Welded receiver tube

Seam is 90* from lateral pin holes.
Will get holes for bolts to frame and holes for bolt head acsess.
Which side get which?
Welded seam to frame, smaller holes, clamped to frame OR
Access holes in welded side, smaller holes in formed side, bolts in there to clamp to frame.
Will way is stronger?

Tube will be on front of truck, for trailer parking and some winching/recovery.
I do not expect big up/down loads, maybe left/right, probably longitudinal to pull.

THX!

I'd put the smallest holes possible thru seam -- AAAANNNNDDDD it probably doesn't matter

I'd also get actual receiver tubing as it has an oddball wt of something like .213" (or whatever) and makes for a great fit of 2" square.

I think we need a diagram ;)

Untitled.jpg

Where the bolt goes thru,you could build up the tube with a saddle type assembly. You pick the thickness and width,tack it on,

I've always cut an old receiver down to fit between the frame rails and then welded brackets to the end of the receiver when I'm building a front receiver hitch. Why are you making one from scratch?

The welded seam should be strong enough to drill a smallish hole in without causing issues, if it's a good weld.

It's F150, previously with tow hooks, so it has a bumper place, trim, frame holes, bolt and nuts - everything except a HF receiver tube.

I went practical - seam up the bolthead would ride poorly on the inside weld, so seam down the bolt head rides on a flat, formed section.
DONE!

Back