'00 Toyota Solara Convertible - Yes or No?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Trav

Looks pretty clean on that side. When my wife bought her Solara Conv new the dealer changed the badges from chrome to gold.
33.gif
What a horror.
Guess where they ended up. Hint its big and round. LOL

The more i see of this car the more i like it. Rear bumper cover looks and fits OEM. I'm not seeing anything scary body wise. Rockers good and solid?

The plate in the cover looks like every other 3.0 that vintage i have seen.

Oh I didn't realize you had one of these cars. Are you guys happy with it? I know some people claim it flexes a lot due to it being a convertible. Not a deal breaker for me just curious.
Yeah the rockers are fine. The only thing is the dent and the cracked spoiler. The flat pieces, in the rear, near the window, are a little weather beaten. I guess that's to be expected with a convertible.

Originally Posted By: chad8
Remember , its a 6 . 2 valve covers. I wouldn't even bother 5 grrrr for a low mile car that will go 250+ is a decent deal. I had 2 sienna's with the 3.0 "sludge motors" I also have my best friend who works at a large Toy dealership. Every sludge motor he had torn down had signs of a lack of maintenance. A lot of the dip sticks had an almost grey foamy sludge.
Both my vans went 130+ before I sold them. I think that your engine might need a timing belt at 60000 and its an expensive bear to do. check it out first.
If you have someone who can do the body work cheaply , its an even better deal.
The solara is nothing more than a fancy camry so all the under pinnings are cheap too.
I drove a few of that vintage. i do not like the feel of the doors. It feels like you are closing a large gate. The driving position was not good for me either. Its more of a woman's / small person car.

You only need to pull the front to get a good idea of the condition the engine is in. The rear is too much work.

Yes, the TB needs to be changed every 90k miles or every 7 years. So you will need to change it ASAP, if it hasn't been done already.However, it isn't too difficult. Probably one of the easier TB jobs.

Originally Posted By: hypervish
Remember , its a 6 . 2 valve covers. I wouldn't even bother 5 grrrr for a low mile car that will go 250+ is a decent deal. I had 2 sienna's with the 3.0 "sludge motors" I also have my best friend who works at a large Toy dealership. Every sludge motor he had torn down had signs of a lack of maintenance. A lot of the dip sticks had an almost grey foamy sludge.
Both my vans went 130+ before I sold them. I think that your engine might need a timing belt at 60000 and its an expensive bear to do. check it out first.
If you have someone who can do the body work cheaply , its an even better deal.
The solara is nothing more than a fancy camry so all the under pinnings are cheap too.
I drove a few of that vintage. i do not like the feel of the doors. It feels like you are closing a large gate. The driving position was not good for me either. Its more of a woman's / small person car.

You only need to pull the front to get a good idea of the condition the engine is in. The rear is too much work.

Yes, the TB needs to be changed every 90k miles or every 7 years. So you will need to change it ASAP, if it hasn't been done already.However, it isn't too difficult. Probably one of the easier TB jobs.

Chad8, I pulled the dipstick and it was as clean looking as a new one. No varnish or spotting anywhere. It's got fresh oil in it. Looks like it was just changed. Thanks for the input.

Vish, I don't know if it's been changed. Probably not lol. OK that's an expense for sure. I'm sure it's not cheap.

Originally Posted By: Art_Vandelay

The price is what really got me. He's willing to take $5000 for it because of the bodywork. Book value in Fair condition is about $9000.

It's worth nowhere near $9000. $5500 if it's in good condition, and this one clearly needs cosmetic work. Maybe $3500 - $4000, but $5000 sounds high. It's a nearly 14 y/o car after all.

Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac

The price is what really got me. He's willing to take $5000 for it because of the bodywork. Book value in Fair condition is about $9000.

It's worth nowhere near $9000. $5500 if it's in good condition, and this one clearly needs cosmetic work. Maybe $3500 - $4000, but $5000 sounds high. It's a nearly 14 y/o car after all.

Well I was just going by Kelly Blue Book. Private Party sale price in fair condition was $9000 with this mileage. This thing was the same price as a Lexus ES 300 when it was new. I saw the bill of sale $34,000.

Not too sure what I would do in this particular situation; sorry.

BUT, I will tell you that my sister has a 2001 Toyota Solora 4-cyl that she got in 2002 with 23,000 miles as a CPO. That car took her through college and after with minimal maintenance, mind you. She would come home and say, dad, I think my car needs an oil change. And it would be 10k over! But even through the abuse, that car was virtually trouble free. It now has 208,500 miles on it. After a few runs of PU, the engine is smooth and runs great. She is just now in the market for a new car bc she needs something bigger.

Those cars are bulletproof.

Well I was just going by Kelly Blue Book. Private Party sale price in fair condition was $9000 with this mileage. This thing was the same price as a Lexus ES 300 when it was new. I saw the bill of sale $34,000.

Edmunds prices are more realistic.

Edmunds prices are more realistic.

I just checked Edmunds. You're right the difference is significant. They claim it's only worth $3500. Are either of these sites truly indicative of market value? Maybe I'll offer less now that I see this. Thanks for pointing it out.

We had one and gave it to the daughter in 08 and got the wife something else.
Use these guides as just that a guide. You cant drive a book and when you think about it a 55K convertible is only worth $500 more than any junker that ran in cash for clunkers?

My daughter got rid of the Solara when she got the Genesis Coupe and got full book for it private sale with 100k on the clock.
This is an easy flip if thats the way you want to go.

