Ramps fory truck??

Status
Not open for further replies.
What ton rating would ramps need to be for a half ton pickup. Just regular ramps lile you drive up on to change the oil.

Yea that makes sense. But if a truck is 6000lbs do i need 3 ton ramps since im only pulling the front end of the truck on the ramps?

have a set of the heavier duty rhino ramps and they work great for my truck. had it on them for a couple days in a row one time and there were no issues

I have the 16k Rhino Ramps too, but I just looked at some Amazon reviews where the plastic failed and deformed. Have a look yourselves; the reviewers attached photos. I don't think I'll be using mine anymore.

You'll have to look at the specific ramps to see how they're rated. Does 3 tons mean on each ramp? Does it mean the total weight of the vehicle?

In any case, leave yourself a wide safety margin and get ramps that are rated for more than the load.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
I have the 16k Rhino Ramps too, but I just looked at some Amazon reviews where the plastic failed and deformed. Have a look yourselves; the reviewers attached photos. I don't think I'll be using mine anymore.

You'll have to look at the specific ramps to see how they're rated. Does 3 tons mean on each ramp? Does it mean the total weight of the vehicle?

In any case, leave yourself a wide safety margin and get ramps that are rated for more than the load.

Very well said, one trick which I have learned on this forum is to use one single jack stand underneath the car as a safety measure. Ramps are great but a jack stand can provide a bit of more safety measure.

Also depends how ramps have been stored and how much beating they are taking? Too many variables from load rating perspective.

Yea i definitely want to have overkill. Im wanting to buy a new set. Cant decide what ones to get.

I'd get metal constructed ramps with a capacity of at least 3000# each. I had my truck weighed recently and it came in at 5900#. They won't be taking the entire weight since two wheels remain on the ground.

I use these 12K rated Rhino ramps , I've had them for about 10 years.
I've had no issues with them .
Chevy Duramax 3/4 ton crew cab diesel ,1/2 ton 1989 Suburban, 3/4 ton GMC Vandura van and my current 3/4 ton Chevy truck have not deformed or caused me any concerns.
You can't go wrong with a higher weight rating than what your going to use them for.

I have used the Rhino ramps for about 6 months now, with no issues. I think the people that DO have issues are the ones that slam on the brakes when they reach the top. This can cause the ramp to slide on a smooth surface, allowing the supports to fold over and crush. I had this happen on metal ramps one time, so I think its a small risk with any ramp design.

I see you are in Tx so its not really applicable to you but Rhino ramps that age should be replaced out especially if they are going to be used in cold weather. I had an Excursion break them up badly, the plastic got brittle with age.

I have been using Rhino ramps for years. I backed over the incline area of one and it cracked a little piece off. They sent me new ones. I think the older Rhino ramps were better and stronger. They made the newer ramps to store together as a pair and are not as beefy (IMHO).

I think if a Rhino ramp was going to fail, it would fail driving up. Not after it's been up.

Many metal ramps do not have the same angle of incline as a Rhino ramp and you cannot use them on a car with low air dams in the front.

I have a set of Rhino ramps purchased at Walmart and have had no issues. However, I do use jack stands as an added safety measure. I like that they don't scoot when you drive up on them like my old metal ramps did.

This is the route I went recently to raise my Montero up since it is heavy and sits high. Jack and jackstand combo that seems to work quite well. It says they are out right now but I have had mine for a while and will likely by 2 more to raise entire vehicle off the ground. Originally I bought 2.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Powerbuilt-6000-Lb-UniJack-620471-/151459319406?hash=item2343adce6e:g:eek:-8AAOSwR0JUUoP~

Well i got the rhino ramps from Walmart. $40 and i used them today. Really nice ramps. They worked good and didnt even slip on the slick concrete floor in the shop. They ar 12,000lb ramps. Thanks for allyou guys input.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back