Raybestos RPT Reman Coated Calipers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Purchased a pair of Raybestos Rust Prevention Technology (RPT) Calipers for a VW Beetle.

The good:
- No fluid leakage
- Calipers functioned properly
- Caliper was well-lubricated using silicone paste.
- The coating appears to be evenly-applied and matches the OE finish.

The bad:
- OE slide pins are a 7mm Allen. On one caliper the pins were swapped out to a SAE size. On the other caliper, it appears that someone tried to use a torx on the pin, yet the pin looked brand new. Clearly, Raybestos is having the hardware cleaned and re-plated. This makes me wonder if they are doing the same for the piston and other components.

- No new bolt for the brake line was included

Note: I did not use the included caliper bracket. I have had too many poor experiences with reman caliper brackets having clearance issues (due to someone filing down the bracket due to rust). Also, the calipers were rebuilt in Mexico.

I paired the calipers with aftermarket Textar pads, Zimmermann rotors and Corteco hoses. The owner was stunned by how much better the brakes work compared to before.

96344BE0-C045-41B3-9B93-F654B8713CC3.jpeg

A21BB822-CFA7-4CD5-8C83-85B006005ACB.jpeg

68C8D198-FB22-4AC7-88F0-E02BD3249337.jpeg

Last edited:
I've never used reman calipers but thinking about getting Powerstop front calipers with the brackets from rockauto for my camry. Not sure how the quality is on them though.

I think I've had better luck with Raybestos calipers than Cardone when I can get them. Now, I'm not replacing calipers as much for the family fleet and for friends but on an old LS400 I used to drive the Raybestos calipers seemed good.

Originally Posted by The Critic
Purchased a pair of Raybestos Rust Prevention Technology (RPT) Calipers for a VW Beetle.

The good:
- No fluid leakage
- Calipers functioned properly
- Caliper was well-lubricated using silicone paste.
- The coating appears to be evenly-applied and matches the OE finish.

The bad:
- OE slide pins are a 7mm Allen. On one caliper the pins were swapped out to a SAE size. On the other caliper, it appears that someone tried to use a torx on the pin, yet the pin looked brand new. Clearly, Raybestos is having the hardware cleaned and re-plated. This makes me wonder if they are doing the same for the piston and other components.

- No new bolt for the brake line was included

Note: I did not use the included caliper bracket. I have had too many poor experiences with reman caliper brackets having clearance issues (due to someone filing down the bracket due to rust). Also, the calipers were rebuilt in Mexico.

I paired the calipers with aftermarket Textar pads, Zimmermann rotors and Corteco hoses. The owner was stunned by how much better the brakes work compared to before.

Good pads and rotors for that car. I bought of few sets of the same rotors and pads on closeout from Rock a while ago. Watch out for the threads on the knuckle when you do these or jetta/golf on older ones with no bracket they are M9 and like to strip and no Time Sert is available.

Last edited:
Too bad no Element3/Opti-Cal for the front of your Beetle, only the rear
cry.gif

Originally Posted by diyjake
I've never used reman calipers but thinking about getting Powerstop front calipers with the brackets from rockauto for my camry. Not sure how the quality is on them though.

What year is your Camry? The best calipers on Rock Auto would be the Raybestos Element3 all-NEW calipers, if they make them for your Camry

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
cry.gif

What year is your Camry? The best calipers on Rock Auto would be the Raybestos Element3 all-NEW calipers, if they make them for your Camry

I ordered Element3 calipers for my gmt800-900 swap from rock auto. Wanted new calipers not remans. Mine were $59 each side including brackets.

Truck has rust from being on the coast, and boats. But i'm not in the rust belt. Went with the element 3 coated rotors.

Last edited:
cry.gif

2009 Camry. Rockauto has the Raybestos Element3 for the rear only
frown.gif

I was thinking about trying the power stop s3128 red powder coated if I do need to replace mine.

cry.gif

frown.gif

I was thinking about trying the power stop s3128 red powder coated if I do need to replace mine.

