Rant: About to leave my four year college

Status
Not open for further replies.
background: At the beginning of the current 2018-19 school year I transferred to a more prestigious (for Kansas anyways) 4 year college from my community college. One of the only reasons I wanted to do it was because this college is probably the most respected criminal justice college in the state.

Well i'm tired of the campus BS. Every time I go to class the professor talks about racism, abortion,PETA, BLM ,or how Donald Trump misspelled something (she has a full blow case of TDS). Pretty much everything that doesn't have to do with the classes. Yet, I have never seen any of it. The professor talks about how everyone is marginalized besides white males.

Well today I get an email from her because she was upset that I called her Ms. in one of her papers. I have never had this problem before. No one has EVER called me out for trying to be polite. This the direct quote from her email. About the Assignment.
Please don't use Ms.

I understand that in other contexts it may be a term of respect, but for people who have earned a PhD, it feels less so. I would prefer Dr. (name) or Professor (name), or honestly, even just (name) is better.

As for this assignment, the materials were to have been from the last 15 years.
Ended up getting a D on this. Yet she never said what I did wrong besides it wasn't from the last 15 years, even though I still can't find that requirement from the assignment page.

I'm thinking about leaving it and just getting my 2 yr degree from the community college and being done with school. I'm starting to think college isn't what it was intended to be.

Am I in the wrong here?

I'm trying my hardest to keep this thread appropriate for BITOG.

There is no way I could tolerate being in class with a teacher like the one you described. I have no use for those who are "impressed" with themselves. If I were you I would try to transfer out of her class ASAP or leave the university. I have two college degrees and thankfully my professors kept their political opinions to themselves.

Nope not wrong. I'm glad I got my degree back before the SJW stuff creeped into every aspect of college.

You might like the site Campus Reform if you are curious to see how bad a problem this is.

Sounds to me like she's not getting any and is just bitter and mad at the world. She's probably ugly as sin,huh! I would refuse to call her Dr,unless she's a physician who practices medicine. Don't quit school. Have a SERIOUS come to Jesus meeting with her asap.

Drop out of the college just because you don't like one teacher?! I'm a big fan of "Cooperate To Graduate".

That's just life. You have to put up with people you don't like. Keep your head down, power-through and move on with your life.

Last edited:
Getting a D needs to be explained … if she does not have time for that … I'd move on …
We hire 3.5+ only … companies can be that selective these days …

Originally Posted by E365
Drop out of the college just because you don't like one teacher?! I'm a big fan of "Cooperate To Graduate".

That's just life. You have to put up with people you don't like. Keep your head down, power-through and move on with your life.

I agree, a life skill is to put up with and work with people you don't like. It doesn't get any better in the outside world, and it doesn't get any better in the military. But it is also never as bad as you think, except maybe in the military where they can get you killed.

Learn what you can learn, quietly ignore what you think to be rubbish, be true to yourself on the inside, but pass all your exams for the outside world to see. Then when it's your turn to be in charge, make sure you do a better job than they did.

It's not what you learn in college, it's whether you graduate or not.

She sounds a little out there, but it's a legitimate complaint. I had the same problem even in high school, one of the teachers insisted on calling being called Dr. as he had a Phd. When I worked for a dentist in high school, I always called him Dr., never by first name even though his friends did.

Just do the best you can and if you believe you have a legitimate grievance petition and make sure your ducks are in row. Working with someone who is your superior with annoying views and is inflexible will only help you learn. Sorry Bud but this is life and your situation is only temporary you have the most influence in your situation.

Well, there are two issues. All that SJW stuff is the liberal influence on universities. Letting all that get to you is as bad as a liberal student in a conservative school getting all upset about something. My old fraternity has gone far left and they argue about pronouns. But "Ms" is the wrong salutation for a professor. I work with many PhDs and don't think they care that much being called Mr. or Ms or Miss in a casual setting but in an formal or academic setting, Dr. is the correct salutation.

Aside from the other matters, my first year biology prof would have torn you a new one if you called her "Ms."
wink.gif
She was an MD and justifiably proud of it. In fairness, though, her first lecture involved an approximately 10 minute talk about proper forms of address for academic personnel, which is quite fair. She didn't expect you to know better all on your own. She explained how to address people and why. So, I checked CVs of professors I had. Some were PhDs. One I knew was an MA, but was tenured since he was at the university since the dawn of time. He wasn't a doctor, but was Professor S.

I wasn't going to drop out. I would just finish my associates at the CC and be done.

Focus on what you want, your end goal. Is it winning a battle with some professor (who will probably spend their professional career there) over this point or is it your degree and long term career? Don't get hung up on this.

I double majored in Economics in a school with a liberal bend and a strong Marxian contingent in the Econ department. This was absolutely not me. I was on the business side, but had to take some courses where this became an issue. After a few verbal battles with a couple of my TA's, I realized early on what my goals were, sucked it up, enthusiastically told and wrote what they wanted to hear, got the grades and moved on. It was a life lesson.

I would politely push back on the grade if you have a legit gripe, focusing on a logical, not emotional or political argument, but don't push it. Going forward, call her whatever she wants to be called, agree, tell her whatever she wants to hear and move on.

Been there, it is irritating...good luck!

This was one of the reasons I enjoyed B school so much more than undergrad.

+1, who cares. I've had some classes I didn't like, just gotta muscle through it and be done. I'm 2 months away from my Bachelor's.

Originally Posted by Nick1994

+1, who cares. I've had some classes I didn't like, just gotta muscle through it and be done. I'm 2 months away from my Bachelor's.

Same as my son. He graduates in May. Awesome!

College (school in general) is a good representation of life. Just like your professors in college, you'll have bosses and supervisors you don't agree with but need to work with to make things happen, part of college is learning how to manage the situation and be productive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back