Rav 4 Prime?

And they actually perform. This is Motortrend testing. One set of numbers is a Stelvio Ti Sport, one is a RAV4 Prime.

0-60 MPH5.5 sec
QUARTER MILE14.1 sec @ 98.7 mph
BRAKING, 60-0 MPH127 ft
LATERAL ACCELERATION0.83 g (avg)
MT FIGURE EIGHT27.0 sec @ 0.65 g (avg)

0-60 MPH5.4 sec
QUARTER MILE14.0 sec @ 97.3 mph
BRAKING, 60-0 MPH127 ft
LATERAL ACCELERATION0.82 g (avg)
MT FIGURE EIGHT26.9 sec @ 0.67 g (avg)
Thats really good performance for a reliable high MPG Toyota! I'd probably let my Golf go if there were tons of Rav4 primes to choose from in Utah for delivery in the 2021 year. That tax credit would be nice and i could probably do all electric in it 90% of the time.

Reactions: Ws6
ETA: I just checked. They charged me $1350 for 4 CrossClimate 2, 235/55/19 105H tires and Toyota mud flaps all around, all installed. Legit a good deal. Sadly I did not get credit for the OEM tires they took off, and their rationale is that 235/55/19 is a wonky size, and they aren't wrong. Oh, well. OEM tires aren't worth the energy it would take for me to carry them to the dumpster, so I digress.

If the dealer was just going to toss the OEM tires, which are $220 each to replace, I would have been inclined to take them and keep them in storage. The CrossClimates will not last forever driving 30,000+ miles per year, and having the OEM tires in storage just means you have a new set of tires ready when you need them.

Even if you didn't want to store them, they could be sold locally as a set for $300-$400.

If the dealer was just going to toss the OEM tires, which are $220 each to replace, I would have been inclined to take them and keep them in storage. The CrossClimates will not last forever driving 30,000+ miles per year, and having the OEM tires in storage just means you have a new set of tires ready when you need them.

Even if you didn't want to store them, they could be sold locally as a set for $300-$400.
Mayhap. Id never use them, and I don't know anything that takes 235/55/19, so thats a stoopid narrow market.

So the new R4P is better in every way than the best car ever GT-R and should be cross-shopped by people considering Teslas. Astounding!

Hmm....look familiar?
stormtrooper_PNG46.jpg

Last edited:
So the new R4P is better in every way than the best car ever GT-R and should be cross-shopped by people considering Teslas. Astounding!

Hmm....look familiar?
View attachment 72858
It's more useful than a Tesla t o me, but the Tesla would outperform it I have no doubt. I just never would consider a Tesla at this time. Quality aside (they are slowly getting a handle on it), the range just won't work, especially in the cold. When it gets to -20*F, I don't want battery only. Also keep in mind, the Prime wasn't available when I bought my CX5 GT-R.

I sure hope GM is paying attention to the Rav4 after spending billions on the Volt line and throwing it away. We have legit car enthusiasts buying Rav4 Primes now. Not just your pocket protector nerd EV buyers.

Big Miss there GM on not building a PHEV crossover like the "blazer" for example would have been perfect as a PHEV built on volt technology. Skipping straight to pure electric is not what many want.
With most things in life there seems to be a very fine line between enthusiast and nerd...

I would disown you if you put those on a Q5, lol.

Tires are a very subjective topic for auto enthusiasts. Many people simply want a name brand tire that is black, round, and has tread on it. For people that may be leasing and need to put new tires on before turning in a vehicle, or owners that just need to replace tires for their daily, they would have no issues running brand new OEM take-offs at a discount over what they would have paid at at the tire shop.

I am highly considering a RAV4 Prime as my next car, if there is not a Camry Prime by then. The value and flexibility are incredible for the price when you factor everything in. Plus, the extra power would be great.

Yeah but if it's like other Toyotas it's more like 64 if you calculate it. ;) Our RAV4 not Prime always calc'd optimistically.

Is that gas or gas/electric combined ?
By the time I got to the pump, it was sitting at 66.1mpg on my readout. I filled the tank on auto to the first click, then I gently filled to thebsecond coick by hand. I then calculated by dividing the 734mi by 11.1 gallons, and got 66.12mpg.

Prime bump!

Dareo will remember that I'm a sucker for deals on vehicles and track expenses closely. My first new car was due to VW's dieselgate giving me an awesome deal on a new GSW.
So when I saw that my 2016 GSW kept increasing in value... I told myself, if it gets to $12k I'll sell it and replace it. Originally I had planned on keeping it for another 1-2 years - it was a little over 5 years old and had 72k miles ($18.5 + TTL new!). I figured it was worth $9k privately as there was a dent/crease (small, and not that bad actually) on a rear quarter panel. Base model. Stick shift. Used car values made me jump - I knew that in 2 years the GSW would be worth a good bit less.
Well in June 2021 I sold it and replaced it with ... Rav4 Prime SE. I got 1.24% interest from DCU for a loan, so I put the $ from the VW into the market and just financed nearly the whole thing. $700/mo payments - WTH. That's so abnormal for me. Over twice the cost of my GSW!!! But with the tax credit, and rarity of the R4P, it has increased in value and I can sell it today and pocket thousands (net after tax credit). High resale, so I don't plan on owning it all that long, actually.