Advics sells brand new calipers for that application. My cost from WP is $167/ea, so I am sure one of those online WP drop-ship sites will have it.

Originally Posted by The Critic
cry.gif

frown.gif

Advics sells brand new calipers for that application. My cost from WP is $167/ea, so I am sure one of those online WP drop-ship sites will have it.

What do you mean by WP?

Originally Posted by Sayjac
..What do you mean by WP?
Just so you are aware of World Pac policies you should read the linked post/thread. The information provided has not changed on the WP website. New accounts require "valid business license and resale tax number." Unless you meet those requirements, I'd look elsewhere.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...pe-h-plus-dw-1-for-honda-new#Post4763781

01.gif

This disclaimer should be required every time someone mentions buying from Worldpac. Only lucky people invited to the club can buy from them
cry.gif

..What do you mean by WP?
Just so you are aware of World Pac policies you should read the linked post/thread. The information provided has not changed on the WP website. New accounts require "valid business license and resale tax number." Unless you meet those requirements, I'd look elsewhere.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...pe-h-plus-dw-1-for-honda-new#Post4763781

01.gif

This disclaimer should be required every time someone mentions buying from Worldpac. Only lucky people invited to the club can buy from them
cry.gif

There are a fair amount of online sellers who drop ship through WorldPac and add 10% or so. To be fair, a lot of the prices aren't that much off of what the parts can be had for on Amazon or Rock Auto.

For my own information I'd like to contact some these nebulous "drop shippers" for WP directly to inquire about their middleman commission, policies and exact logistics involved in obtaining WP pricing and products. And to see if they are nationwide and easily accessed. To be fair, no added cost was noted in the first WP drop ship reference here. It is safe to say that through the channels most reading here obtain parts, WP not an option.

And while the price for the topic item may (or may not) be the same or close on Amazon and RA, as the link in my previous post proves, such is not always the case. The AAP reference for obtaining WP pricing was also debunked in that thread.

For reference, I have no problem with a shop obtaining WP pricing. Just think it's only proper those reading know the complete story.

For my own information I'd like to contact some these nebulous "drop shippers" for WP directly to inquire about their middleman commission, policies and exact logistics involved in obtaining WP pricing and products. And to see if they are nationwide and easily accessed. To be fair, no added cost was noted in the first WP drop ship reference here. It is safe to say that through the channels most reading here obtain parts, WP not an option.

And while the price for the topic item may (or may not) be the same or close on Amazon and RA, as the link in my previous post proves, such is not always the case. The AAP reference for obtaining WP pricing was also debunked in that thread.

For reference, I have no problem with a shop obtaining WP pricing. Just think it's only proper those reading know the complete story.

partsgeek stocks a number of items that appear to be WP exclusives, so I am fairly certain that they are one of those WP drop-ship sites.

They have the Advics caliper in question for $188: https://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/2009/toyota/camry/brake/brake_caliper.html?brand=advics

So for ~$21 more per caliper or a ~12% price premium on partsgeek, a non shop owner can obtain the noted part. Now diyjake knows what it would cost him to obtain the same part sold at WP. Now he's fully informed.

I have no idea if pg.com is drop shipper for WP or not, take your word for it. My only interest as an individual would be in bottom line price for the exact same part no matter where it comes from. That has now been disclosed.

So for ~$21 more per caliper or a ~12% price premium on partsgeek, a non shop owner can obtain the noted part. Now diyjake knows what it would cost him to obtain the same part sold at WP. Now he's fully informed.

I have no idea if pg.com is drop shipper for WP or not, take your word for it. My only interest as an individual would be in bottom line price for the exact same part no matter where it comes from. That has now been disclosed.

That is assuming his cost is the same as theirs. They could buy at a much higher volume so they would get a bigger discount, which is only right to reward a higher volume.

I was simply using the pricing information already provided in this thread as reference. It was stated that the WP price to a shop was $167 ("my cost") vs "$188" from pg.com Those are the prices provided, thus the post accurate as written. I assume/assumed nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back