Auto designs and rust problems

It amazes me how bad Cobalt/G5’s are for sill rust - it’s almost a guarantee that sill will have been replaced, or just not be there, on the ones that are still on the road.
They just pour salt on the roads up here over and over - pour it on, plow it off, then pour more on.
Cars don’t stand a chance up here unless undercoated, never have.

Reactions: JTK
Was expecting 10k on trade in. Wasn't there for the actual disclosure, but it killed the deal when we showed the photos and offered $1k.

Boils down to maintenance imo.
Had a 2014 Ram come in, annual Krown treatments, offered $15k on trade. In the same hour had a 2014 F150 come in, same mileage. Every body panel had rust, started at the edges and rusted outvrockers, no Krown.
$4k offer.

What did the customer think or say when you showed them that and the fact it was not worth anything as a trade
Was expecting $10k on trade in. Wasn't there for the actual disclosure, but it killed the deal when we showed the photos and offered $1k.

Boils down to maintenance imo.
Had a 2014 Ram come in, annual Krown treatments, no rust, offered $15k on trade.
In the same hour had a 2014 F150 come in, same mileage. Every body panel had rust, started at the edges and rusted out rockers, no Krown.
$4k offer.

I think there have been improvements to corrosion resistance but also some poor designs that cause salt/dirt and water to build up in areas it shouldn't.

I really like the 2009-2014 Silverados, but every single one around here is a pile of rust, and they started rusting pretty early on, faster than any other Chevy pickup I've seen.

Jeeps pretty much rust out just sitting in the garage, although my dad's 2013 Grand Cherokee seemed to hold up a lot better to corrosion over 200k miles and lots of snow driving than previous generations of Jeep vehicles he owned.

My BMW and my sister's Jetta seem to have the best corrosion resistance so far. Her Jetta is at 200k+ with very little rust and lots of New Hampshire snow driving. Any of the Asian brands while more reliable mechanically seem to not last very long in the salt.

I use to wash my F510 off every time after I used it for the first couple years. But had switch and relay problems so I switched to blowing it off before use. But I never washed out the deck. Maybe use a scraper if I had it off and easy to get to. The deck is built like a tank.

The new mower, JD Z320m, the first year they made them everyone was bending the deck stepping on them to get on and off. Not hard to get on and avoid the deck but getting off is another story for this gimpy guy. It has a washout connection for a hose for the deck.

Jeeps pretty much rust out just sitting in the garage, although my dad's 2013 Grand Cherokee seemed to hold up a lot better to corrosion over 200k miles and lots of snow driving than previous generations of Jeep vehicles he owned.
Yeah, my '14 JGC (May '13 build) has seen 10 Michigan winters. No body rust and looks great underneath with minimal surface corrosion. That, and only one repair in 88K of driving (oil pressure sensor) convinced to buy a '22 GC. Hope the new one does as well.

Wife had a Fiat 128 Coupe. The unibody rusted and the left front wheel broke away when the suspension attachments failed. This was in snow and salt free Houston. Fiat bought the car back for $1200. A fair deal. Car was 5 years old.

I had a 1972 124 Sport Coupe. In 1979 it had several rust perforations…base of windshield & rear window also rocker panel…but at least the frigging wheels stayed on.

Yeah, my '14 JGC (May '13 build) has seen 10 Michigan winters. No body rust and looks great underneath with minimal surface corrosion. That, and only one repair in 88K of driving (oil pressure sensor) convinced to buy a '22 GC. Hope the new one does as well.
WK paint quality and rust resistance has been about the best I've seen of mainstream makes. Cherokee as well.
As for the WL, we'll see how it performs in 6 years or so.

2018 Aluminum F150, spends its time in PA. No corrosion yet. Certainly, the steel bits underneath are quite rusty, but the body looks great. Rotors had to be replaced due to excess rust.

I'm fairly sure that had I spent time under the truck when new, applying Corrosion X, MaxWax, it would be a huge help.

Yaris has 12 years rust guarantee. After that It’s horrible corrosion. Corolla too.
In Europe opel (gm) before 2010 are synonym for rust and corrosion, the Mazda until 2013 too. No need to wait 12 years, just 3-4:) of course it depends of salty roads, humidity and not the last the owner. I know pple that didn’t wash the new car for 1 year!

Back