Read my Spark Plug

I don't like those tiny black deposits seen on the porcelain and tip. They look as though they are fused on. So it seems like the plugs are running hot to me. I also don't believe it is anything related to gas since I am California and none of my 10 cars ever had plugs with small black deposits whether vintage or newer.

Thanks all.

Those little black specks on insulators are a major reason i started this thread.

The insulators do not appear shiny or glazed though.

The remarks on timing are also important to me. I think i am doing to twist the distributor a degree or 3 clockwise. My timing light is on the other side.of the country...but i have scratched both distributorand intake manifold to indicate 10 degrees btdc.

I can take.much higher definition photos of these plugs.......

I have to admit the extended reach slightly cooler.plugs are now installed, and the engine does seem.to idle smoother when cold. But i am willing to attribute 'seems' to placebo effect.

I've not driven it yet with the.extended reach slightly cooler plugs.

The plugs pictured in this thread can easily be returned to service if it behaves poorly at full temp.

Thanks all.

Those little black specks on insulators are a major reason i started this thread.

The insulators do not appear shiny or glazed though.

The remarks on timing are also important to me. I think i am doing to twist the distributor a degree or 3 clockwise. My timing light is on the other side.of the country...but i have scratched both distributorand intake manifold to indicate 10 degrees btdc.

I can take.much higher definition photos of these plugs.......

I have to admit the extended reach slightly cooler.plugs are now installed, and the engine does seem.to idle smoother when cold. But i am willing to attribute 'seems' to placebo effect.

I've not driven it yet with the.extended reach slightly cooler plugs.

The plugs pictured in this thread can easily be returned to service if it behaves poorly at full temp.
You need vacuum advance on a street driven car. It aids starting, engine need high advanc eto run low cyl pressure stoich, and also, the timing has to be pulled back under load. You can get an adjustable advance kit and just run 8 or 12 degrees. Base timing should be set to factory - or since the marks may be way off - to where it runs well but still has good pull in top gear at WOT.
I havent modded any chrysler SB or BB Ive just run factory. I dont know about their smogger settings or if they have the FORD style temp controlled advance and retard on the dist.

I don't like those tiny black deposits seen on the porcelain and tip. They look as though they are fused on. So it seems like the plugs are running hot to me. I also don't believe it is anything related to gas since I am California and none of my 10 cars ever had plugs with small black deposits whether vintage or newer.
Agreed I thought the same thing.
PS is that a Grumman in your avatar? I'm not far from the former home of Grumman Aircraft Engineering. This is the old style Grumman sign which was actually at their corporate headquarters in Bethpage. Its now in the Cradle of Aviation Museum in Garden City Long Island. Which is actually the part of the former Mitchel Air Force Base.

Attachments

• Grumman.jpg
    Grumman.jpg
    361.4 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Agreed I thought the same thing.
PS is that a Grumman in your avatar? I'm not far from the former home of Grumman Aircraft Engineering. This is the old style Grumman sign which was actually at their corporate headquarters in Bethpage. Its now in the Cradle of Aviation Museum in Garden City Long Island. Which is actually the part of the former Mitchel Air Force Base.
Yes, it is an Avenger (Grumman design, Eastern Motors built) that I restored externally so far. Interior has to wait as I have far more pressing concerns on the outside of the museum.

great I'd love to see more pix...
The plane ended up as a fire bomber in 1960 after her service ended in 1956 as a COD. I'll show an early stage and finished stage picture. Fire bombers always had their gun turret and bomb bay doors taken out and dumped. We were lucky to have a complete gun turret for the plane. We have acquired four separate pieces to make up a bomb bay door set but it requires a lot of work. Time which I don't have for it since I am also taking care of the Island superstructure by myself. It is a TBM-3E Avenger to be specific.

