oil and some had green.

Castrol 5w-40 was never green in the US, AFAIK, so I'm not sure what you had there, unless you grabbed some 0w-30 by mistake, which would have been VW 502.00 approved anyway.

Don't know. But after making a bunch of oil mistakes like this in the past (put 20W50 in my excursion one time, adding whatever oil I had on the shelf for a top off - different weights) and hundreds of thousands of miles later all the cars still run fine - makes me wonder if we spend too much time obsessing about oil. Not that I mind.

Originally Posted By: Matinicus
In the late 1960's Kendall had a green oil.....GTX? GT1?
There was also a blue auto oil.....Cities Service? Sinclair?

Kerr-McGee (Deep Rock) Blue Velvet (Ad)

Their 15W-50 was great.

Last edited:
Quote:
But after making a bunch of oil mistakes like this in the past (put 20W50 in my excursion one time, adding whatever oil I had on the shelf for a top off - different weights) and hundreds of thousands of miles later all the cars still run fine - makes me wonder if we spend too much time obsessing about oil. Not that I mind.

Funny you mention that. My first car, a 62 Chrysler 300 (413ci). That thing would chirp the tires hitting 2nd gear.
I put that Union76 20w-50 in + a can of STP many times over the 20K i had it. The engine ran great, but the tranny gave out at 110,000 miles. Too many chirps I guess.....LOL

I just couldn't resist reading the candidate for dumbest question ever. Eh, it wasn't that dumb.

It's a rabbit hole; get out now while you still can Dg!

Originally Posted By: BrianC
smile.gif

wink.gif

Anything you do with your kids is a good thing.

+1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back