Ravenol fluids for a `18 4Runner drivetrain (thoughts)

Thinking about using Ravenol products in my `18 4Runner TRD Off Road.

Ravenol WS in the trans.
Ravenol 75w in the transfer case
Ravenol 75w-85 in the front and rear diffs
maybe even get the Ravenol DXG 5w-30 for the engine?

kinda of expensive stuff, but cheaper than the crazy Toyota 75w in the can.
I will probably hold off to black Friday's online discount pricing.

I figure these fluids should be a quality synthetic and are specific to the spec that Toyota calls for without using a multi-use fluid.

Anyone have any experience with Ravenol and Toyota's. Do Toyota's like these fluids? or am I over thinking it and just get some Valvoline 75w-90 in the squeeze pack for the diffs and transfer case and something that can go in the trans. that I can get at Walmart. Never had a Toyota before and not sure how fussy the transmission will be with non-OEM fluids.

OR

Would I be better running:

HPL 75-90 gear life in the diffs.
HPL 75w in the transfer case (made to order)
HPL 5w-30 Premium Plus PCMO in the engine
not sure what in the trans. I am kinda not going down the path of a multi use fluid

Last edited:
HPL hands down. They are an industrial lubricant manufacturer that blend their fluids with top notch base oils and leading edge auditive packages from the likes of Infineum.

Ravenol is overpriced and overhyped. Disclaimer: for those who love Ravenol, I'm not knocking it, keep using it, it's you're money, I don't care.

If your Toyota is primarily RWD, then I would go with 75W-140 in the rear diff and 75W-85 or 75W-90 in the front. HPL should be able to make 75W-85 to order as well.

I’d go HPL. They’re cost-competitive in this case. You get a better oil.

The Ravenol would work, is a good choice, and the 75W is in my truck right now, but I’m a small business supporter and HPL fan.

So going the HPL route, in the engine what 5w-30 or 0w-30 in their lineup would give maximum timing chain life?
Kinda leaning towards the HPL 5w-30 Premium Plus PCMO. But would the No VII or the Super Car be better.

I am looking at 1yr/10,000 mile change interval with the TRD filter.

On the 1GR-FE, the timing chain would be the 1st component that would need attention at high mileage.

If it were mine
Valvoline in front and rear diff. Available everywhere and good fluid.

Transfer case only a few options, Toyota fluid way over priced for this. What you mentioned plus Redline

Transmission maybe Toyota, redline or the few u mentioned.

I know nothin about HP

If it were mine
Valvoline in front and rear diff. Available everywhere and good fluid.

Transfer case only a few options, Toyota fluid way over priced for this. What you mentioned plus Redline

Transmission maybe Toyota, redline or the few u mentioned.

I know nothin about HP
HPL makes a 75W that is perfect for that transfer case.

That’s what I’ve got on the shelf for the next change in my Tundra. It is also in my Volvo manual transmission.

It’s not on their site. You have to call them. Don’t forget the BITOG15 discount code.

As far as the engine or transmission oil, any of them will do fine

So going the HPL route, in the engine what 5w-30 or 0w-30 in their lineup would give maximum timing chain life?
Kinda leaning towards the HPL 5w-30 Premium Plus PCMO. But would the No VII or the Super Car be better.

I am looking at 1yr/10,000 mile change interval with the TRD filter.

On the 1GR-FE, the timing chain would be the 1st component that would need attention at high mileage.
Honestly, I think any of them would be fine. They’re all going to run 10,000 miles without a problem. If you really want a recommendation send a private message to @High Performance Lubricants and get the boss’s opinion.

I used vavoline 75w90 in front, rear differentials and mobil 1 75w90 in the transfer case on my GX460 which is a very close cousin to your 4runner. Its full time 4wd and hasn't exploded yet. I'm oblivious to the supposed slight drop in mpg for not using 75w. The transmission got almost 3 quarts of Vavoline maxlife. I picked this after my own extensive research seeing multiple other antidotes.

My choice were budget related, knowing what I know now and if my budget was unlimited I would pass up Toyota fluids, Ravenol and consider HPL and/or Amsoil.

Last edited:
Thinking about using Ravenol products in my `18 4Runner TRD Off Road.

