Office 2007 issue that killed my Outlook express

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Dell pc with Office XP installed that ran fine. My son needed office 2007 for school work and then the issues started.

I have a genuine copy of 2007 Office and installed it and it worked fine for me but not my wife and son.

They were getting the dreaded windows installer every time they tried to open any thing .

Well my son is off to college this year so I figured I would uninstall the office 2007 and reinstall it making my wife as an admin

as well as me in case that was an issue, no dice still getting the installer message.

Did a bunch of searches on the Microsoft tech page and tried everything under the sun and still not luck.

Went and updated my XP and now I have lost Outlook Express for my wife's profile and she still can not access anything in

office 2007.

First I would like to get get her outlook working but should I start with the system file checker and see if it repairs her Outlook ?

Since I have the original XP disc from Dell , I would think that maybe I could repair Outlook for that disc ?

From there I want to just reinstall the Office XP that was on the machine as it worked fine but I am missing one number

in the product key ( a guy who I used to work with burned me a copy )

My wife does not want to lose her emails so I feel that I need to get her outlook issues fixed first and I can back them up on my external
hard drive that I have .

Seems like the whole issue could have been that the Office XP did not get totally uninstalled as the outlook express was still on there .

weird part is everything worked fine for me.

I even went in to check on the permissions as a last result ( figured this would solve it ) in the registry for office.

thanks for any suggestions that you may have.

Outlook Express has been replaced a couple times and has morphed into Windows Live Mail which is a VERY good product IMO. I suggest ditching OE and moved to WLM during this forced upgrade.

No, you can't repair Outlook Express from the original XP disc. More than likely, there's a number of registry settings and such that need to be tweaked to make it work.

Have you tried reinstalling Outlook express?

Office 2007 was enough of a PITA that I also uninstalled it and now use OpenOffice 3.1 for everything. Keep in mind that files created with Office2007 often don't work correctly with previous versions of Office since Microsoft "updated" the format of the files. Nice, eh? OpenOffice can read Microsoft Office files from all versions up to and including 2007. You can find OpenOffice (which is free) here:

http://www.openoffice.org

Familyguy,

How would you suggest that I reinstall Outlook Express ? I would like to get that working first so I can recover the emails for my wife. as long as she can send and check her emails and get online , I can try and fix the rest of the stuff. was hoping to be able to upgrade to the 2007 office that I had payed for but it has much more of a hassle than I ever imagined. may try open office as a last resort but my wife is not very computer savy and she is used to outlook express. any ideas on getting my version of office xp to work as that would be another idea and just use a converter if anybody emails me stuff that is in another format. I know I have some tech support with the office 2007 version that I bought but reading the stories online say that I would be on the phone for hours and still have the same issue . I understand that I can go windows live for an upgrade but would I get her old emails and transfer them? even if I get windows live working I still have the problem that uninstalling and reinstalling office 2007 does not work on her profile. I am pretty pc savy but this has been nothing but a royal pita. I know if I got the upgrade to 2007 I could just import her mail from outlook express and all would be ok but so far nothing has worked. just can not understand why it works on my profile.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Familyguy
Eek, apparently you can't anymore. Check this link:

http://ask-leo.com/from_where_can_i_download_outlook_express_6.html

Well, I found the link to reinstall IE 6 which is suppose to have outlook express in it as well. also found a couple of articles that attempt to repair or reinstall it. looks like I have a bunch of things to try. might have to reinstall IE and that will reinstall outlook. looks like I will be busy after work today to get this thing fixed.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/detai...;DisplayLang=en

Before you reinstall IE6, Outlook Express, I recommend that you download and run the free program MailStore.

Link To Mail Store

There is a chance that it will save her email? After you reinstall Outlook Express you can try and run it and see if it will restore the email and settings?

Originally Posted By: SrDriver
Before you reinstall IE6, Outlook Express, I recommend that you download and run the free program MailStore.

Link To Mail Store

There is a chance that it will save her email? After you reinstall Outlook Express you can try and run it and see if it will restore the email and settings?

SrDriver

Thanks for the link to the mailstore. will have to download it and make a copy of all of the emails. I tried to see if i could reinstall IE 6 but it comes with service pack 1 and I can only remove service pack 3. tried to remove service pack 2 but it will not let me. I tried to use windows live email and I can not import the outlook express .dbx files, only seems to take files from outlook 2007. I also tried to reinstall outlook from microsofts tech support page suggestion and that did not work. if I could just get the office 2007 working ok for her I would just ditch the outlook express. I just feel bad for her as she can not open documents, spreadsheets or email. have fixed a lot of problems on pcs before but this one is being a stinker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back