Rant: About to leave my four year college

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not quite sure why more respect is shown/taught towards martial arts instructors by their students.

Originally Posted by spackard
Not quite sure why more respect is shown/taught towards martial arts instructors by their students.

Isn't it obvious? They can easily kick your rear...

Eventually the legal system will have to address BIAS based on ones political viewpoint. Hopefully the Covington HS boys case is the start.

You call professors professor out of respect. I had a professor once tell me that no one ever calls him buddy after I called him buddy, lol. They dedicate a lot of time to studying things and they have definitely earned that title. Calling someone with a PhD in humanities "doctor" seems to be reserved for department brownnosers.

I studied politics in a Canadian university from 2009-2014. I graduated before the SJW stuff really started to kick off (they banned edgy halloween costumes a year or so after I graduated) but I can't imagine what it would be like now. Here in Ontario, the provincial government had to step in and force universities to enact free speech codes on campus.

Millenials really ruined universities. Things really got bad about the time that they would be finishing up a PhD and starting to teach and then Trump gets elected, a perfect storm.

One year of college was enough for me at Butler Co Community College in El Dorado. Went a different path and now im semi retired with a car already paid for. Want a education worth a crud; join the Navy!

Before I clicked on the thread, I thought it was going to be about USC or one of the other schools involved in the latest cheating scandal.

Anyway, professors have always gone by Prof. or Dr. and not Mr. or Ms. She is not wrong in that regard. Grad students/TA's go by their first names.

I'm surprised you don't already have the 2-year degree. How far along were you when you transferred? I know most states have articulation agreements between community colleges and the 4-year schools, and most people that go from community college to 4-year have completed the 2-year degree.

Was this particular professor one of the criminal justice profs? Or is this for one of those "core course" requirements? Do you have any specific career plans?

Does your current school have a grade replacement policy? Many schools let you repeat a certain number of courses where you originally got a D or F, and once you do, the original D/F no longer counts towards your GPA, although it remains on the transcript. So, if you can retake the class with a different instructor, that may be an option. Even if you drop out and go back to the 2-year school, it will still be in your best interest to repeat the class if you can do so for a better grade.

A holes are everywhere and if you are going into the legal system you will be dealing with them.

I'm sorry for you but the reality is, you need to tough it out, and many PhD have ego problem and they just can't handle it when people don't call them by the Dr, or make fun of them calling them Dr. As you grow older you'll realize you can actually turn them to your advantage (even if you hate butt kissing) and make it your competitive advantage by doing what they like and say what they like to say.

The reason we have anonymous places to express ourselves is we have to keep our cover and play the game. We can call them what they are as long as we don't have to deal with them in real life. These A holes are everywhere left right domestic foreign male female, you name it they have it.

Tough it out, the world is brighter for you and for the people you want to help.

Originally Posted by spackard

Because they are there to teach you disciplines, not just how to throw punches. You need disciplines to train and grow, and team work to do the real fighting in a team (military style).

Originally Posted by E365
Drop out of the college just because you don't like one teacher?! I'm a big fan of "Cooperate To Graduate".

That's just life. You have to put up with people you don't like. Keep your head down, power-through and move on with your life.

+2 dude, real life is full of people you have to work with, but may dislike. I want to point out a few things, maybe they are obvious. First, there is a LOT of haters of Trump, both domestic and worldwide. It is just a fact, just like there are haters of every president going back to FDR, Lincoln and Washington. Some of the most widely liked presidents at the time they served, are now considered by historians to be ineffective leaders. You will find plenty of conservative profs as well. Second, higher education is rife with liberal-leaning professors, just as the population in general has liberal leaning people. You need to work with them as well. Third- your prof worked very hard to get her PhD, and it is a badge worn with honor. In no way were you singled out for the Ms. title- all PhD's do it , some more than others. Make a note of it, and consider it a life lesson that you just happened to learn from her. Medical doctors do the same thing, as do judges. I know in my area that has state troopers, it is an insult to call them "officers" instead of "trooper". I am sure you can find other examples.

My advice, having been in the same situation: go visit her during her office hours- arrive at the beginning and be prepared to wait your turn. Start out with apologizing about the title,and let her know that it was an honest mistake and a lesson learned. Then work into tips on how to improve in the class. The fact that you are asking for help sets you apart from 50% of the class. You might even get an opportunity for extra credit, but only if you address this now. Final exam time is generally too late. If you do poorly in the class, you can repeat it, although generally you can only take a class twice. See if there are study groups. College life is a great experience; parties, booty, education and lifelong contacts. One or three botches classes should not ruin the entire experience.

I'm surprised you don't already have the 2-year degree. How far along were you when you transferred? I know most states have articulation agreements between community colleges and the 4-year schools, and most people that go from community college to 4-year have completed the 2-year degree.
I'm going to have 46 after this semester. I transferred at the beginning of my Sophomore year.

Was this particular professor one of the criminal justice profs? Or is this for one of those "core course" requirements? Do you have any specific career plans?
She's a CJ profs and sadly its a required class for CJ. I really hope to work as a Trooper/Deputy some day. From the people I've talked to they say a bachelors degree won't matter much in a typical LEO setting, as long as its not administrative. So I was just trying to get my associates degree.