We also have a Prius Prime, and used the GSW for camping/climbing trips where we need storage space. The Rav is taking over that role. Nearly identical storage/cargo capacity vs the wagon, but it has higher ground clearance and the adaptive cruise that we wanted. That was a main driver for the upgrade - lane centering and adaptive cruise on road trips makes the drive much less tiresome. Also I'm not irked by the vehicle slowing down with ACC b/c its regenerating! If I was in a Subie (was sure we'd get an Outback) I'd be annoyed each time it slowed down and sped back up, wasting gas.

The Rav4 Prime and hybrid have amazing powertrains, IMO. Toyota hybrid design and implementation is something I'll be hard pressed to go away from on future vehicles. Long-term I'd rather own a Rav4 XLE hybrid, as it gets 10% better mpg, and we can just use the Prius Prime for local EV miles. A bit more cargo space than the R4P and I'd be much more comfortable scratching up and soft-roading in a cheaper vehicle. ($31k vs $42k) I don't need the 300 hp either! I'd be happier with more efficiency. lol (thread drift - if Ford would allow adaptive cruise on the XLT level hybrid Maverick, I'd be tempted for that as a cheaper alternative, but you must load it up to get ACC at over $31k - kills the cheap vibe)

The PHEV tax credit won't always be around, so that $7500 along with the Prime's exclusivity makes it an easy call for short term ownership. I might replace it with another one in 2022 to try and get a more base model SE without the moonroof package. If I can find one...

Ws6 - great vehicle choice!
We pay 25c/kwh here and it still is cheaper than gas per mile by 25% roughly. Would love our own solar setup, but our electric bill is low enough that break even is too far off to deal with installing currently.

Attachments

• PXL_20211015_194135408.jpg
    PXL_20211015_194135408.jpg
    303.3 KB · Views: 10
  • PXL_20211016_011708759.jpg
    PXL_20211016_011708759.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Prime bump!

Dareo will remember that I'm a sucker for deals on vehicles and track expenses closely. My first new car was due to VW's dieselgate giving me an awesome deal on a new GSW.
So when I saw that my 2016 GSW kept increasing in value... I told myself, if it gets to $12k I'll sell it and replace it. Originally I had planned on keeping it for another 1-2 years - it was a little over 5 years old and had 72k miles ($18.5 + TTL new!). I figured it was worth $9k privately as there was a dent/crease (small, and not that bad actually) on a rear quarter panel. Base model. Stick shift. Used car values made me jump - I knew that in 2 years the GSW would be worth a good bit less.
Well in June 2021 I sold it and replaced it with ... Rav4 Prime SE. I got 1.24% interest from DCU for a loan, so I put the $ from the VW into the market and just financed nearly the whole thing. $700/mo payments - WTH. That's so abnormal for me. Over twice the cost of my GSW!!! But with the tax credit, and rarity of the R4P, it has increased in value and I can sell it today and pocket thousands (net after tax credit). High resale, so I don't plan on owning it all that long, actually.

We also have a Prius Prime, and used the GSW for camping/climbing trips where we need storage space. The Rav is taking over that role. Nearly identical storage/cargo capacity vs the wagon, but it has higher ground clearance and the adaptive cruise that we wanted. That was a main driver for the upgrade - lane centering and adaptive cruise on road trips makes the drive much less tiresome. Also I'm not irked by the vehicle slowing down with ACC b/c its regenerating! If I was in a Subie (was sure we'd get an Outback) I'd be annoyed each time it slowed down and sped back up, wasting gas.

The Rav4 Prime and hybrid have amazing powertrains, IMO. Toyota hybrid design and implementation is something I'll be hard pressed to go away from on future vehicles. Long-term I'd rather own a Rav4 XLE hybrid, as it gets 10% better mpg, and we can just use the Prius Prime for local EV miles. A bit more cargo space than the R4P and I'd be much more comfortable scratching up and soft-roading in a cheaper vehicle. ($31k vs $42k) I don't need the 300 hp either! I'd be happier with more efficiency. lol (thread drift - if Ford would allow adaptive cruise on the XLT level hybrid Maverick, I'd be tempted for that as a cheaper alternative, but you must load it up to get ACC at over $31k - kills the cheap vibe)

The PHEV tax credit won't always be around, so that $7500 along with the Prime's exclusivity makes it an easy call for short term ownership. I might replace it with another one in 2022 to try and get a more base model SE without the moonroof package. If I can find one...

Ws6 - great vehicle choice!
We pay 25c/kwh here and it still is cheaper than gas per mile by 25% roughly. Would love our own solar setup, but our electric bill is low enough that break even is too far off to deal with installing currently.
I believe the Prime is eligible for the HOV sticker

I'm happy with my HiHy. Except for the climbing mpg it gets when I go to Mammoth... dropped down to 30 mpg when I went to Yosemite from the 395 side... when my cargo box goes on with my snowboard inside... I hope the mpg doesn't drop too much. But when I head back to sea level, it should get much better mileage.

I believe the Prime is eligible for the HOV sticker

I'm happy with my HiHy. Except for the climbing mpg it gets when I go to Mammoth... dropped down to 30 mpg when I went to Yosemite from the 395 side... when my cargo box goes on with my snowboard inside... I hope the mpg doesn't drop too much. But when I head back to sea level, it should get much better mileage.
With a skybox on top our hybrid mpg drops to 32 going from sea level to Tuolumne. Identical to what the old VW wagon got (turbo gas, no HV-battery!) That car really was a CUV alternative.
I do like accumulating all the regen miles coming down from the mountains, though. I just think its awesome to capture what was previously wasted energy.
The Sienna hybrid is super tempting - turn it into a road-tripper/camper setup. Great alternative to a Sprinter setup, if you can do without a bathroom/shower inside.

Back