Ram 1500 classic, new Raybestos Element 3's

JTK

Had to replace the font pads and rotors on my 2019 classic at 37500mi. The pads were so hopelessly seized into the caliper brackets, they were squealing and I didn't have great braking performance. My wheels have been getting covered in black dust for some time from this as well. I still had about 50% OEM pad life left, they were worn evenly and the caliper pins were free and sufficiently lubed, but the backing plates on the pads were swollen and almost rusted off. The rotors as well as pads could have been cleaned up and re-used, but I hate to go through all that clean and prep work and not put new parts on. It's almost faster to just use new stuff.

Huge difference in braking performance with these Raybestos E3's. The rotors are coated. The front pad/rotor kit was $107.79 + tax and shipping from the Rock.

I've owned this truck just over 13 months and ~23K miles. I did break down the rear brakes to clean and lube them right after I bought the truck w/ 15K miles on it given I like to address the P-brake cam actuators ASAP so those don't rust solid, which they will in as little as 2yrs in my climate.

oOciFril.jpg

Interesting that Rock is now selling a kit for the Raybestos.

The last time I looked at kits, they only offered Powerstop, and I purchased one and found it to be of dubious quality. Basically it was powerstop pads with aimco rotors.

Reactions: JTK
I've done a few brake jobs with the Raybestos Element3 brakes and rotors and have been very satisfied with them.
It was based on recommendations I've read here from you and others that steered me towards these particular pads/rotors.

The price happened to be really good through rock auto when I bought them too. I also bought fronts for our 2019 Pathfinder and that kit was $20 more than the Ram's.

It was based on recommendations I've read here from you and others that steered me towards these particular pads/rotors.

The price happened to be really good through rock auto when I bought them too. I also bought fronts for our 2019 Pathfinder and that kit was $20 more than the Ram's.
I got an email from Rock yesterday that they had the Element3 front pads on wholesale closeout for my 08 Liberty. They coincidentally fit my 2016 Rubicon. They were under $25. Sold even though I won't need them for a while, along with wiper blades, all from the same warehouse.. I actually feel like I scored! LOL

Nice work. I used to buy the Akebono stuff, but the Element 3 is the way to go. Pretty much all I buy. And the kit deal is even better.

Nice work. I used to buy the Akebono stuff, but the Element 3 is the way to go. Pretty much all I buy. And the kit deal is even better.
Agree. Have these on 2 very different vehicles and they are excellent on both. I actually want an excuse to put them on our 3rd.

The DS must use smaller rotors and pads. Mine is significantly more $$$.

Could be that or just a supply and demand thing. Like I say, my 2019 Pathfinder's front rotors and pads are much smaller and lighter than the Ram's and they still cost more.

For older vehicles they sell a kit that includes new calipers with no core charge. The calipers are top notch per Trav. I'll probably be putting these, pads and rotors on '12 Camry soon. It has 89k miles with original front brakes. The rear has Wagner oex pads, original rotors and a Napa caliper on left rear.

Last edited:
This thread just solidified my decision to order these pads and rotors of RA. With shipping $208 and I’ll do it myself, not bad. I just did brake fluid this morning.

This thread just solidified my decision to order these pads and rotors of RA. With shipping $208 and I’ll do it myself, not bad. I just did brake fluid this morning.
I've put about 6000 miles on these pads / rotors so far. Love them. Great performance over the OEMs and very little dust.

Back