Does your current school have a grade replacement policy? Many schools let you repeat a certain number of courses where you originally got a D or F, and once you do, the original D/F no longer counts towards your GPA, although it remains on the transcript. So, if you can retake the class with a different instructor, that may be an option. Even if you drop out and go back to the 2-year school, it will still be in your best interest to repeat the class if you can do so for a better grade.
I'm pretty sure it does have a replacement policy. I haven't actually gotten a grade for the semester yet, just that one assignment. Otherwise I haven't been doing to bad.

Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta
Am I in the wrong here?

I think so. Anyone who has earned a PhD, a MD, a DVM, a DMD, etc is entitled to be called Doctor. A professor without these degrees should be called Professor. They're entitled to a little respect, especially in an academic environment.

Yes some professors have favourite topics. You'll find that happens everywhere in life. Get used to it.

Not every class in a university course will be first rate. It would be nice if they were. But they all aren't and that's just how it is.

If you want a degree you have to pass both the good courses and the not so good courses. An employer knows that someone with a degree has a certain amount of smarts and a lot of stick-to-it-ness. People with degrees are more likely to have the opportunity in their careers to show they can handle difficult problems (some of which aren't that much fun either).

Worst case scenario she doesn't like you, and she'll always give you a D, that's life. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle. No matter how much you hate your professors, learn from them, they are your betters.

Finish up the 4 yr degree, the 2 yr is not going to be much help unless you have military background. Also, a 4 yr degree shows that you can accomplish great things, and is respected in many fields. When I was getting started in IT, I found a lot of good programmers and related staff had a BA in History or a similar discipline. They might have gone to technical school , or OJT etc, but employers gave them a break even if the degree was unrelated.

She's a CJ profs and sadly its a required class for CJ. I really hope to work as a Trooper/Deputy some day. From the people I've talked to they say a bachelors degree won't matter much in a typical LEO setting, as long as its not administrative. So I was just trying to get my associates degree.

You're pretty much right as far as the degree goes. It might have a positive effect on getting you hired, but you'll likely get hired at an entry level position and have to climb the ladder just like Joe Schmoe off the street. You'll also likely have to go through the entire Kansas POST approved training program in order to be mandated unless you're specifically taking a track of study that covers that, which would include defensive tactics and firearms training.

Now, once you've been in LE for a while and are on the path to your final goal, the degree will help with certain certifications, but if Kansas is anything like GA it's only required to get the certification.

For example, I've been through all of the 'Supervision' classes, but I cannot get the 'certification', however I am fully eligible (According to my SO's policies) for promotion into supervisor roles (which I am). So the lack of college didn't hold me back there, but going forward they'll encourage me to get a degree. Still not strictly necessary as they still put more weight on performance as opposed to paper certifications.

Of course, your state and your agency will vary. Some agencies will pay more for college degrees, doesn't necessarily make you better built for dealing with the things we have to deal with.

Troopers (Here in GA) are a whole different breed. I'm not sure what makes their world tick except writing tickets and working fatalities. Local (SO's and Local PD's) are fairly similar state wide here.

Last edited:
I haven't actually gotten a grade for the semester yet, just that one assignment. Otherwise I haven't been doing to bad.

How much does that assignment count towards your grade in the course? If it counts for a lot, you may still be able to drop and get a W which has no effect on your GPA. And if it's offered over the summer, the summer classes aren't usually taught by their regular professors, mostly grad students. And is she the only instructor who teaches this course?

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
I haven't actually gotten a grade for the semester yet, just that one assignment. Otherwise I haven't been doing to bad.

How much does that assignment count towards your grade in the course? If it counts for a lot, you may still be able to drop and get a W which has no effect on your GPA. And if it's offered over the summer, the summer classes aren't usually taught by their regular professors, mostly grad students. And is she the only instructor who teaches this course?

Its worth a little bit, not terrible though. Unfortunately im passed the W period. I think she is, but there is no summer class for the course.

Back in the day, (and likely today) it was called 'playing the game'. Like it or not it happens in more than just the college/university setting and the further you go in life the more you will find it's true.

As for the Ms term, I'm thinking perhaps it was more acceptable in the past to avoid distinction of Miss or Mrs. or when unknown. I think now it's become rather obsolete. As noted by the prof, even using first name to start with would be preferable. In the case of said professor, she is entitled to be addressed in a manner befitting her degree and/or position. Even if you don't agree, it's part of 'playing the game'.

And since it came first in the rant, it seem the profs ideology (P) puts you off most. Guess you have to decide if simply ignoring it at least outwardly, is worth it to get your 4 year degree. Playing the game.

Playing the game.. I like it! Sayjac nailed that. If you don't think you'll pass talk to your advisor and see if that be any help. I have had one class I couldn't do anything right either (similar situation) but was able to squeak by with a C, the lowest I've ever got. One more class and I'm done unless I get excepted for the MBA. Park University has a pretty good online program BTW. Sounds like we're going to have a BITOG graduating party.
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back