Raybestos E3 RPT vs Powerstop Geomet (12-month quick review)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all,

In July 2020, I replaced the OEM rotors (and pads) on my Grand Cherokee. I had heard great things from the BITOG community about both the Raybestos and Powerstop coated rotors. So I decided to try them both! Raybestos Element 3 RPT Grey Fusion rotors in the front, and Powertop Geomet rotors in the rear. I live in Canada where we get a lot of snow, ice and with that of course a lot of salted roads. Thus far both have held up amazingly well. All in all I'm happy with both.

I was not happy with the Wagner Thermoquiet pads though. They always squealed and caused a clunking/knocking noise when I braked as they sat too loose in the caliper bracket. So today I swapped the TQs for Akebono ASP pads, which fit much better, and thus far quiet as a mouse.

The vented rotor is the Raybestos, the full rotor is the Powerstop

Raybestos E3 Coated Rotor.JPEG

Powerstop Geomet.JPEG

They look very similar.

Pad slapping with different pads can cause pulsation issues, mainly because you are trying to establish a new transfer layer on top of different material.

I did something similar recently. I put Powerstop rotors on the front and E3 rotors on the back, paired with Akebono pads.

The coating is probably the same Geomet, given how alike they look both new and used :unsure:

Hey all,

In July 2020, I replaced the OEM rotors (and pads) on my Grand Cherokee. I had heard great things from the BITOG community about both the Raybestos and Powerstop coated rotors. So I decided to try them both! Raybestos Element 3 RPT Grey Fusion rotors in the front, and Powertop Geomet rotors in the rear. I live in Canada where we get a lot of snow, ice and with that of course a lot of salted roads. Thus far both have held up amazingly well. All in all I'm happy with both.

I was not happy with the Wagner Thermoquiet pads though. They always squealed and caused a clunking/knocking noise when I braked as they sat too loose in the caliper bracket. So today I swapped the TQs for Akebono ASP pads, which fit much better, and thus far quiet as a mouse.

The vented rotor is the Raybestos, the full rotor is the Powerstop

View attachment 68714

View attachment 68713
I'm trying to decide between the 2 models.
14 cents splits the difference between the 2 brands on a full set.

Based on the photo and the hat area, it seems like powerstop is a bit better other than specks of rust dots, but the vane is better on the Raybestos for the front rotor.

I thought the original Geomet formula would be better overall or they are just the same coating from same factory.
Which would you buy again?

Last edited:
I have been burnt by powerstop in the past several times.. so I avoid.. but I'd consider them again as 2nd or 3rd choice if others werent available.
(or crazy discount)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back