Ravenol WS in the trans.
Ravenol 75w in the transfer case
Ravenol 75w-85 in the front and rear diffs
maybe even get the Ravenol DXG 5w-30 for the engine?

kinda of expensive stuff, but cheaper than the crazy Toyota 75w in the can.
I will probably hold off to black Friday's online discount pricing.

I figure these fluids should be a quality synthetic and are specific to the spec that Toyota calls for without using a multi-use fluid.

Anyone have any experience with Ravenol and Toyota's. Do Toyota's like these fluids? or am I over thinking it and just get some Valvoline 75w-90 in the squeeze pack for the diffs and transfer case and something that can go in the trans. that I can get at Walmart. Never had a Toyota before and not sure how fussy the transmission will be with non-OEM fluids.

OR

Would I be better running:

HPL 75-90 gear life in the diffs.
HPL 75w in the transfer case (made to order)
HPL 5w-30 Premium Plus PCMO in the engine
not sure what in the trans. I am kinda not going down the path of a multi use fluid
I would run HPL fluids imo everybody on here who’s running HPL Seems to love it .

I used vavoline 75w90 in front, rear differentials and mobil 1 75w90 in the transfer case on my GX460 which is a very close cousin to your 4runner. Its full time 4wd and hasn't exploded yet. I'm oblivious to the supposed slight drop in mpg for not using 75w. The transmission got almost 3 quarts of Vavoline maxlife. I picked this after my own extensive research seeing multiple other antidotes.

My choice were budget related, knowing what I know now and if my budget was unlimited I would pass up Toyota fluids, Ravenol and consider HPL and/or Amsoil.
Well, since Toyota charges $80/quart for that 75W and HPL charges about $16/quart, I would say sticking with OEM is the choice for those with unlimited budgets…

HPL hands down. They are an industrial lubricant manufacturer that blend their fluids with top notch base oils and leading edge auditive packages from the likes of Infineum.

Some forum members obviuously are HPL lovers - granted. I appreciate HPL anyway.

Ravenol is overpriced and overhyped.

Some forum members obviously are Ravenol haters. Again granted.
WHERE exactly found you on this forum when Ravenol was "hyped'?
As a matter of fact (no hype) Ravenol's top line (REP, RUP, RSP etc)
come with "top notch base oils and leading edge auditive packages"
(your own words, not mine) ALONG WITH reputable approvals - what
HPL sadly cannot provide.

Disclaimer: for those who love Ravenol, I'm not knocking it, keep using it, it's you're money, I don't care.

If you'd be more honest you'd be silent and not using the polemic words "overpriced and overhyped".

Again, tell me where exactly found you on this forum when Ravenol was "hyped'? Prove it please. "Hype" is to acclaim something without backing it with substantial facts. Thanks.

Valvoline 75w90 syn in all 3. I been running this in my 17 4R PRO for a long time now.
front diff
rear diff
transfer case.

Toyota even confirmed it with with someone stating that 75w90 is perfectly fine to use in the transfer case and that the 75w is primarily used for fuel efficiency. shown here

TCOIL.jpg

Valvoline 75w90 syn in all 3. I been running this in my 17 4R PRO for a long time now.
front diff
rear diff
transfer case.

Toyota even confirmed it with with someone stating that 75w90 is perfectly fine to use in the transfer case and that the 75w is primarily used for fuel efficiency. shown here

View attachment 176010
I’ve seen quite a few guys use 75w90 in the 4R’s transfer case issue free. I wouldn’t use it while under warranty unless there’s a disclaimer in the owners manual like there is for stepping up the engine oil viscosity.

any high quality 75w90 in all 3 will be perfectly fine. 99% of most toyota dealers dont even stock the 75w transfer oil. my brother inlaw is a long time service manager and has always told me they use 75w90 syn in the transfer cases in the 4R for many many years with no issues.
dont lose sleep over it. use high quality brand you'll be good to go.

Use whatever you want. I have a TRD ORP which is a bit newer. It also has a VF2A transfer case. The same transfer case that was in my '97 4Runner. That T-case was speced for 75w90 for years. It hasn't changed internally. The 75w spec, and the 75w85 spec for the diffs is all about a very slight increase in fuel economy. Me? I like Redline gear oil, and have Redline 75w90 for the diffs and T-case when I get around to changing it.

Back