Ranger leaking antifreeze

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey,

So this morning I wake up and out of the corner of my eye I see something reflect from the morning sun underneath the truck. Look under there and there lies this green healthy big spot of coolant under my truck. I noted the spot was directly underneath my transmission. Before even going anywhere I opened up the hood to smell antifreeze, sure enough it was leaking from somewhere but couldn't find where. The smell of antifreeze is stronger on the passenger side engine compartment than on the drivers side.

I noted something very strange. The engine mount on the passenger side of the truck has 2 bolts anchored to the frame. The right side bolt is high and dry, but the left bolt is wet with coolant and I noted a very small puddle of coolant inside the bolt underneath. I.e sitting on the frame is where the puddle lies. I was able to reach my finger down in there and sure enough it was fresh coolant. What gets me is how did it get there in the first place?? I let the truck idle and looked around at the same time to see if I could find anything,,,,nothing. Turn off the truck, looked around again for a few minutes,,,,,nothing.

So it's obvious I'm leaking but where from I don't know. Worse case scenario a head gasket!? What do you all think it could be?? Any suggestions what to do?? On a side note, I've heard of a home remedy of putting eggs and pepper in your radiator, however, I don't see or have any evidence that the radiator is leaking. I'm kind of iffy of trying those stop leak additives but if you members can maybe reccomend a good one, I'd be willing to try it.

Also, I ran the heater to see if I could smell it through there,,,,,smells fine. What do you all think it could be??? Thanks,,,,AR

After I read your post I went outside and popped the hood on my Son's Ranger. Guess what- it was leaking too. Mine was coming from the upper radiator hose where it clamps to the pipe going to the thermostat housing (1995 4.0 V6). So I gave the clamp about 3/4 of a turn to tighten it. This seems to be a common problem when the weather cools a little bit, at least for me- maybe I dont tighten them enough.

It had a small leak last year, and I suspect it was the plastic heater control valve that the heater hoses connect to. On his, the valve connects to the heater hoses coming out of the firewall. There is about 12 inches of heater hose between the valve and the firewall. We replaced all the hoses, thermostat, etc., along with a new valve. The valve was only like $12-$15 at Oreillys.

Fix it. Don't band-aid it
crushedcar.gif

Hey,

Thanks for chiming in. I'm going to leave my Ranger sit overnight tonight then go out in the morning when I wake up(not a pretty site j/k) and peak around to see if I can find anything. If I can't find anything, I'll make a trip down to the Ford dealer and have them pressure test it.

BTW, why would the "big 3" use a leak stopper for factory fill??? One would think from the factory it shouldn't leak a drop of anything. Just a thought??? AR

Hey,

Ok got back from Sharpnack. Have some good news and bad news.

Good News- It's only a heater control valve. Ford quote me $20.?? to fix it. The part alone is like $15 and it's located on the passenger side of the engine compartment connecting the heater hoses. I looked it over with the Mechanic who looked at my truck and discussed it. Looks like something I can do myself in my driveway.

Bad news- My ball joints are shot to **** . The driver side upper is about to collapse. It's moving up and down in the spindle quite a bit. The passenger side upper is moving in the spindle as well but not near as bad as the drivers side. The lower are fine but the way I see it, if your going to replace 1 or 2, you might as well go ahead and fix all 4. So until I can save up some coin, my truck is pretty much just going to sit around and only drive it when necessary,,,,,,AR

Hey,

Well I finally got around too fixing the leak. Turns out it was the heater control valve. I went to Autobone and bought one. It put up a good fight at first but within 2 minutes I had it off, slipped the new one on, tighten down clamps, and resintall the vaccum line that goes to it. All is well now.

Still havn't done anything with the ball joints, gonna cost me some major mula. Just thought I would update,,,,,AR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back