Rate my tire damage: repairable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a good size hole. Likely can be repaired if you can find someone that will plug the hole and also carefully patch the inside. With a good solid plug and patch repair it should be fine for in town driving. I likely would not do any long distance high speed interstate style driving on it.

That's at a very critical location at the end of the belts and it would not be safe to repair.

So here's why that tire is not repairable: The belt ends are there.

The belt ends are the most highly stressed area (volume) in the tire. Remember the Ford/Firestone thing a few years back? Belt end failures!!

Risk?

It was estimated that the Firestone tires were failing at a rate of 1/2 to 1/4 percent. I've estimated based on a survey done by the RMA (Rubber Manufacturers Association), that the failure rate for repaired tires is about 3 times higher than the failure rate for unrepaired tires.

If I take into account that in the 14 years since the Ford/Firestone situation, there has been a 10 fold improvement in failure rate, then we are talking about a repaired tire failure rate of 0.15% - or about 1 in 700.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I ordered a new set of tires today, and I'll have the three good Yokohamas for sale next week if anyone is interested.

Originally Posted By: stephen9666
repairArea.gif

Thanks for sharing that handy graphic from DT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back