Attachments

• TBM_08B.JPG
    TBM_08B.JPG
    147.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2711_01.JPG
    IMG_2711_01.JPG
    217.1 KB · Views: 2
The plane ended up as a fire bomber in 1960 after her service ended in 1956 as a COD. I'll show an early stage and finished stage picture. Fire bombers always had their gun turret and bomb bay doors taken out and dumped. We were lucky to have a complete gun turret for the plane. We have acquired four separate pieces to make up a bomb bay door set but it requires a lot of work. Time which I don't have for it since I am also taking care of the Island superstructure by myself. It is a TBM-3E Avenger to be specific.
Wow that's beautiful, thanks! There is one of these and a Hellcat plus a number of other planes on the USS Intrepid museum on the west side of Manhattan in NYC. We have a couple of nice museums on Long Island, the Cradle of Aviation, The American Airpower Museum (actually the last remaining building that was part of Republic Aviation on the grounds of Republic Airport) and Grumman Memorial Park. Aerospace was really big on Long Island from approx 1929 to 1994 when Grumman was bought by Northrup. I know that Republic built approx 9,500 Thunderbolts during WW-2 and over 800 Thunderchiefs during the cold war. And of course, Grumman many thousands of planes during WW-2, the cold war and built the LEM, its first spacecraft right in Bethpage. First pic is a TBF being built in Bethpage LI, second pic is flight testing at Republic in East Farmingdale LI, it was mostly rural then so not too many people would object to the low passes! Third pic is the huge Republic Aviation factory in East Farmindale, at the corner of Conklin St (Rte 24) and Broadhollow Rd (Rte 110). All gone now sadly. One of the buildings at the far left adjacent to the road is now the American Airpower Museum.

Attachments

• Grumman TBF 1941.jpg
    Grumman TBF 1941.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 3
  • Low pass.jpg
    Low pass.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 3
  • Rebuplic Aviation.png
    Rebuplic Aviation.png
    337.2 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Wow that's beautiful, thanks! There is one of these and a Hellcat plus a number of other planes on the USS Intrepid museum on the west side of Manhattan in NYC. We have a couple of nice museums on Long Island, the Cradle of Aviation, The American Airpower Museum (actually the last remaining building that was part of Republic Aviation on the grounds of Republic Airport) and Grumman Memorial Park. Aerospace was really big on Long Island from approx 1929 to 1994 when Grumman was bought by Northrup. I know that Republic built approx 9,500 Thunderbolts during WW-2 and over 800 Thunderchiefs during the cold war. And of course, Grumman many thousands of planes during WW-2, the cold war and built the LEM, its first spacecraft right in Bethpage. First pic is a TBF being built in Bethpage LI, second pic is flight testing at Republic in East Farmingdale LI, it was mostly rural then so not too many people would object to the low passes! Third pic is the huge Republic Aviation factory in East Farmindale, at the corner of Conklin St (Rte 24) and Broadhollow Rd (Rte 110). All gone now sadly. One of the buildings at the far left adjacent to the road is now the American Airpower Museum.
Engine shot familiar as I had to cut and form three engine cowling panels that had corrosion holes right through them besides wing panels. Actually four cowling panels as my first one I was off on the zeus holes by a 1/4". A somewhat expensive and time consuming learning experience for a first time ever making an aircraft panel. See it in the back in front of an old wing panel that was removed. No Hellcat here but our Wildcat is spectacular after being pulled out of Lake Michigan.

Attachments

• IMG_4219.JPG
    IMG_4219.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 2
  • FM2_06.JPG
    FM2_06.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 2
  • rsz_fm2_118.jpg
    rsz_fm2_118.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 2
  • TBM_06.jpg
    TBM_06.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 2
Looks very good to me. Better than any of my current carb'd vehicles. The little bit of carbon from the fuel additives is minimal. I would personally run a copper plug in there since that is what it originally called for and see if there are any changes. The plug you are using is a very good one, but I do use Coppers in my old vehicles.

Engine shot familiar as I had to cut and form three engine cowling panels that had corrosion holes right through them besides wing panels. Actually four cowling panels as my first one I was off on the zeus holes by a 1/4". A somewhat expensive and time consuming learning experience for a first time ever making an aircraft panel. See it in the back in front of an old wing panel that was removed. No Hellcat here but our Wildcat is spectacular after being pulled out of Lake Michigan.
You did beautiful work, Lee Roy Grumman would be pleased!

Back