Originally Posted By: thorromig
If the top is in good shape--not dry rotted--snatch it up at that price with that low mileage!! Trav didn't hesitate to mention that he would take it and so would 2/3 of the rest of us if the funds were there. I always look when a Solara passes me whether im walking or driving. Nice looking car that have a very quiet drivetrain. Grab it Art!!

Thanks thorromig, I think I will! I'm hoping this is a low mileage jewel hiding under moderate body damage. If the valve cover pull goes well then I believe I'm looking at my next car.

Originally Posted By: Trav
We had one and gave it to the daughter in 08 and got the wife something else.
Use these guides as just that a guide. You cant drive a book and when you think about it a 55K convertible is only worth $500 more than any junker that ran in cash for clunkers?

My daughter got rid of the Solara when she got the Genesis Coupe and got full book for it private sale with 100k on the clock.
This is an easy flip if thats the way you want to go.

Thanks for the ownership feedback. Nice to know your daughter got full book value when selling it.
Convertibles hold their value better than almost any other type of car. I guess you're right about those book values. I just scanned ebay new and recently completed listings. Saw one with bidding up to $4000 and it had 225,000 on it. One with 125k just ended with the reserve not met at $5775. I'd rather have one with 55,000 that needs body work. All else being equal.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
I thought you were getting a Lexus ES. What happened? Between the ES and the Solara, I'd much rather have the ES.

Hey Pete, it was my intention to get the ES 300. I love that car. I just happened across this car accidentally and the low mileage/price caught my eye. If I don't get this then I'm still on the lookout for an ES 300.
I will admit to having a soft spot for convertibles though. I had a 76 Eldorado that I never quite got over. Every time I put the top down on that thing it was a better experience than the last. There's just something about driving a living room down the road, with the wind in your face, that is very hard not to love.

I hear ya. I can see myself and the wife get a third car at some point and it could possibly be a convertible, especially if we move further south. But it sure won't be anything that feels and drives like a living room.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
I hear ya. I can see myself and the wife get a third car at some point and it could possibly be a convertible, especially if we move further south. But it sure won't be anything that feels and drives like a living room.
smile.gif

Lol...it's an acquired taste. Besides you need to own an oil refinery to fuel one these days. I've never seen anything suck down gas like that 8.2.

Remember , its a 6 . 2 valve covers. I wouldn't even bother 5 grrrr for a low mile car that will go 250+ is a decent deal. I think that your engine might need a timing belt at 60000 and its an expensive bear to do. check it out first. I drove a few of that vintage. i do not like the feel of the doors. It feels like you are closing a large gate. The driving position was not good for me either. Its more of a woman's / small person car.

Thanks for this info...I had once recommended on Toyotanation that the cover be pulled, thinking (but not knowing for sure that there were 2) that the (front) valve cover would be easy and got criticized for that...nice to find out I was right...

As for the door...when I got my Camry the passenger door skin had been replaced withOUT the soundproofing foam pad attached to the inside and so it slammed like an aluminum storm door, a cheap one at that...adding the foam pad returned the "THUD" to the door so it now sounds more substantial, and "rich"...

Yes the timing belt is a bear and expensive...$1000-1200 if you change the water pump and seals...recommended...at the same time...but I've read that the new replacement is made from kevlar and will last a lot longer than the the original...so hopefully a one-time/100k maintenance...

The seating is high...you definitely feel that you're sitting ON the seat rather than IN it...much more family sedan-like (like the Camry) than sports-sedan...

All that said...it's a nice car...my cuz has the next gen convertable and it's sweet.

Last edited:
A competent shop around here would charge around $1000 - $1250 to repair the body work.

The exhaust manifold looks normal and the sealer in the trunk looks normal.

Don't know about the oil filler view, but Trav thinks it's OK, so that would be good enough for me.

I've read the camry convertibles do not have a lot of structural integrity, body flex, and the like. If you can live with that it would probably be an OK cruiser for the wife. Judging from those dents and ripped off air dam, it's been a wife's car already.

Originally Posted By: KitaCam

Thanks for this info...I had once recommended on Toyotanation that the cover be pulled, thinking (but not knowing for sure that there were 2) that the (front) valve cover would be easy and got criticized for that...nice to find out I was right...

As for the door...when I got my Camry the passenger door skin had been replaced withOUT the soundproofing foam pad attached to the inside and so it slammed like an aluminum storm door, a cheap one at that...adding the foam pad returned the "THUD" to the door so it now sounds more substantial, and "rich"...

Yes the timing belt is a bear and expensive...$1000-1200 if you change the water pump and seals...recommended...at the same time...but I've read that the new replacement is made from kevlar and will last a lot longer than the the original...so hopefully a one-time/100k maintenance...

The seating is high...you definitely feel that you're sitting ON the seat rather than IN it...much more family sedan-like (like the Camry) than sports-sedan...

All that said...it's a nice car...my cuz has the next gen convertable and it's sweet.

That timing belt job is really expensive. If I get the car I'll drive it around for at least a month and make sure it's rock solid before having it done.

Originally Posted By: KitaCam

That timing belt job is really expensive. If I get the car I'll drive it around for at least a month and make sure it's rock solid before having it done.

I'm sorry but $1000-$1200 is pushing it.

You can buy a timing belt kit off of ebay (includes cam seals, timing belt, water pump, crank seal, water pump gasket, drive belts, and thermostat + gasket) for $300. You don't even need all of that at only 50k miles, you can get a kit with only timing belt and water pump for around $100 all OEM parts by the way.

Labor is going to be around $400.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back