Re: MS Outlook Compacting Prompt

Status
Not open for further replies.
For whatever reason as of late I am getting an Outlook can compact your mail prompt at start-up. I have always used Netscape/Mozilla integrated mail and am currently using Thunderbird 3.0, but have never used Outlook for my mail at any time. I am running Windows XP 2002/SP3 and the Outlook version is 2002 as well. There has been quite a few updates for XP lately and I'm wondering if downloading one of them has caused this. I did a bit of research and tried disabling the "Auto archive" but that didn't work. Any suggestions please?

--

This is an Outlook behavior. It wants to compact (read: compact & repair) the database files. On a fast computer with a reasonable amount of mail, you won't see any difference in speed. On a slower computer with a ton of emails, the speed of accessing emails on your computer will be noticeably quicker.

This is a good thing to do every so often...

Thanks.

I currently have the Thunderbird compacting automatically but what does that have to do with Outlook if I'm not using it for my mail? What if I click OK on the Outlook prompt to compact will that at least get rid of it for awhile or will that cause issues in my Thunderbird profile?

So you are saying that it is a Windows program and I can't disable this prompt? I'm curious why it would start now as I've had the same mail client for years and have always used the compact feature and have never seen the Outlook prompt until the past week or so?

_

- Looking like it may have been my SP3 update causing this. It seems that you have to tell the Windows Search function included in one of the MS updates to stop indexing Outlook.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back