HPL 75w-90 Differential Life for all?

Should I use HPL differential life 75w-90 w/limited slip additive for all my diffs or should I call them and order some without the limited slip additive for the ones that are not limited slip?

referring to cars in my sig.

Do you tow heavy with anything? Only reason I ask is a 90 is kind of light for towing, especially in that '97 Dodge.

Only reason I ask is a 90 is kind of light for towing, especially in that '97 Dodge.
We have lots of experience with the differentials in pre 2003 Dodge Cummins 3500s. You want a 75w-140 to try to save the differential if you tow heavy, but you won't keep it from eventually chewing itself up. The 2003+ RAMs have the American Axle 14 bolt differential, which is tough as nails and 75w-90 is fine in those.

When I did all the oil changes on my 19 ram 1500 5.7 I bought the ram additive but was told by amsoil it was already in it.
IMG_0095.jpeg
IMG_2087.jpeg

We have lots of experience with the differentials in pre 2003 Dodge Cummins 3500s. You want a 75w-140 to try to save the differential if you tow heavy, but you won't keep it from eventually chewing itself up. The 2003+ RAMs have the American Axle 14 bolt differential, which is tough as nails and 75w-90 is fine in those.
D70 or D80. 75w90 is fine.

So in my `97 Ram, add slip lock additive also? or is that just specific to the above `19 Ram 1500 5.7?

There have been a lot of threads on gear lubes lately; in all honesty for probably 99% of people anything off the Mil-spec J2360 list that @dnewton3 has referenced several times is more than enough, and guarantees a good lube if it’s on the approved list.

With some differentials, especially Torsen, there have been discussions about the no LS/ however much a given lube has LS/ and also some diffs actually need more of the LS additive than comes in the lubes.

It’s been years since I’ve owned anything that needed LS additive; the Motul Gear 300 doesn’t have it IIRC because it’s a transmission fluid and diff lube… the HPL I bought does have it but it doesn’t matter since my truck has an E-locker. I don’t think it’s a big issue if the LS is added unless a given application specifically excludes its use.

So in my `97 Ram, add slip lock additive also? or is that just specific to the above `19 Ram 1500 5.7?

I don't know anything about the 97, my comments were for the 5th gen (2019+) rams but might apply to the 4th gen as well.

I My 2500 specs XXW90 from the factory. :/ [/QUOTE] And 5W-30 too..... So why the 0W-40 M1? It's pretty common to up a grade when heavy towing. [ATTACH type="full said:
197598[/ATTACH]

[QUOTE="I I was just saying that as a 3/4 ton truck is usually meant for towing/working hard and GM still specs it as a W90.
[/QUOTE]
Was a time when the manufacturers actually had "severe duty" recommendations in the book. Now we get stuff like "your engine was built to run on regular but we recommend premium"

We pay exorbitant amounts of money for these things and get stuff like that.

Apologies I
Like the staff member said above, back when Moses wore short pants the consensus was to run 75/140 to tow heavy. I know Ford tells me that their own proprietary wierdo 75/80 (or whatever it is) is good to go for everything in the manual for my '18 but that's not how I went.

There have been a lot of threads on gear lubes lately; in all honesty for probably 99% of people anything off the Mil-spec J2360 list that @dnewton3 has referenced several times is more than enough, and guarantees a good lube if it’s on the approved list.

With some differentials, especially Torsen, there have been discussions about the no LS/ however much a given lube has LS/ and also some diffs actually need more of the LS additive than comes in the lubes.

It’s been years since I’ve owned anything that needed LS additive; the Motul Gear 300 doesn’t have it IIRC because it’s a transmission fluid and diff lube… the HPL I bought does have it but it doesn’t matter since my truck has an E-locker. I don’t think it’s a big issue if the LS is added unless a given application specifically excludes its use.
Motul Gear 300 comes with 2 flavors, 1 is transmission fluid with GL4/GL5 rating with no LS additive, and the other one is GL5 rating for differential with LS additive.

Personally, unless I plan on leaving that fluid for a VERY long time, I’d skip on it. But some peoples pockets are much deeper than mine. I would get some syn gear oil from Walmart and call it a day. I’d change that at factory recd intervals though.

Im sure hpl has great ingredients but for a regular bro like you and I who doesn’t tow or have demanding applications, I’m sure regular old Walmart provides us with everything we need. (Including old spice deodorant ;))

Back